Michael Schumacher Shows 'Small Signs of Progress'
By Shruthi SU | April 14, 2014 9:45 PM EST
Legendary Formula 1 racer Michael Schumacher is showing 'signs of progress', according to his spokesperson/manager Sabine Kehm.
Schumacher has been in a medically induced coma since 29 December, after he suffered severe head injuries in a skiing accident at the French resort of Meribel.
Formula 1 legend Michael Schumacher is showing "moments of consciousness and awakening" after months of treatment at the Grenoble University Hospital.
"There are short moments of consciousness and he is showing small signs of progress," Kehm told German broadcaster ARD. "There are moments when he is awake and moments when he is conscious.
"Of course I am not a doctor, but medically, there is a distinction between being awake and being conscious, the latter meaning there is an ability to interact with his surroundings. I don't want to disclose details out of respect for the family, but we have no doubt at all in the abilities of the doctors treating Michael, they are experts in their field."
Kehm said Schumacher's family was overwhelmed by the support they received from fans around the globe. But what concerns them is the media speculations and expert opinions from people who are totally not connected to the situation.
"What upsets the family most is media quoting doctors who are not treating Michael and untruths are constructed from these," Kehm said. "It has been a problem when outsiders comment and it means we have to set the record straight, even when we don't want to."
The seven-time world champion has undergone two major operations after the accident, before being inducted into coma.
There were reports about his moments of consciousness and awakening even a week earlier. Fellow German and this season's leader Nico Rosberg was happy to hear the good news from the hospital.
"It's fantastic to hear," Rosberg said after the Bahrain GP race. "I am very happy, as is everybody else in the paddock. We know that his family would be very careful before releasing such good news. I hope he will continue to progress."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Calls Out On Floyd Mayweather Jr. Again After Unbeaten Boxer Mocks Him With His KO Video
- NFL Thanksgiving Games: Chicago Vs. Detroit, Philadelphia Vs. Dallas, And Seattle Vs. San Francisco Live Streaming Info and Preview
- 2014 NFL Thanksgiving Games Results: Detroit Lions, Philadelphia Eagles, Seattle Seahawks Notch All-Important Wins With Major Postseason Implications
- Derrick Rose Is Lying About His Health Says ESPN Analyst Stephen A. Smith
- Andy Murray, Ana Ivanovic, And Other Tennis Stars Arrive In Manila For The IPTL; Murray Meets Manny Pacquiao
- Revealed: Vladimir Putin Plotting To Invade Europe – Report
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- Australian and Other Select Earth Locations Hold Proofs Life Once Existed On Mars – Report
- Samsung Galaxy S6 Will Shatter Records with 64-Bit Snapdragon, 21MP Camera and Bendable Design
- Lowe's Black Friday 2014 Deals Include Up To 40% Off On Select Major Appliances, Plus Free Shipping For Orders Of $19 Or More
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast
- Walmart Canada Black Friday 2014 Ad For Nov. 28, 2014 Up To Dec. 1, 2014 Includes Savings On The iPad Mini 16GB And The Beats Solo HD Drenched Headphones