Lok Sabha Elections 2014: Third Front the Only Alternative, Says Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee
By Rama Mohan | April 14, 2014 7:29 PM EST
The third front, which is yet to be formed by non-Congress and non-BJP parties, could only lead India in the right direction, said former West Bengal Chief Minister and CPI (M) leader Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee on 13 April.
Third Front the Only Alternative, Says Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee
He said that Congress has realized that it can't return to power in the ongoing Lok Sabha elections and Bharatiya Janata Party's (BJP) prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi is still to be judged of his misdeeds. Bhattacharjee also explained that the way Modi intends to lead the nation is "dangerous," media reports say. Hence, according to him the third front is the only alternative for now.
He was canvassing for his party candidate Suhashini Ali who is contesting from Barrackpore Lok Sabha constituency in West Bengal.
He said that if all non-Congress and non-BJP parties formed a third front, it would comprise 50 per cent share votes of the ongoing Lok Sabha election. Non-Congress and non-BJP coalitions formed governments at the Centre between 1989 and 1991 and again between 1996 and 1998.
Seeking votes from people for Left parties, the former chief minister alleged that there was total anarchy in West Bengal, where the Trinamool Congress (TMC) is the ruling party. Attacks on women were on the rise and law and order was very bad in the state, he added.
He also blamed Mamata Banerjee-led TMC for allowing electoral entry to BJP in West Bengal. Citing this reason, he said that no party will align with TMC, which has not yet divulged its alliance plans post election, he added. He described Banerjee's government in the state as inept.
Meanwhile, in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana Rashtra Samithi (TRS) chief K Chandrasekhar Rao stated that his party would join the third front, which is yet to take its shape. TRS won't join the BJP-headed National Democratic Alliance (NDA), he added, and stated that TRS is a 100 per cent secular party.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- U.S and Canada Fighter Jets Chase Out Russian Jets Near Alaska: Air Space Violation Not Confirmed
- US-led Coalition Has Launched First Airstrike vs. ISIS in Syria – Pentagon
- G20 Summit in Nov: No Consensus to Bar Russia, Putin Open to Attend in Australia
- ISIS Used 'GTA 5' in Teen Recruitment Video, Violent Games Help Gain More Followers
- Chilling: Group Deadlier Than ISIS Had Risen
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Galaxy Note 4 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Better Performing Display and Best Overall Screen
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Samsung Galaxy S5: Battle of the Samsung Flagship Smartphones
- Apple iPad Air 2, OS X Yosemite Release Date Set For October, While iPad Mini 3 With Retina Headed For 2015 Release
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Purported Xiaomi Redmi Note Successor Powered With Monstrous Processor Under Wraps, Will Take On Meizu MX4