Baby Murders: Utah Woman Guilty of Killing Her 6 Newborn Babies After Birth; Remains Stuffed in Boxes
By Reissa Su | April 15, 2014 2:57 PM EST
A woman in Utah was charged for killing six of her seven newborn babies then putting their dead bodies in cardboard boxes. The boxes were found in the house where the 39-year-old Megan Hunstman used to live.
A newborn baby lies on a scale at a hospital in Suining, southwest China's Sichuan province in this September 14, 2007 file photo. REUTERS
According to the police, Ms Hunstman admitted during the investigation that she strangled her babies immediately after giving birth to each of them.
Ms Hunstman was arrested and detained in the Utah County jail where she was charged with six counts of infanticide. She admitted to murdering her babies in a span of 10 years. A judge set bail at $6.38 million in a hearing on April 15.
Authorities also found the remains of the seventh baby, but they believe the infant was a stillborn.
After a court hearing in Provo, Utah, District Judge Steven Hansen ordered bail at $1 million for each murder charge. Court spokeswoman Nancy Volmer said Ms Hunstman remained in jail for the bail hearing and only appears in a video conference.
Ms Hunstman has been formally charged, but it was not clear to Ms Volmer if she had access to legal services. An arraignment hearing was set for Ms Huntsman after formal charges were filed.
Police assigned to the case said Ms Huntsman is the only person of interest in the case and she remains cooperative during the investigation. Authorities arrested her when Darren Brad West, her estranged husband, found the remains of one baby while he was cleaning the garage.
According to the Salt Lake Tribune, Mr West is believed to have no part of the baby murders. Authorities were also planning to conduct DNA tests on the remains to determine their paternity.
The remains of six other babies were found all wrapped in a shirt or towel and stuffed in plastic bags. Each bag was stored in separate cardboard boxes in the former home of Ms Huntsman in Pleasant Grove. She lived there until 2011.
According to authorities, the babies that Ms Hunstman killed were born from about 1996 to 2006. Mr West was sentenced on state and federal drug convictions and is now living in a halfway house in Salt Lake City.
Neighbour Aaron Hawker, 73, was shocked to hear the news. He lives next door to the house where the babies were murdered. In a phone interview, Ms Hawker said Ms Huntsman had babysat his grandchildren about 10 years ago. He described Ms Huntsman as "shy" and did not see her looking pregnant.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- 15 Orgasms/Week, $27K/Yr Salary Not Bad for Professional Toy Tester Cara Houiellebecq (VIDEO)
- Thai’s Crackdown on Commercial Surrogacy Exposes Aussie Couple’s Appalling Deed
- 2014 Perseid Meteor Shower vs. Supermoon: Best to View Meteor Shower Display before August 12 to 13 Peak
- Australian Wanted Man Threatens Terror in Australia, Demands Release of Muslim Prisoners
- U.S. Woman Wins $66 Million in Lottery
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 6 Most Wanted Feature Upgrades for Next iPhone
- HTC One M8 Windows Phone to Launch for Verizon; Release Date, Price, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate for New Smartphone
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- Galaxy Note 4 Release Date Ahead of iPhone 6 Sept 2014 Debut; Specced-Up but Remains Plastic-Wrapped – Reports
- LG G2 Android 4.4.4 KitKat Guide: When to Hit Your Region and How to Install
- Update Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini with Android 4.4.2 KitKat
- LG G3 To Debut Moon Violet and Burgundy Red Shades in August; Upcoming LG Devices Roundup