Narendra Modi's Wife Jashodaben to be Recommended for Bharat Ratna Award by Assam CM Tarun Gogoi
By Rama Mohan | April 14, 2014 10:56 PM EST
Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi is going to recommend Narendra Modi's wife Jashodaben Modi for the honour of Bharat Ratna, the highest civilian award given by the Government of India.
Narendra Modi, prime ministerial candidate for the main opposition Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP). (Reuters file photo)
Jashodaben has been figured in the election nomination of the Bharatiya Janata Party's (BJP) prime ministerial nominee. In the wake of Jashodaben figuring in the nomination, there was a lot of enthusiasm all over the country over Modi's marital status as he was known to be a bachelor hitherto.
The Gujarat CM has mentioned Jashodaben as his spouse in the election nomination papers for the first time but ignored other details, like her income.
Describing Jashodaben as the embodiment of Indian womanhood and sacrifice, Gogoi on 13 April stated that while Modi is the "power hungry" sanyasi, his wife is the real sanyasin.
When Modi deserted her about 50 years ago to achieve his dreams, she spent a secluded life, and followed her husband's advice and studied further to get a teacher's job. Now she is retired and is understood to be getting pension. She is said to be living a life of virtues in anticipation to reunite with Modi.
The Assam Chief Minister told the media that he will write to the Government of India to bestow the highest civilian award to Jashodaben, considering the sacrifice she made for Modi.
Gogoi also made it clear that the Congress has not made Modi's marital status an election issue. The issue would not have any impact on the election outcome. "It is not an election issue, it is a human issue," PTI quoted the Assam CM.
According to media reports, Jashodaben married Modi in 1968 when he was 17 years old. She studied up to SSLC and started working as a schoolteacher. When she retired in 2011, she settled in the Rajosana village in Gujarat. Now after the episode of Modi naming her in his poll nomination papers, Jashodaben is reported to have been offering prayers that Modi should become the next Prime Minister of India.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Walking Is Superfood For Fitness; Celebrities Who Walk For Health
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
Join the Conversation
- Ukraine Under Pressure To Accept EU Brokered Gas Deal With Russia: Resists High Prices Demanded By Russia
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- U.S. Airstrikes Bring Relief To Syrian Kurds Near Turkey Border
- Obama’s Bid To Blame Intelligence Chief For Inaction On ISIS Backfires: McCain Asks Obama To Admit Own Mistakes
- Make Way For Afghanistan’s New First Lady, A Breaker Of Taboo
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates