Samsung Galaxy S3 and Galaxy Note 2 Android 4.4 KitKat in Works; Rollout in Late April to May 2014
By Ryan Inoyori | April 14, 2014 1:23 PM EST
Official Android 4.4 KitKat for Samsung Galaxy S3 and Galaxy Note 2 remains unreleased but several signs have been outlined regarding its development including expected rollout by late April to May 2014.
The United States network carrier Sprint confirmed the Android 4.4 upgrade plan for Samsung Galaxy S3 in March 5th, 2014. Sprint posted on the official newsroom regarding eligible Samsung Galaxy devices receiving the latest Android OS version.
Sprint plans to release the latest firmware for the devices listed below:
1. Samsung Galaxy Note 2
2. Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini
3. Samsung Galaxy S3
4. Samsung Galaxy Mega
5. Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 7.0
However, Sprint has not received any given date yet when Galaxy S3 will receive Android 4.4 KitKat according to their reply at the official Sprint forum site. Sprint rolled out Android KitKat firmware for Galaxy S4 in Feb. 13th and Galaxy Note 3 in Feb. 20th.
Samsung Official List
Samsung U.S. still enlists Galaxy S3 as an eligible recipient of Android 4.4 KitKat. According to their official support FAQ, Galaxy S3 joins Galaxy S4 Active, Galaxy Mega, Galaxy S4 Mini, Galaxy S4 Zoom and Galaxy Note 2 among Android KitKat eligible devices.
However, Samsung did not specify which model of Galaxy S3 is going to receive the next major firmware upgrade. Galaxy S3 smartphone has two variants that differ in virtual memory chipset or RAM - one has 1 GB while the other sports 2 GB.
Galaxy Note 2 Firmware Testing
GFXBench caught the firmware testing of Android KitKat for Galaxy Note 2 and it shows that Samsung is giving the old phablet version 4.4.2.
Android 4.4.2 KitKat testing was performed on Galaxy Note 2 SHV-E250 and test was about 3D graphics performance. Results revealed certain details such as OpenGL ES 2.0 as 3D API, camera support and sensors.
However, HDR rich tone is not supported by the Android KitKat firmware which not a surprise due to the aging technology on Galaxy Note 2 but still good news for Galaxy S3 and Galaxy Note 2 owners knowing that the firmware is currently under development.
Leaked Document and Release Date
Samsung Galaxy S3 GT-I9300 already aged and the 18-month software update support have expired which means Android 4.4 KitKat is the final update for the smartphone.
A leaked document listing the model number and release date was caught by JustAboutPhones which includes Galaxy S3. Galaxy S3 GT-I9300 is expected to receive Android 4.4.2 KitKat starting from April to May 2014 along with Galaxy Note 2 and Galaxy Grand 2.
Android 4.4.2 KitKat for Galaxy S3 and Galaxy Note 2 will deliver new features such as Location Menu for easier GPS management, Enhanced Messaging functionality and upgrades on the Google Mobile Service apps.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge and Note 4 Designer Secrets: Behind The Materials, Edge Screen And S Pen
- 'The Sims 4' Mac Version: Bugs, Missing Elements Players Must Be Prepared Of
- 'Destiny' vs. 'Titanfall': New Legendary Gears Spotted And Update 8 Features Detailed
- 'World Of Warcraft' ‘The Iron Tide' 6.0.2 Patch Hotfixes Update Including New Resolved Issues Regarding Scenarios, Raids, Classes, Battlegrounds And Arenas
- How To Play 4K Graphics Quality On 1080p Games With Any Monitor Using NVIDIA Graphics Cards
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS