Lok Sabha Elections 2014: Third Front the Only Alternative, Says Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee
By Rama Mohan | April 14, 2014 7:29 PM EST
The third front, which is yet to be formed by non-Congress and non-BJP parties, could only lead India in the right direction, said former West Bengal Chief Minister and CPI (M) leader Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee on 13 April.
Third Front the Only Alternative, Says Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee
He said that Congress has realized that it can't return to power in the ongoing Lok Sabha elections and Bharatiya Janata Party's (BJP) prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi is still to be judged of his misdeeds. Bhattacharjee also explained that the way Modi intends to lead the nation is "dangerous," media reports say. Hence, according to him the third front is the only alternative for now.
He was canvassing for his party candidate Suhashini Ali who is contesting from Barrackpore Lok Sabha constituency in West Bengal.
He said that if all non-Congress and non-BJP parties formed a third front, it would comprise 50 per cent share votes of the ongoing Lok Sabha election. Non-Congress and non-BJP coalitions formed governments at the Centre between 1989 and 1991 and again between 1996 and 1998.
Seeking votes from people for Left parties, the former chief minister alleged that there was total anarchy in West Bengal, where the Trinamool Congress (TMC) is the ruling party. Attacks on women were on the rise and law and order was very bad in the state, he added.
He also blamed Mamata Banerjee-led TMC for allowing electoral entry to BJP in West Bengal. Citing this reason, he said that no party will align with TMC, which has not yet divulged its alliance plans post election, he added. He described Banerjee's government in the state as inept.
Meanwhile, in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana Rashtra Samithi (TRS) chief K Chandrasekhar Rao stated that his party would join the third front, which is yet to take its shape. TRS won't join the BJP-headed National Democratic Alliance (NDA), he added, and stated that TRS is a 100 per cent secular party.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Matmo Leaves 32k Customers w/o Electricity in Taiwan, Weakens After Landing in China
Join the Conversation
- Ideological Support Swells for Scottish Independence
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Dutch Wants Putin's Daughter Maria Deported to Russia From Holland
- New Zealand and China Decide to Boost Defence Ties
- Gaza Crisis: 695 Dead & 4,500 Injured, UN Accuses Israel of War Crimes
- 3 Almost Believable Internet Theories on the Malaysia Airlines MH17 Crash
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- HTC One E8 (Plastic Variant of HTC One M8) with 5-Inch Display, Dual-SIM, 801 Processor and 2 GB RAM to Hit New Markets Soon
- iPhone 6 Release Date in September 26 with Price Details and More Killer Features
- Apple iPad Mini Air: Three Fresh Features on the Smart Tablet to Wait for
- 4.7-Inch iPhone 6 Release Date is Sept 26 after iOS 8 GM Public Debut on Sept 17 – Reports