Pope Francis Chats, Waves and Poses for 'Selfie' After Palm Sunday Mass
By Alyssa Ashley Lucas | April 15, 2014 11:08 AM EST
The crowd gathered during the Palm Sunday Mass in Vatican City couldn't have been in a more casual setting than on a regular day in a regular place as Pope Francis put his prepared homily aside and reportedly spoke spontaneously for about 15 minutes. If that wasn't enough, the Pope apparently made a chat, waved, and then posed for 'selfie' with the crowd after the said mass.
Pope Francis greets youths after leading the Palm Sunday mass at Saint Peter's Square at the Vatican April 13, 2014.
According to CatholicCulture.org, Palm Sunday marks the beginning of Holy Week wherein Jesus Christ's entry to Jerusalem is being commemorated. The Roman Catholic Church forms a Palm Sunday procession that is usually followed by the "Liturgy of Palm Sunday" wherein the priests and deacons of the church wear red vestments, which symbolizes the blood shed at Jesus' crucifixion, during the Mass.
But reports say that instead of following the normal order of homily, Pope Francis amicably went for a more casual tack. Though unusual, the pope seemingly got the public's hearts when his homily only included calling on people, including himself, to look into their own hearts and see how they are living their lives.
"Has my life fallen asleep?" Pope Francis asked the crowd, according to an Independent report, after having just heard a Gospel story wherein Jesus' disciples fell asleep before Judas betrayed him and before he was crucified.
"Am I like Pontius Pilate, who, when he sees the situation is difficult, washes my hands?" the pope added.
Fox News reported that the pope sounded tired and had to frequently pause to catch his breath, as he spoke for about 15 minutes during the Palm Sunday Mass in front of what was roughly a crowd of around 100,000 Romans, tourists and pilgrims.
The attendees were said to be clutching "olive tree branches, tall palm fronds or tiny braided palm leaves shaped like crosses that were blessed by Francis at the start of the ceremony."
Pope Francis went on by asking a question that the pope said should accompany the people throughout the Holy Week.
"Where is my heart?" the pope reportedly asked.
Later on, instead of moving away in his car, the pope having barely gotten inside, reportedly got off again and faced the packed St. Peter's Square to pose for "selfies" with the youth. The pope even started moving around, and apparently had gotten himself to drink some tea passed to him by the crowd.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Jonah Hill Solemnises Adam Levine and Behati Prinsloo's Wedding Ceremony
- Pope Estimates 1 in 50 Clergy are Paedophiles; AU Doubles the Number
- Pope Francis Vows to ‘Use the Stick Against the Paedophile Priests’
- World Cup 2014 Finals: Sourgraping Brazil Celebrates Defeat of Rival Argentina; ‘They Already Have the Pope, That’s Enough’
- Tweet of Travel to Middle East to Join Jihadists Leads Philippine Police to Capture Australian ISIS Supporter in Cebu
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales