Indian Super League: Sachin Tendulkar, Sourav Ganguly Set to Bring Local Football Talents to the Fore
By Shruthi SU | April 14, 2014 4:16 PM EST
All that football in India required was a platform for local talents, as interest in the game has always been there. The likes of legendary cricketers, Sachin Tendulkar and Sourav Ganguly, are all set to give football the much stage in the form of Indian Super League (ISL).
The eight franchisees of All India Football Federation's ISL have been announced by the promoters of the league - IMG Reliance and Star India. The other names associated with the league are Bollywood stars Salman Khan (Pune), Ranbir Kapoor (Mumbai) and John Abraham (Shillong). Sachin is a stakeholder for Kochi in association with PVP Ventures, while Ganguly backed team Kolkata along with Spain's Atletico Madrid.
The base price for the teams started at ₹12 crore and according to reports, Kolkata went for the highest price of ₹18 crore. The first season of ISL is scheduled to be held between September and November this year.
"I will always remain a sportsman at heart who is keen to positively impact the sporting fabric of the nation," Tendulkar said in a statement. "The Indian Super League presents a great opportunity to develop a platform for the youngsters to learn and enhance their talent to develop into outstanding players.
"It has been an interesting experience interacting with the young, passionate team at PVP Ventures led by Prasad Potluri. Based on the various insights shared by the team, the opportunity of the Kochi club seemed like a compelling and challenging proposition.
"With the Kochi club, we will strive to 'score our goals' and play a part in developing the game of football across the country."
The IMG-Reliance had signed a 15-year contract with AIFF in 2010 and is now all set to rediscover football in India by promoting ISL.
"Termed as an unrivalled footballing event, the Indian Super League being planned under the Football Sports Development Pvt Ltd. aims to ignite a revolution in the sport and ultimately enable Indian football to thrive and perform at the highest level on the international stage," IMG-Reliance said in a media release.
The eight franchises:
Delhi: Sameer Manchanda led DEN Network
Bengaluru: Sun Group
Guwahati: John Abraham & Shillong Lajong
Kochi: Sachin Tendulkar & PVP Ventures
Kolkata: Sourav Ganguly, Harshavardhan Neotia, Atletico Madrid, Sanjeev Goenka, Utsav Parekh
Mumbai: Ranbir Kapoor and Bimal Parekh
Pune: Salman Khan with Kapil Wadhawan and Dheeraj Wadhawan of the Wadhawan Group
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
- Taylor Swift's Famous Ex-Boyfriends: From Harry Styles To Joe Jonas [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Wants To Talk To Manny Pacquiao About Super Fight If Filipino Beats Chris Algieri
- WWE Update: Bray Wyatt’s Twitter Post Hints Upcoming Fight With Sting [VIDEO]
- Kate Upton And BF Detroit Tigers’ Justin Verlander Spotted Shopping Post Nude Photo Leak Scandal
- 2014/15 NBA Season Preview And Predictions: Los Angeles Lakers; Jeremy Lin's Breakout Campaign
- Manchester United News: Angel Di Maria’s Exit And Hummels’ Future Move
- 3 Signs Nexus 6, 8 Release Date Nears: Leaked Pics, KitKat Factory Image & Android L Details Emerge
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Available Through O2 For £380, Other Carriers To Follow Soon
- Apple iPhone 6 vs. OnePlus One: With Invitation-Only Model Rested, OnePlus One Can Be A Real Threat To iPhone 6
- ISIS Supporters are Walking Among the Many in the United States – Report
- ISIS Receives Food, Ammunition Due To Mistake Of Iraqi Pilots
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build
- Airstrikes Against ISIS Has Claimed Innocent Lives In Syria, Dubbed ‘Ineffective’ By Jihadi Fighters, US Military To Ask For More Spending Money