Michael Schumacher Shows 'Small Signs of Progress'
By Shruthi SU | April 14, 2014 9:45 PM EST
Legendary Formula 1 racer Michael Schumacher is showing 'signs of progress', according to his spokesperson/manager Sabine Kehm.
Schumacher has been in a medically induced coma since 29 December, after he suffered severe head injuries in a skiing accident at the French resort of Meribel.
Formula 1 legend Michael Schumacher is showing "moments of consciousness and awakening" after months of treatment at the Grenoble University Hospital.
"There are short moments of consciousness and he is showing small signs of progress," Kehm told German broadcaster ARD. "There are moments when he is awake and moments when he is conscious.
"Of course I am not a doctor, but medically, there is a distinction between being awake and being conscious, the latter meaning there is an ability to interact with his surroundings. I don't want to disclose details out of respect for the family, but we have no doubt at all in the abilities of the doctors treating Michael, they are experts in their field."
Kehm said Schumacher's family was overwhelmed by the support they received from fans around the globe. But what concerns them is the media speculations and expert opinions from people who are totally not connected to the situation.
"What upsets the family most is media quoting doctors who are not treating Michael and untruths are constructed from these," Kehm said. "It has been a problem when outsiders comment and it means we have to set the record straight, even when we don't want to."
The seven-time world champion has undergone two major operations after the accident, before being inducted into coma.
There were reports about his moments of consciousness and awakening even a week earlier. Fellow German and this season's leader Nico Rosberg was happy to hear the good news from the hospital.
"It's fantastic to hear," Rosberg said after the Bahrain GP race. "I am very happy, as is everybody else in the paddock. We know that his family would be very careful before releasing such good news. I hope he will continue to progress."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tasks Engineers to Create the Perfect Tennis Racquet [VIDEO]
- Manchester United Transfer News: Arturo Vidal Leaving Juventus for the Red Devils Gaining Momentum
- Roger Federer Forced to Take Down Children's Play Area on his Property in Valbella
- LeBron James and Cleveland Cavaliers the Team to Beat in the East – Paul George
- Chelsea FC Transfer News: Renewed Hope for Blues, as Paul Pogba's Agent Revealed that 'Anything is Possible'
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 6 Most Wanted Feature Upgrades for Next iPhone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- HTC One M8 Windows Phone to Launch for Verizon; Release Date, Price, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate for New Smartphone
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff