Michael Schumacher Shows 'Small Signs of Progress'
By Shruthi SU | April 14, 2014 9:45 PM EST
Legendary Formula 1 racer Michael Schumacher is showing 'signs of progress', according to his spokesperson/manager Sabine Kehm.
Schumacher has been in a medically induced coma since 29 December, after he suffered severe head injuries in a skiing accident at the French resort of Meribel.
Formula 1 legend Michael Schumacher is showing "moments of consciousness and awakening" after months of treatment at the Grenoble University Hospital.
"There are short moments of consciousness and he is showing small signs of progress," Kehm told German broadcaster ARD. "There are moments when he is awake and moments when he is conscious.
"Of course I am not a doctor, but medically, there is a distinction between being awake and being conscious, the latter meaning there is an ability to interact with his surroundings. I don't want to disclose details out of respect for the family, but we have no doubt at all in the abilities of the doctors treating Michael, they are experts in their field."
Kehm said Schumacher's family was overwhelmed by the support they received from fans around the globe. But what concerns them is the media speculations and expert opinions from people who are totally not connected to the situation.
"What upsets the family most is media quoting doctors who are not treating Michael and untruths are constructed from these," Kehm said. "It has been a problem when outsiders comment and it means we have to set the record straight, even when we don't want to."
The seven-time world champion has undergone two major operations after the accident, before being inducted into coma.
There were reports about his moments of consciousness and awakening even a week earlier. Fellow German and this season's leader Nico Rosberg was happy to hear the good news from the hospital.
"It's fantastic to hear," Rosberg said after the Bahrain GP race. "I am very happy, as is everybody else in the paddock. We know that his family would be very careful before releasing such good news. I hope he will continue to progress."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Chelsea FC: Mourinho Hints Cesc Fabregas Could Succeed John Terry As Club Captain
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS