Get to Know Some Interesting Facts of the UEFA Champions League
By Ma Evelyn Castino Quilas | April 14, 2014 5:43 PM EST
Who doesn't love to watch the action and follow the games of the Union of European Football Association (UEFA) Champion's League? With the Quarterfinals scheduled today, April 9, 2014, football fanatics would surely love to know some interesting facts about the league.
Did you know that UEFA champions league started not as "European Cup" even though it was formed a month after the first UEFA Congress on March 2, 1955 which was held in Vienna, Austria? Only the teams who have the most appeal to their fans in their home country were invited to participate in the tournament.
Participants of the Champions League have to undergo a series of games on their road to finals. The first series is the qualifying rounds followed by the group stage, and finally the four knockout rounds.
Today's quarter finals game will be between Bayer Leverkusen and Manchester United at 8:45pm at Fußball Arena Munchen in Munich, Germany. A simultaneous match between Atlético Madrid vs. Barcelona will take place at Estadio Vicente Calderon in Madrid Spain.
In the span of almost 6 decades since Champions League started, Real Madrid held the record for being the most successful football team in the tournament's history. The club grabbed nine titles already while its Spanish counterpart reached 21 times in the semi-finals. There are also 12 UEFA Champions League finals under its belt.
Likewise, Real Madrid claimed all five Champions League titles during 1955 to 1960 making it the club with the record for the most consecutive titles. It has also participated consecutively in the tournament from 1955 to 1970 making it the club with the record for most consecutive participation.
Did you also know that Bayer's player Roy Makaay held the record for the fastest goal in the league for scoring within 10.2 seconds during the game against Real Madrid in 2007?
Meanwhile, Manchester United and Barcelona among the five teams who emerged as winners in the tournament who have no single losing game. The other teams include Inter Milan, Liverpool, and Ajax.
During the knockout stage in 2013 tournament, Bayer sailed through the knockout stage against Manchester with an astounding 5-0 score. Manchester win in only three years during the Champion League's tournaments while Bayern has five wins.
On the other hand, the match between Atlético Madrid and Barcelona will be the 213th game between the two clubs. Barcelona has scored 93 victories in total against Atletico which only grabbed 69 wins. There are also 410 goals made by Barcelona so far while Atletico scored only 319.
Watch the Manchester United Vs. Bayer Leverkusen 5-0 Highlights 2013 on Youtube [Video]
Watch the Barcelona vs Atletico Madrid 1 : 1 - All Goals & Full Highlights UCL 2014 HD on Youtube [Video]
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Manny Pacquiao Chasing Floyd Mayweather Jr. Because Of Money But Says Undefeated American Is Afraid Of Filipino - Analysts
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Driver's Mother Says People 'Shirking Responsibility' About The Accident
- Novak Djokovic Aims For World No. 1 Rank In 2015, Becker Says
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage