eBay Removes Dr. Harold Shipman's Examination Table, Suspends Seller Account
By Ma Evelyn Castino Quilas | April 14, 2014 5:56 PM EST
The online buy and sell site eBay decided to remove the examination table belonging to the late Dr. Harold Shipman, one of the deadliest serial killers in United Kingdom. It also suspended the account of the seller who recently put up the item for sale at £10,000 in the online store.
In a news report from Metro, an eBay spokesperson stated, "We don't allow items of this nature to be sold on eBay and have removed the listing and taken steps to stop it, or similar items, being relisted."
There were already two offers for the padded blue auctioned item since its listing on the website from Friday, April 11. It was described with the following words on the eBay listing: "In use for many years Abraham Ormerod Day Hospital, Todmorden, which was originally opened in 1938."
The seller who put the controversial item on sale was Marjorie Chakravarti, a 72-year-old woman who used to work as senior sister at the Abraham Ormerod Day Hospital in Todmorden, West Yorkshire, UK.
She put up the medical couch for sale while decluttering her house with the hope that the item will attract the "ghoulish". "My husband is ill, I am down-sizing. I have three sheds filled with rubbish and my intention is to sell it," Mrs. Chakravarti stated.
The lady had not met Dr. Harold Shipman who the original owner of this macabre item even though they used to work in the same hospital. She just bought it from a friend for around £20 for her use while studying several medical courses.
Despite the horrible crimes associated with the table, Mrs. Chakravati still hoped it will attract interest from other medical practitioners or from people with special interest on items with unusual histories.
"In view of the history of this item possible attention hopefully would be from museums or people with interest in items with unusual histories," she added.
Dr. Harol Shipman was a General Practitioner who was convicted with 15 life sentences for murdering over 200 patients in a span of 27 years during his service beginning 1971. He committed suicide in jail cell in 2004.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy:Camilla And Princess Eugenie Reportedly Jealous, Claimed Duchess Only Good At Making Babies
- Prince Harry Reunites With Cressida Bonas On ‘Sex Tape’ Date Amid Dating Camilla Thurlow Reports
- Modern Forensic Science Reveals Evidence Of Brutal Killing Of King Richard III
- Avril Lavigne And Husband Chad Kroeger Call It Quits
- Racist Note Stereotyping Asian Drivers Left on Parked Car in NSW Sparks Online Outrage
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Micromax Canvas A1 Vs Spice Dream Uno Vs Karbonn Sparkle V: A Choice On Which Android Is The Best