Champions League Update: Liverpool Sealed the Fate of Manchester City
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | April 14, 2014 3:41 PM EST
Liverpool pushed their dream further in the Premier League after defeating Manchester City on Sunday at Anfield to reach the semifinal.
Liverpool's Philippe Courtinho (obscured) celebrates scoring against Manchester City with teammates during their English Premier League soccer match at Anfield in Liverpool, northern England April 13, 2014
Liverpool was at their best to clinch the crucial victory leading their way to secure the semifinal spot.
The hosts were all in the winning spree as they dominated the first half of the match, leading by 2-0. However, Manchester was looking destined to turn the tide in their favour when a goal from David Silva and self-foal from Glen Johnson led to an equaliser. The last stunner from Philippe Coutinho finally sealed the fate of the visitor.
Liverpool was all charged up as Captain Steven Gerrard held the helm with utmost confidence. The squad was dominating right from the first point. Raheem Sterling gave the host a lead at 6 minutes with a superb goal, surpassing Manchester's defence.
The second goal came at 26 minutes as Martin Škrtel placed a header from a corner kick of Gerrard.
Liverpool was cruising along the way, defending Manchester from every angle. At 34 minutes, Manchester looked to have deprived from a penalty kick by the referee when a bad tackle to Edin Džeko was left ignored, leaving fuming Manchester fans.
The third goal came at 57 minutes when David Silva placed a superb knock to bring back luck to the team.
At 62 minutes, a same-side goal from Glen Johnson equalised the match at 2-2.
Manchester looked to be all back in the fighting spree as they had decided to keep on fighting till the end to avoid humiliation.
But fate seemed to be with Liverpool when at 78 minutes Philippe Coutinho placed the final goal of the match, pushing the team to victory with 3-2.
One major setback for Liverpool as midfielder Jordan Henderson was shown the red card just prior to the end of the match which will set him away from the upcoming decisive matches.
This is the 10th straight victory for Liverpool, gathering 77 points to dominate at the peak of the chart.
Liverpool Manager Brendan Rogers praised the team for their valiant effort.
"We totally controlled the game. At halftime we were 2-0 up and it could have been more ... Congratulations to Man City because at 2-0 down we were incredible in the first half. You expect a 15-20 minute spell in which they get back into the game ...They showed the character in this group ... to come back and get composure again and score a brilliant goal and get three very valuable points," Rogers added.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- The Rock Reveals He And John Cena Nearly Fought Backstage [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- Maria Sharapova And Grigor Dimitrov Break Up News
- Boxing News 2014: Showtime VP Favours Pacquiao As Mayweather’s Next Ring Opponent; Money May Insists Fight Should Be Over Showtime PPV Only
- Three Reasons Why Brock Lesnar Must Fight The Undertaker At Night Of Champions And Not John Cena [VIDEO]
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date