Au Fund Managers Manipulating the Sharemarket – Researchers
By Athena Yenko | April 14, 2014 3:48 PM EST
Fund managers are allegedly manipulating the sharemarket during critical hours before the markets close at 4pm, researchers at Capital Markets Co-operative Research Centre (CMCRC) claims.
Market manipulation is rampant in Australia as compared to other markets in the world, the research body contends.
CMCRC alleged that the manipulation was done by fund managers in order to augment their bonuses.
Manipulating the market during critical hours before market closing regularly happens 15 minutes in each trading of the months - quarterly and during the ends of financial years. The sharemarket index during the ends of financial years is important basis for company valuation, executive salaries, superannuation policies and capital returns to investors.
"They are getting money in all the time but instead of buying it every day they save it and buy it at the last minute to drive more demand," chief executive of CMCRC, Michael Aitken, told The Australian Financial Review.
Whether the manipulation is done to create spikes at the market or to deliberately create an unusual volatility, it is not a good look according to Mr Aitkin.
"Volatility in the end of day price is quite a problem in this marketplace. The price is dramatically bouncing around at the end of the day," Mr Aitkin said.
The Australian Financial Review mentioned a case in Dec. 20 2013 when there was a $23 million worth of trade during the last 15 minutes exclusively for three stocks - Village Roadshow, Ocean Gold and REA.
To expose more market manipulation and track high-frequency trading, ASIC will employ its $44 million market surveillance system.
"There have been examples of bad behaviour on future rolls in the past and we have absolutely taken action," ASIC commissioner for markets Cathie Armour said.
However, Ms Amour said that while the commission can pin point a suspicious trading, proving that the trader behind the suspicion has illegal intention is more difficult.
CMCRC had been bridging the balance to meet the practical needs of capital markets and conducting academic research since 2001.
CMCRC was founded through sponsorship from the Federal Department of Education Science and Technology program and was just recently awarded funding amounting to $32.5 million.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Prince George Birthday: Adorable New Pictures of George Touching a Butterfly on William's Hand Released [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 5 Marketing Nuggets We Can All Learn From Lady Gaga
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Multi-Million Pound Law Suit Looms Over Putin’s Head, Assets At Risk
- Ebola Virus on the Loose: World Cautioned as Infection Moves; Global Airports on High Alert; Kills Liberian Doctor, Infects American Worker
- 5 Uncanny Jobs That Actually Pay Very Well
- Advisory: Britons Told to Leave Libya ASAP, UK Issues Travel Ban
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal