Samsung Galaxy S5 Active Confirmed with 277 Apps; Galaxy S5 Teardown Results and Dev Edition Details
By Gel Galang | April 14, 2014 1:54 PM EST
The Samsung Galaxy S5 Active seems all but confirmed as another leak hints at the as of yet unannounced device.
This time, the leak pertains to the inclusion of 277 apps with the Samsung Galaxy S5 Active, as @evleaks, notorious insider and information giver, has mentioned the new active APKs that may be found on the Samsung Galaxy S5 Active once it releases, reports Phone Arena.
The presence of the Samsung Galaxy S5 Active may be a question for some, since the main selling feature of the variant, which is a rugged spin to the Samsung Galaxy S5, has already been catered to by the water-proof and dust-proof qualities of the Samsung Galaxy S5.
But the report suggests the possibility that there may now be the IP68 certification level, which has already been granted to the Sony Xperia Z2. And to further suggest the existence of the Samsung Galaxy S5, the source adds that there is a current rumour that the Samsung Galaxy S5 Active will come to AT&T and Sprint, which are the first two carriers that have been connected to the device as early as now.
Teardown of the Galaxy S5: The verdict
iFixit has already conducted its own teardown of the Samsung Galaxy S5 and found a few surprising things when comparing it to its predecessor, the Samsung Galaxy S4.
Looking deeper inside the device, iFixit found that, after the rear case has been peeled back, you will find that the first midframe and display assembly are sandwiching a second midframe.
Overall, iFixit has rated the Samsung Galaxy S5 with a 5 out of 10 reparability score, putting only the battery as the only part that is easy to remove and replace. The display is pretty much easy to repair though it requires careful prying and even heat to remove. In fact, when you do try to remove the display, iFixit notes that you may be risking extra damage to the Samsung Galaxy S5.
Samsung Dev Edition coming to Verizon
The release for the Samsung Galaxy S5 is not yet over, as news that a developer edition will be coming to Verizon surfaces.
According to GSM Arena, the Developer Edition, which is currently called the ET-G900VMKA, will debut to the carrier. As the name implies, all of the hardware specs for the Samsung Galaxy S5 developer edition is the same with its Samsung Galaxy S5 vanilla version.
Those who are thinking of getting the dev edition will have the advantage of having an unlocked bootloader, so that users can check out the Android ROMs.
The report states that there are no announcements yet related to a possible U.S. release date for the developer edition.
Read more tech and gaming news:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- ‘Minecraft PS Vita,’ PS4 And Xbox One Updates And More On The Microsoft Deal
- 'The Sims 4' Mods: Buff Emotion Changes, Pay Very Low Bills And Enable Advanced Debug For Cheats
- iPhone 6 Plus Sold Out Apple Store Crash Due to Pre-orders: Where to Place Your Orders and the Packages Offered in the US and UK
- Meet 3 New 'Pokemon Omega Ruby And Alpha Sapphire' Mega Evolutions And Legendary Rayquaza
- ‘Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire’ Confirmed With Demo, More Info Revealed
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date