Australian Stock Market Report – Midday 4/15/14
By Juliette Saly, CommSec Market Analyst | April 15, 2014 12:55 PM EST
Strong rebound in early trade.
The local share market is trading higher in the early session, rebounding from Friday and Monday's hefty losses thanks to strong gains on Wall Street overnight.
Wall Street (Photo: Reuters)
Despite a volatile last hour of trade, investors bought back into technology and blue-chip stocks, seeing markets in the US close near the highs of the day.
On our market, every sector is moving higher in the early session, with info tech stocks coming back after two sessions of profit taking. The S&P 200 Info Technology sector (XIJ) is the strongest sector, up 1.3 per cent.
Rio Tinto (RIO) has blamed bad weather for hampering its first quarter production. The world's second largest iron ore producer reported a 6pct drop in quarterly production of the commodity to 66.4 million metric tonnes. However output was up 8pct on the prior year. Copper output fell 6pct in the quarter to 156,000 tonnes. RIO shares are up 0.6 per cent in the early session to $63.63.
Oz Minerals (OZL) which focuses on copper and gold mining in South Australia, produced 18,182 tonnes of copper in the period, above expectations. OZL shares rose sharply in the early session and are firmer by 3.5 per cent at lunchtime to $3.88.
In economic news today, the Reserve Bank of Australia has released its monthly minutes from the April board meeting, noting that there have been "promising signs" of home building and consumer spending in the economy which have offset weaker mining investment and public spending. The RBA said the "most prudent course was likely to be a period of stability in interest rates".
The minutes have seen the Aussie dollar ease against the greenback. Earlier this morning one Australian dollar was worth US94.23c and at midday in the East the Aussie is worth US93.97c.
So far on the market, 465 million shares have changed hands, worth $1.3 billion. 454 were up, 221 were down and 247 were unchanged.
Japan's NIKKEI Index us up one per cent while the Shanghai Composite is down 0.5 per cent.
More from IBT Markets:
Follow us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Subscribe to get this delivered to your inbox daily
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date