Canada Gets Excited Over Blood Moon Total Lunar Eclipse, Harbinger of Doomsday?
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | April 14, 2014 1:04 PM EST
Canadians will be feted with a spectacular evening night show as the first of four total lunar eclipses starts on early Tuesday morning.
"We've actually had this cosmic dry spell that we've been under that's lasted over 2½ years now," Andrew Fazekas, a spokesman for the Royal Astronomical Society of Canada, said. "So we finally break that spell with this really beautiful total lunar eclipse where the full moon will turn an orangey-red in colour in the overnight period Monday night into Tuesday, April 14th to the 15th."
Total Lunar Eclipse 2014: Where to Watch Live; NASA to Provide Live Commentary
Unlike with solar eclipses, lunar eclipses can be viewed even with just the naked eyes. "You can see this one - even within city limits - just using your eyes ... You don't need binoculars and it's totally safe to see a lunar eclipse."
Andrew Fraknoi, chair of the astronomy department at Foothill College in Los Alto Hills, said it's going to be "one of the most democratic of astronomical phenomena," he said. "Everyone around the U.S. and Canada will be able to see it. It will be visual over anywhere you can see the full moon."
People in both North and South America have the opportunity starting about 2 am on early Tuesday morning to observe a full lunar eclipse, which according to NASA will turn the moon to turn a dusty, coppery red colour.
At 12:58 am CDT Tuesday, the moon will move into Earth's shadow. The full lunar eclipse -- when the entirety of the moon is shaded by Earth -- begins just over an hour later at 2:07 am and lasts until 3:25 am.
What makes this total lunar eclipse particularly noteworthy to doomsday sayers is that it coincides with the Jewish holiday of Passover, a celebration of the death angel's passing over those Jews who had painted their door posts with lambs' blood.
According to Joel 2:31 in the Common English Bible, the tetrad of lunar eclipses is a sign of the end times. "The sun will be turned to darkness, and the moon to blood before the great and dreadful day of the LORD comes."
The next total lunar eclipse also visible from nearly all of North America happens in October. The next are on April 4, 2015, and Sept. 28, 2015.
NASA said there will be nine tetrads of eclipses during this century.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
- Walking Is Superfood For Fitness; Celebrities Who Walk For Health
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
Join the Conversation
- Latest UFO Sighting Arizona: Couple See A Strange House That Appears Out Of No Where and Disappears, MUFON Report
- Astronomical Events October 2014: Blood-Red Total Lunar Eclipse, Solar Eclipse, Two Meteor Showers And Other Occurrences To Watch Out For
- Couple Who Paid Young Girls To Stomp Puppy To Death Gets Life Sentence
- NASA's Curiosity Rover Discovers Water On Martian Soil: Mars Not A Dry Planet
- Malaysian Flight MH370 Latest Update: New Search Images Reveal Unknown Seabed Details In The Indian Ocean [Watch Video]
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build
- Samsung Aware Of Gap Issue On Galaxy Note 4, Mentions It As Important Manufacturing Feature In Note 4 User Manual
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks