Champions League Update: Liverpool Sealed the Fate of Manchester City
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | April 14, 2014 3:41 PM EST
Liverpool pushed their dream further in the Premier League after defeating Manchester City on Sunday at Anfield to reach the semifinal.
Liverpool's Philippe Courtinho (obscured) celebrates scoring against Manchester City with teammates during their English Premier League soccer match at Anfield in Liverpool, northern England April 13, 2014
Liverpool was at their best to clinch the crucial victory leading their way to secure the semifinal spot.
The hosts were all in the winning spree as they dominated the first half of the match, leading by 2-0. However, Manchester was looking destined to turn the tide in their favour when a goal from David Silva and self-foal from Glen Johnson led to an equaliser. The last stunner from Philippe Coutinho finally sealed the fate of the visitor.
Liverpool was all charged up as Captain Steven Gerrard held the helm with utmost confidence. The squad was dominating right from the first point. Raheem Sterling gave the host a lead at 6 minutes with a superb goal, surpassing Manchester's defence.
The second goal came at 26 minutes as Martin Škrtel placed a header from a corner kick of Gerrard.
Liverpool was cruising along the way, defending Manchester from every angle. At 34 minutes, Manchester looked to have deprived from a penalty kick by the referee when a bad tackle to Edin Džeko was left ignored, leaving fuming Manchester fans.
The third goal came at 57 minutes when David Silva placed a superb knock to bring back luck to the team.
At 62 minutes, a same-side goal from Glen Johnson equalised the match at 2-2.
Manchester looked to be all back in the fighting spree as they had decided to keep on fighting till the end to avoid humiliation.
But fate seemed to be with Liverpool when at 78 minutes Philippe Coutinho placed the final goal of the match, pushing the team to victory with 3-2.
One major setback for Liverpool as midfielder Jordan Henderson was shown the red card just prior to the end of the match which will set him away from the upcoming decisive matches.
This is the 10th straight victory for Liverpool, gathering 77 points to dominate at the peak of the chart.
Liverpool Manager Brendan Rogers praised the team for their valiant effort.
"We totally controlled the game. At halftime we were 2-0 up and it could have been more ... Congratulations to Man City because at 2-0 down we were incredible in the first half. You expect a 15-20 minute spell in which they get back into the game ...They showed the character in this group ... to come back and get composure again and score a brilliant goal and get three very valuable points," Rogers added.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28