Gold Holds near Three-week High on Ukraine Tensions
April 15, 2014 2:13 PM EST
Gold Near Two-week High as Ukraine Tensions Boost Safe-haven Bids
* Spot gold was steady at $1,325.90 an ounce by 0021 GMT, not too far from its 3-week high of $1,330.90 hit on Monday.
* Palladium was near its near three-year high of $816.10 on fears that U.S. sanctions on Russia would curb supply, and on prolonged mine strikes in South Africa.
* Pro-Russian separatists ignored an ultimatum to leave occupied government buildings in eastern Ukraine and instead seized more buildings as the government failed to follow through on a threatened military crackdown.
* U.S. President Barack Obama criticized Russia in a telephone conversation with Russian President Vladimir Putin later on Monday, saying Moscow's actions in Ukraine were not conducive to a diplomatic solution.
* SPDR Gold Trust, the world's largest gold-backed exchange-traded fund, said its holdings rose 1.80 tonnes to 806.22 tonnes - the first inflow since March 24.