Manny Pacquiao To Pursue Career as Pro Basketball Player; Is Pacman NBA Bound?
By Lou Ramon Aguila | April 14, 2014 2:56 PM EST
Manny Pacquiao may have reclaimed his WBO Welterweight belt after pummeling Timothy Bradley to a 12-round unanimous decision win Saturday night in Las Vegas, but he never ceased to seek more glory outside the squared circle.
Boxer Manny Pacquiao of the Philippines smiles during a news conference in New York August 6, 2013. Pacquiao will fight Brandon Rios of the U.S. in a welterweight match at the Venetian Macao in Macau on November 24. REUTERS/SHANNON STAPLETON
With another sensational win in the ring, Pacquiao will shift his focus to the hardcourt, as rumors indicated that the Filipino slugger is all set to join a team in the Philippine Basketball Association - Asia's first pay-for-play pro league.
Vince Golangco of WheninManila.com reported that the Pacman will suit up for Kia Motors, which is one of the three expansion teams approved to join the PBA next season.
"Pacquiao announced recently that he will also be suiting up as a basketball player or the Philippine Basketball Association (PBA) as a new member of the recently added Kia Motors basketball team.
It was just announced that Kia Motors, Blackwater and NLEX teams would be joining the PBA as the newest franchises for this recent three team expansion of the Philippine Basketball Association," according to the report.
Pacquiao is a passionate basketball fan to the extent that he included playing hoops to his workouts ahead of big fights. In fact, the Pacman played several sets of games against members of his training camp. Buboy Fernandez, the childhood friend and trainer of Pacquiao, said they aimed to improve the Pacman's footwork by allowing him to play hoops.
"Playing basketball has a big impact in boxing, especially in his footwork. Fernandez said in an interview with ABS-CBN News. "Unlike punishing roadworks, Pacquiao only needs to make short sprints in basketball, but it targeted his foot coordination.
Pacquiao is open to take his rivalry with Floyd Mayweather Jr. from the ring to the nearest hoops playground, if he really doesn't want to take him in a boxing match.
"Basketball, I can play with him basketball," Pacquiao said in a one-on-one interview on SportsDash on Friday." If he doesn't want to fight in the ring, we'll play basketball."
The 35-year old Pacquiao is certainly living his life to the fullest. His success in the boxing ring has become his launching pad to conquer other fields such as politics and entertainment. Now, Pacman is setting his sights on another sport, the one dominated by giants.
But who knows? Maybe Pacquiao has the talent to go all the way to top-flight basketball.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- UFC News: Rhonda Rousey To Avenge Teammates, Demands Bethe Correia
- FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: Argentina vs. Philippines Preview, Starting Lineups
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Group B: Greece vs. Philippines Live Streaming Info, Betting Odds and Preview
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: USA vs. Turkey Preview, Starting Lineups [VIDEO]
- Grigor Dimitrov Shares Fashion Tips With Maria Sharapova
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans