Get to Know Some Interesting Facts of the UEFA Champions League
By Ma Evelyn Castino Quilas | April 14, 2014 5:43 PM EST
Who doesn't love to watch the action and follow the games of the Union of European Football Association (UEFA) Champion's League? With the Quarterfinals scheduled today, April 9, 2014, football fanatics would surely love to know some interesting facts about the league.
Did you know that UEFA champions league started not as "European Cup" even though it was formed a month after the first UEFA Congress on March 2, 1955 which was held in Vienna, Austria? Only the teams who have the most appeal to their fans in their home country were invited to participate in the tournament.
Participants of the Champions League have to undergo a series of games on their road to finals. The first series is the qualifying rounds followed by the group stage, and finally the four knockout rounds.
Today's quarter finals game will be between Bayer Leverkusen and Manchester United at 8:45pm at Fußball Arena Munchen in Munich, Germany. A simultaneous match between Atlético Madrid vs. Barcelona will take place at Estadio Vicente Calderon in Madrid Spain.
In the span of almost 6 decades since Champions League started, Real Madrid held the record for being the most successful football team in the tournament's history. The club grabbed nine titles already while its Spanish counterpart reached 21 times in the semi-finals. There are also 12 UEFA Champions League finals under its belt.
Likewise, Real Madrid claimed all five Champions League titles during 1955 to 1960 making it the club with the record for the most consecutive titles. It has also participated consecutively in the tournament from 1955 to 1970 making it the club with the record for most consecutive participation.
Did you also know that Bayer's player Roy Makaay held the record for the fastest goal in the league for scoring within 10.2 seconds during the game against Real Madrid in 2007?
Meanwhile, Manchester United and Barcelona among the five teams who emerged as winners in the tournament who have no single losing game. The other teams include Inter Milan, Liverpool, and Ajax.
During the knockout stage in 2013 tournament, Bayer sailed through the knockout stage against Manchester with an astounding 5-0 score. Manchester win in only three years during the Champion League's tournaments while Bayern has five wins.
On the other hand, the match between Atlético Madrid and Barcelona will be the 213th game between the two clubs. Barcelona has scored 93 victories in total against Atletico which only grabbed 69 wins. There are also 410 goals made by Barcelona so far while Atletico scored only 319.
Watch the Manchester United Vs. Bayer Leverkusen 5-0 Highlights 2013 on Youtube [Video]
Watch the Barcelona vs Atletico Madrid 1 : 1 - All Goals & Full Highlights UCL 2014 HD on Youtube [Video]
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘Floyd Rhymes With Avoid,’ Says Manny Pacquiao
- Manny Pacquiao Calls Out On Floyd Mayweather Jr. Again After Unbeaten Boxer Mocks Him With His KO Video
- NFL Thanksgiving Games: Chicago Vs. Detroit, Philadelphia Vs. Dallas, And Seattle Vs. San Francisco Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Phil Hughes No More: Australian Batsman Dies at 25
- 2014 NFL Thanksgiving Games Results: Detroit Lions, Philadelphia Eagles, Seattle Seahawks Notch All-Important Wins With Major Postseason Implications
- Revealed: Vladimir Putin Plotting To Invade Europe – Report
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- Australian and Other Select Earth Locations Hold Proofs Life Once Existed On Mars – Report