'Oculus' Review Round Up: The Scariest Movie to be Released, 'Paranormal Activity' Craze Set to be Beat?
By Sonalee singh | April 14, 2014 3:57 PM EST
"Oculus" Movie is being called the scariest movie so far. The movie which stars "Doctor Who" vet Karen Gillan hit theaters on April 11 and was received with immense warmth from critics. The film opens up with Tim Russell (Brenton Thwaites) being released from a psychiatric institute and his sister Kaylie Russell (Karen Gillan) reminding him of the revenge they have to take from a supernatural presence who killed their family. It is this supernatural presence, which had, sent Thwaites character to psychiatric ward. The movie is a juxtaposition of past and present, which shows supernatural power in full action killing the lead actors mother and father.
Gillan's character wants to prove that the supernatural power lives in the mirror of their old home and is responsible for the murder. What makes this movie interesting is the fact that it is not clear whether the supernatural power exists or is it just the imagination of their minds.
Lets take a look at reviews of Oculus movie:
The zig-zag narrative, with the scenes flitting from present to past, and a hazy line between reality, imagination and flashbacks, keeps the viewers on their toes. Without the use of loud background music, overtly-exaggerated sound-effects or blood and gore, the film's look and feel is sometimes too real for comfort. Of course, the absence of a solid "ghost" or "monster" figure just adds to the terror. Because you never know if something is real, or is the mirror just "playing tricks."
"Flanagan's script is a psychological jumping bean as it hops wildly between multiple timelines, putting the audiences in the shoes of the characters, everyone totally unaware of precisely what's going on. The whole thing has a fluid feeling that's not exactly innovative, but exciting enough to potentially kick off a new franchise.
Oculus is actually scary because it goes about its methods differently than most films in the genre.
The tactics of "scaring" with jump-scares are a far too common cheap trick among horror films. Yes, there are a few times when Oculus uses them, but they feel out of place within the context of the film, as if they were placed there because the studio said "that's what people are coming to see." The majority of the scares in the film are much more deeply rooted psychological scares, and it works really well.
"Oculus" will mess with your mind.
Let us know your reviews about the movie. Do you think it is the most scary movie you have seen in years-even scarier than "Paranormal Activity?"
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Will Name Second Child Diana, Camilla Parker-Bowles Not Invited to Prince George’s Birthday - Reports
- Avengers 2: Capt.America Dances With Peggy Carter, First Love Returns
- Kim Kardashian and Kanye West Break-Up Furor Ceased: West Gets Turned on by Kim, Puts Rest to Marriage Trouble Reports
- Ian Somerhalder and Nina Dobrev Drama: Heartbroken The Vampire Diaries Actress Reacts to Nikki Reed Dating News—Report
- Kanye West Abandons Kim Kardashian after 58 Days of Marriage – Reports
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales