Samsung Galaxy S3 and Galaxy Note 2 Android 4.4 KitKat in Works; Rollout in Late April to May 2014
By Ryan Inoyori | April 14, 2014 1:23 PM EST
Official Android 4.4 KitKat for Samsung Galaxy S3 and Galaxy Note 2 remains unreleased but several signs have been outlined regarding its development including expected rollout by late April to May 2014.
The United States network carrier Sprint confirmed the Android 4.4 upgrade plan for Samsung Galaxy S3 in March 5th, 2014. Sprint posted on the official newsroom regarding eligible Samsung Galaxy devices receiving the latest Android OS version.
Sprint plans to release the latest firmware for the devices listed below:
1. Samsung Galaxy Note 2
2. Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini
3. Samsung Galaxy S3
4. Samsung Galaxy Mega
5. Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 7.0
However, Sprint has not received any given date yet when Galaxy S3 will receive Android 4.4 KitKat according to their reply at the official Sprint forum site. Sprint rolled out Android KitKat firmware for Galaxy S4 in Feb. 13th and Galaxy Note 3 in Feb. 20th.
Samsung Official List
Samsung U.S. still enlists Galaxy S3 as an eligible recipient of Android 4.4 KitKat. According to their official support FAQ, Galaxy S3 joins Galaxy S4 Active, Galaxy Mega, Galaxy S4 Mini, Galaxy S4 Zoom and Galaxy Note 2 among Android KitKat eligible devices.
However, Samsung did not specify which model of Galaxy S3 is going to receive the next major firmware upgrade. Galaxy S3 smartphone has two variants that differ in virtual memory chipset or RAM - one has 1 GB while the other sports 2 GB.
Galaxy Note 2 Firmware Testing
GFXBench caught the firmware testing of Android KitKat for Galaxy Note 2 and it shows that Samsung is giving the old phablet version 4.4.2.
Android 4.4.2 KitKat testing was performed on Galaxy Note 2 SHV-E250 and test was about 3D graphics performance. Results revealed certain details such as OpenGL ES 2.0 as 3D API, camera support and sensors.
However, HDR rich tone is not supported by the Android KitKat firmware which not a surprise due to the aging technology on Galaxy Note 2 but still good news for Galaxy S3 and Galaxy Note 2 owners knowing that the firmware is currently under development.
Leaked Document and Release Date
Samsung Galaxy S3 GT-I9300 already aged and the 18-month software update support have expired which means Android 4.4 KitKat is the final update for the smartphone.
A leaked document listing the model number and release date was caught by JustAboutPhones which includes Galaxy S3. Galaxy S3 GT-I9300 is expected to receive Android 4.4.2 KitKat starting from April to May 2014 along with Galaxy Note 2 and Galaxy Grand 2.
Android 4.4.2 KitKat for Galaxy S3 and Galaxy Note 2 will deliver new features such as Location Menu for easier GPS management, Enhanced Messaging functionality and upgrades on the Google Mobile Service apps.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Android 5.0 Lollipop Update Roundup: HTC, Google, LG, Motorola, Xolo, OnePlus, Samsung And Sony Upgrade Plans
- Sony Teases PS4 2.0 System Software Update As Sony Xperia Z2 And Z2 Tablet Get Remote Play
- ‘GTA V’ 1.18 Update: Heists, Zombies, Hydra Jets DLC Seemingly Possible
- 'Destiny' Third Subclass Weapon Upgrades: Super And Grenade Modifications Leaked [Video]
- ‘Destiny’ ‘The Dark Below’ DLC: XP Boosters, New Armours Revealed, Atheon Fixes
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch