Michael Schumacher Shows 'Small Signs of Progress'
By Shruthi SU | April 14, 2014 9:45 PM EST
Legendary Formula 1 racer Michael Schumacher is showing 'signs of progress', according to his spokesperson/manager Sabine Kehm.
Schumacher has been in a medically induced coma since 29 December, after he suffered severe head injuries in a skiing accident at the French resort of Meribel.
Formula 1 legend Michael Schumacher is showing "moments of consciousness and awakening" after months of treatment at the Grenoble University Hospital.
"There are short moments of consciousness and he is showing small signs of progress," Kehm told German broadcaster ARD. "There are moments when he is awake and moments when he is conscious.
"Of course I am not a doctor, but medically, there is a distinction between being awake and being conscious, the latter meaning there is an ability to interact with his surroundings. I don't want to disclose details out of respect for the family, but we have no doubt at all in the abilities of the doctors treating Michael, they are experts in their field."
Kehm said Schumacher's family was overwhelmed by the support they received from fans around the globe. But what concerns them is the media speculations and expert opinions from people who are totally not connected to the situation.
"What upsets the family most is media quoting doctors who are not treating Michael and untruths are constructed from these," Kehm said. "It has been a problem when outsiders comment and it means we have to set the record straight, even when we don't want to."
The seven-time world champion has undergone two major operations after the accident, before being inducted into coma.
There were reports about his moments of consciousness and awakening even a week earlier. Fellow German and this season's leader Nico Rosberg was happy to hear the good news from the hospital.
"It's fantastic to hear," Rosberg said after the Bahrain GP race. "I am very happy, as is everybody else in the paddock. We know that his family would be very careful before releasing such good news. I hope he will continue to progress."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Kanye West, Ben Affleck, Serena Williams Are Victims Of Migraines: Ways To Tackle It
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
Join the Conversation
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Final: USA Vs. Serbia Live Streaming Info, Key Players And Preview
- The Rock Reveals He And John Cena Nearly Fought Backstage [VIDEO]
- Manchester United News: Man Utd. vs QPR Preview
- Maria Sharapova And Grigor Dimitrov Break Up News
- Reports Indicate Mayweather Has 2 Girlfriends: Bad Medina & Liza Hernandez
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date