Lok Sabha Elections 2014: Modi Meets Rajinikanth in Chennai
By Rama Mohan | April 14, 2014 5:56 PM EST
Declaring that no strings are attached to their meeting at this juncture of general elections, Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi and superstar Rajinikanth exchanged cordial wishes in Chennai on 13 April 2014. Modi rode straight to Rajinikanth's Poes Garden residence from Chennai airport before addressing a poll campaign in the city.
Narandra Modi has finally confessed that he is married to 'Jashodaben' causing a spate of outrage in social media. (a file Photo: Reuters)
For Rajinikanth, Modi's visit might be apolitical, but it matters a lot for BJP, as it is contesting this general election in alliance with a group of five regional parties - DMDK, PMK, MDMK, IJK and KMDK- in the state. Popular Tamil actor and DMDK leader Vijayakanth is leading the group in campaigning.
After their meeting for a half-an-hour, Rajinikanth told the media that they did not discuss anything related to politics.
Rajinikanth described Modi as a strong leader and an able administrator. He wished Modi all success in his endeavours. "When I was not well he (Modi) called on me and every week he inquired about my health. I invited him for a meeting over a cup of tea and I am happy he has visited me," The Hindu quoted Rajinikanth.
Modi, clad in a dhoti-shirt, the traditional attire of Tamil Nadu, said that Rajinikanth is a good friend and well-wisher to him. The Gujarat Chief Minister also expressed his wishes to people of Tamil Nadu on the occasion of Tamil New Year Day on 14 April 2014.
While Rajinikanth has grown into a super star actor from the humble background of a bus conductor in the erstwhile Bangalore Transport System (BTS) in Bangalore, Modi was a tea vendor in Gujarat.
Modi's meeting with Rajinikanth gets prominence as the election to Lok Sabha is going to be held on 24 April in Tamil Nadu and his party is aspiring to expand further in the state with an electoral tie-up with a front of five regional parties.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Twitter Photo Of British Medical Muslima Student Holding Severed Head
- Australia's Imam Council Rebuffs Abbott Decision To Send Troops; Wants 'Islamic' Dropped From ISIS
- Spying Claims Muddle New Zealand Election as Dotcom Calls Key Gov't An 'American Slave'
- Germany to Send Soldiers to Iraq, Bans Displays of Support for ISIS
- Strike vs ISIS Countdown: Arab Nations Signify Intent to Join U.S. Fight
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date