Lok Sabha Elections 2014: Modi Meets Rajinikanth in Chennai
By Rama Mohan | April 14, 2014 5:56 PM EST
Declaring that no strings are attached to their meeting at this juncture of general elections, Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi and superstar Rajinikanth exchanged cordial wishes in Chennai on 13 April 2014. Modi rode straight to Rajinikanth's Poes Garden residence from Chennai airport before addressing a poll campaign in the city.
Narandra Modi has finally confessed that he is married to 'Jashodaben' causing a spate of outrage in social media. (a file Photo: Reuters)
For Rajinikanth, Modi's visit might be apolitical, but it matters a lot for BJP, as it is contesting this general election in alliance with a group of five regional parties - DMDK, PMK, MDMK, IJK and KMDK- in the state. Popular Tamil actor and DMDK leader Vijayakanth is leading the group in campaigning.
After their meeting for a half-an-hour, Rajinikanth told the media that they did not discuss anything related to politics.
Rajinikanth described Modi as a strong leader and an able administrator. He wished Modi all success in his endeavours. "When I was not well he (Modi) called on me and every week he inquired about my health. I invited him for a meeting over a cup of tea and I am happy he has visited me," The Hindu quoted Rajinikanth.
Modi, clad in a dhoti-shirt, the traditional attire of Tamil Nadu, said that Rajinikanth is a good friend and well-wisher to him. The Gujarat Chief Minister also expressed his wishes to people of Tamil Nadu on the occasion of Tamil New Year Day on 14 April 2014.
While Rajinikanth has grown into a super star actor from the humble background of a bus conductor in the erstwhile Bangalore Transport System (BTS) in Bangalore, Modi was a tea vendor in Gujarat.
Modi's meeting with Rajinikanth gets prominence as the election to Lok Sabha is going to be held on 24 April in Tamil Nadu and his party is aspiring to expand further in the state with an electoral tie-up with a front of five regional parties.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Iran Leader Asks Muslims to Supply Arms to Palestine, Calls Israel ‘Rapacious Wolf’
- El Niño Update: 2014 Threat Easing, ‘Unlikely to be a Strong Event’ – Australia BoM
- “Women should not laugh in public” - Turkish Deputy PM says
- Australia Asked National Media to Suppress Multi-National Corruption Case: WikiLeaks
- Opinion Poll in New Zealand Shows National Party Far Ahead in Popular Support
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date