Samsung Galaxy S3 and Galaxy Note 2 Android 4.4 KitKat in Works; Rollout in Late April to May 2014
By Ryan Inoyori | April 14, 2014 1:23 PM EST
Official Android 4.4 KitKat for Samsung Galaxy S3 and Galaxy Note 2 remains unreleased but several signs have been outlined regarding its development including expected rollout by late April to May 2014.
The United States network carrier Sprint confirmed the Android 4.4 upgrade plan for Samsung Galaxy S3 in March 5th, 2014. Sprint posted on the official newsroom regarding eligible Samsung Galaxy devices receiving the latest Android OS version.
Sprint plans to release the latest firmware for the devices listed below:
1. Samsung Galaxy Note 2
2. Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini
3. Samsung Galaxy S3
4. Samsung Galaxy Mega
5. Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 7.0
However, Sprint has not received any given date yet when Galaxy S3 will receive Android 4.4 KitKat according to their reply at the official Sprint forum site. Sprint rolled out Android KitKat firmware for Galaxy S4 in Feb. 13th and Galaxy Note 3 in Feb. 20th.
Samsung Official List
Samsung U.S. still enlists Galaxy S3 as an eligible recipient of Android 4.4 KitKat. According to their official support FAQ, Galaxy S3 joins Galaxy S4 Active, Galaxy Mega, Galaxy S4 Mini, Galaxy S4 Zoom and Galaxy Note 2 among Android KitKat eligible devices.
However, Samsung did not specify which model of Galaxy S3 is going to receive the next major firmware upgrade. Galaxy S3 smartphone has two variants that differ in virtual memory chipset or RAM - one has 1 GB while the other sports 2 GB.
Galaxy Note 2 Firmware Testing
GFXBench caught the firmware testing of Android KitKat for Galaxy Note 2 and it shows that Samsung is giving the old phablet version 4.4.2.
Android 4.4.2 KitKat testing was performed on Galaxy Note 2 SHV-E250 and test was about 3D graphics performance. Results revealed certain details such as OpenGL ES 2.0 as 3D API, camera support and sensors.
However, HDR rich tone is not supported by the Android KitKat firmware which not a surprise due to the aging technology on Galaxy Note 2 but still good news for Galaxy S3 and Galaxy Note 2 owners knowing that the firmware is currently under development.
Leaked Document and Release Date
Samsung Galaxy S3 GT-I9300 already aged and the 18-month software update support have expired which means Android 4.4 KitKat is the final update for the smartphone.
A leaked document listing the model number and release date was caught by JustAboutPhones which includes Galaxy S3. Galaxy S3 GT-I9300 is expected to receive Android 4.4.2 KitKat starting from April to May 2014 along with Galaxy Note 2 and Galaxy Grand 2.
Android 4.4.2 KitKat for Galaxy S3 and Galaxy Note 2 will deliver new features such as Location Menu for easier GPS management, Enhanced Messaging functionality and upgrades on the Google Mobile Service apps.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Windows 9 Release Date on October 2014, Not April 2015; Three Reasons to Upgrade from Windows XP and 7
- Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire New Pokemons Spotted and More Gym Leaders Introduced
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 vs 4.7-Inch iPhone 6
- Upcoming Games For Xbox One 2014
- Samsung Galaxy Note 3 vs. Sony Xperia C3: Features, Specs and Performance Compared
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon