Michael Schumacher Shows 'Small Signs of Progress'
By Shruthi SU | April 14, 2014 9:45 PM EST
Legendary Formula 1 racer Michael Schumacher is showing 'signs of progress', according to his spokesperson/manager Sabine Kehm.
Schumacher has been in a medically induced coma since 29 December, after he suffered severe head injuries in a skiing accident at the French resort of Meribel.
Formula 1 legend Michael Schumacher is showing "moments of consciousness and awakening" after months of treatment at the Grenoble University Hospital.
"There are short moments of consciousness and he is showing small signs of progress," Kehm told German broadcaster ARD. "There are moments when he is awake and moments when he is conscious.
"Of course I am not a doctor, but medically, there is a distinction between being awake and being conscious, the latter meaning there is an ability to interact with his surroundings. I don't want to disclose details out of respect for the family, but we have no doubt at all in the abilities of the doctors treating Michael, they are experts in their field."
Kehm said Schumacher's family was overwhelmed by the support they received from fans around the globe. But what concerns them is the media speculations and expert opinions from people who are totally not connected to the situation.
"What upsets the family most is media quoting doctors who are not treating Michael and untruths are constructed from these," Kehm said. "It has been a problem when outsiders comment and it means we have to set the record straight, even when we don't want to."
The seven-time world champion has undergone two major operations after the accident, before being inducted into coma.
There were reports about his moments of consciousness and awakening even a week earlier. Fellow German and this season's leader Nico Rosberg was happy to hear the good news from the hospital.
"It's fantastic to hear," Rosberg said after the Bahrain GP race. "I am very happy, as is everybody else in the paddock. We know that his family would be very careful before releasing such good news. I hope he will continue to progress."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- UFC News: Ronda Rousey To Avenge Teammates, Demands Bethe Correia
- FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: Argentina vs. Philippines Preview, Starting Lineups
- Kate Upton And BF Justin Verlander Nude Photo Leaked; Verlander Instantly Became An Internet Meme Sensation
- Grigor Dimitrov Shares Fashion Tips With Maria Sharapova
- FIBA World Cup 2014: Puerto Rico vs. Greece Live Streaming, Betting Odds and Preview
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones