'Oculus' Review Round Up: The Scariest Movie to be Released, 'Paranormal Activity' Craze Set to be Beat?
By Sonalee singh | April 14, 2014 3:57 PM EST
"Oculus" Movie is being called the scariest movie so far. The movie which stars "Doctor Who" vet Karen Gillan hit theaters on April 11 and was received with immense warmth from critics. The film opens up with Tim Russell (Brenton Thwaites) being released from a psychiatric institute and his sister Kaylie Russell (Karen Gillan) reminding him of the revenge they have to take from a supernatural presence who killed their family. It is this supernatural presence, which had, sent Thwaites character to psychiatric ward. The movie is a juxtaposition of past and present, which shows supernatural power in full action killing the lead actors mother and father.
Gillan's character wants to prove that the supernatural power lives in the mirror of their old home and is responsible for the murder. What makes this movie interesting is the fact that it is not clear whether the supernatural power exists or is it just the imagination of their minds.
Lets take a look at reviews of Oculus movie:
The zig-zag narrative, with the scenes flitting from present to past, and a hazy line between reality, imagination and flashbacks, keeps the viewers on their toes. Without the use of loud background music, overtly-exaggerated sound-effects or blood and gore, the film's look and feel is sometimes too real for comfort. Of course, the absence of a solid "ghost" or "monster" figure just adds to the terror. Because you never know if something is real, or is the mirror just "playing tricks."
"Flanagan's script is a psychological jumping bean as it hops wildly between multiple timelines, putting the audiences in the shoes of the characters, everyone totally unaware of precisely what's going on. The whole thing has a fluid feeling that's not exactly innovative, but exciting enough to potentially kick off a new franchise.
Oculus is actually scary because it goes about its methods differently than most films in the genre.
The tactics of "scaring" with jump-scares are a far too common cheap trick among horror films. Yes, there are a few times when Oculus uses them, but they feel out of place within the context of the film, as if they were placed there because the studio said "that's what people are coming to see." The majority of the scares in the film are much more deeply rooted psychological scares, and it works really well.
"Oculus" will mess with your mind.
Let us know your reviews about the movie. Do you think it is the most scary movie you have seen in years-even scarier than "Paranormal Activity?"
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Brad Pitt Still in Love with Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston, Staying with Angelina Jolie for Sake of Kids, Claims Brad's Psychic
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
- Transfer News: Manchester United's Possible Transfer Options For This Season
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Bold And The Beautiful’ Spoilers For Aug. 22, 2014: Liam’s Confession About Paris To Hope And Deacon’s Revelation To Brooke In ‘B&B’ [WATCH VIDEO]
- Chuck Zito Apologises For Offensive Comment On Christy Mack Beating
- ‘True Blood’ Final Episode Thank You: Watch Sookie Ask Whether God Made Us All, Find Out Why 'True Blood' Is Ending [VIDEO]
- Kendall And Kylie Jenner Make Their Big Brother Proud
- Kanye West's 2010 Album 'My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy' is Album of the Decade
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Upcoming Sony Xperia Z3 With Dual-SIM Support Gets Approved In China; Full Specifications Revealed; Amber-Coloured Xperia Z3 Tipped
- More Nexus 8/Nexus 9 Release Confirmed with More Leaks and Out of Stock Nexus 7 and 10
- James Foley: Release of Beheading Video by ISIS Meant to Attract More Recruits to Join the Cause – Intelligence
- 2015 Ford Mustang: Right-Hand Drive Pony Car To Be Available In Australia Next Year
- James Foley: ISIS Demanded Multimillion Ransom, US Refused To Pay---Reports