'Oculus' Review Round Up: The Scariest Movie to be Released, 'Paranormal Activity' Craze Set to be Beat?
By Sonalee singh | April 14, 2014 3:57 PM EST
"Oculus" Movie is being called the scariest movie so far. The movie which stars "Doctor Who" vet Karen Gillan hit theaters on April 11 and was received with immense warmth from critics. The film opens up with Tim Russell (Brenton Thwaites) being released from a psychiatric institute and his sister Kaylie Russell (Karen Gillan) reminding him of the revenge they have to take from a supernatural presence who killed their family. It is this supernatural presence, which had, sent Thwaites character to psychiatric ward. The movie is a juxtaposition of past and present, which shows supernatural power in full action killing the lead actors mother and father.
Gillan's character wants to prove that the supernatural power lives in the mirror of their old home and is responsible for the murder. What makes this movie interesting is the fact that it is not clear whether the supernatural power exists or is it just the imagination of their minds.
Lets take a look at reviews of Oculus movie:
The zig-zag narrative, with the scenes flitting from present to past, and a hazy line between reality, imagination and flashbacks, keeps the viewers on their toes. Without the use of loud background music, overtly-exaggerated sound-effects or blood and gore, the film's look and feel is sometimes too real for comfort. Of course, the absence of a solid "ghost" or "monster" figure just adds to the terror. Because you never know if something is real, or is the mirror just "playing tricks."
"Flanagan's script is a psychological jumping bean as it hops wildly between multiple timelines, putting the audiences in the shoes of the characters, everyone totally unaware of precisely what's going on. The whole thing has a fluid feeling that's not exactly innovative, but exciting enough to potentially kick off a new franchise.
Oculus is actually scary because it goes about its methods differently than most films in the genre.
The tactics of "scaring" with jump-scares are a far too common cheap trick among horror films. Yes, there are a few times when Oculus uses them, but they feel out of place within the context of the film, as if they were placed there because the studio said "that's what people are coming to see." The majority of the scares in the film are much more deeply rooted psychological scares, and it works really well.
"Oculus" will mess with your mind.
Let us know your reviews about the movie. Do you think it is the most scary movie you have seen in years-even scarier than "Paranormal Activity?"
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- 'Star Wars 7': Luke Skywalker Exiled, Turns Into Powerful Wizard
- ‘Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice’: Leaked Videos Show Batmobile In Motion; Vehicle Reportedly 'Stolen'
- ‘Avengers: Age of Ultron’: Black Panther Powerful Than Ultron, Can Be New Iron Man
- The Pirate Bay Founder Gottfrid Svartholm Trial’s Second Week: TPB Founder’s Co-Defendant Answers Questions Plus Jacob Appelbaum Appears
- Miley Cyrus Naked Picture In Bathroom: 'Bangerz' Singer Shares The Racy Picture With Fans
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up