New Technology Can Help Prospective Parents Meet Their Baby Even before it's Conceived
By Parismita Goswami | April 14, 2014 10:01 PM EST
Scientists have developed a new technology through which prospective parents can now have a glimpse of their baby's health and physical traits, much before it is even conceived.
Wiki Commons/Ed Uthman
New Technology Can Help Prospective Parents Meet Their Baby Even before it's Conceived (Wiki Commons/Ed Uthman)
The new 'Matchright technology' allows couples to choose sperm donors and create a digital embryo by virtually mixing the donors and the aspired mother's DNA. The technology will allow parents to screen out genetically disordered genes and thus reduce the risk of genetically inherited diseases.
The technology, which will soon be implemented in two American fertility clinics, could even give clear glimpses of the child's eyes, height, skin pigmentation and waist size, apart from the health-related risks.
"It covers any disease or any trait that has a genetic influence," said Lee Silver at Princeton University, co-founder of GenePeeks, the company involved in marketing the technology.
GenePeeks plans to apply the system to identify rare genetic conditions, such as Tay-Sachs and cystic fibrosis disease, which gets carried on to a child when both parents bear a mutated or disordered gene.
In order to screen genetic disorders, DNA sequencing of the prospective parents is carried out. But GenePeeks takes a further step in the screening and uses algorithms called 'Matchright algorithms' and, with its help ,digitally recreate the procedure of combining genetic information between an egg and a sperm, according to New Scientists.
However, the system will be well accepted only when a few numbers of children are born using this technology. Though the system may help couples opt out certain donors, it does not necessarily rule out the possibility of any mutation that might crop in during the embryo development or post-conceiving.
Photo credit: Wiki Commons/Ed Uthman
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Alien Base Found on Moon: UFO Enthusiasts Celebrate [Watch Video]
- Regular Sexual Intercourse Can Ward Off Erection Problems, Say Researchers
- Alien Mystery Solved: NASA Reveals the Truth About the Strange Figure Recorded on the Moon (Watch Video)
- Real Life Mermaid Swims in Paris: Viewers Amazed (Watch Video)
- Climate Change Has Given Birth to New Hybrid Species: Transformation Before Man's Eyes
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- Nexus 6 Release Date Dilemma with Motorola Shamu Details Pointing to Better Smartphone and Killer Features
- iPhone 6 Release Date Remains On Course for Sept-Oct 2014 as Apple Delays iWatch Debut to 2015