Canada Gets Excited Over Blood Moon Total Lunar Eclipse, Harbinger of Doomsday?
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | April 14, 2014 1:04 PM EST
Canadians will be feted with a spectacular evening night show as the first of four total lunar eclipses starts on early Tuesday morning.
"We've actually had this cosmic dry spell that we've been under that's lasted over 2½ years now," Andrew Fazekas, a spokesman for the Royal Astronomical Society of Canada, said. "So we finally break that spell with this really beautiful total lunar eclipse where the full moon will turn an orangey-red in colour in the overnight period Monday night into Tuesday, April 14th to the 15th."
Total Lunar Eclipse 2014: Where to Watch Live; NASA to Provide Live Commentary
Unlike with solar eclipses, lunar eclipses can be viewed even with just the naked eyes. "You can see this one - even within city limits - just using your eyes ... You don't need binoculars and it's totally safe to see a lunar eclipse."
Andrew Fraknoi, chair of the astronomy department at Foothill College in Los Alto Hills, said it's going to be "one of the most democratic of astronomical phenomena," he said. "Everyone around the U.S. and Canada will be able to see it. It will be visual over anywhere you can see the full moon."
People in both North and South America have the opportunity starting about 2 am on early Tuesday morning to observe a full lunar eclipse, which according to NASA will turn the moon to turn a dusty, coppery red colour.
At 12:58 am CDT Tuesday, the moon will move into Earth's shadow. The full lunar eclipse -- when the entirety of the moon is shaded by Earth -- begins just over an hour later at 2:07 am and lasts until 3:25 am.
What makes this total lunar eclipse particularly noteworthy to doomsday sayers is that it coincides with the Jewish holiday of Passover, a celebration of the death angel's passing over those Jews who had painted their door posts with lambs' blood.
According to Joel 2:31 in the Common English Bible, the tetrad of lunar eclipses is a sign of the end times. "The sun will be turned to darkness, and the moon to blood before the great and dreadful day of the LORD comes."
The next total lunar eclipse also visible from nearly all of North America happens in October. The next are on April 4, 2015, and Sept. 28, 2015.
NASA said there will be nine tetrads of eclipses during this century.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- Ice Bucket Challenge Toddler Scarlett-Rose Davis Who Uses F-Word Apologises - Watch Original Video
- Papua New Guinea’s Mount Tavurvur Erupts, Qantas Reroutes Flights
- Tiny Beads Found In Shampoo And Exfoliants Are A Threat to the Sydney Harbour
- Underground Eruption of A Volcano Noticed As Powerful Earthquakes Rock Iceland
- New Nail Polish Changes Colour When Exposed to Date-Rape Drugs: Helps Women Safety
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Confirmed as Apple Sets Sept 9 iWatch, 2 iPhones Intro - Report
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- ISIS Wants $6.6M and Release of Aafia Siddiqui in Exchange of Head of Female US Humanitarian Aid Worker, 1st American Fighting for Jihadis Dead
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- Ukraine Ceasefire Looks Remote As Putin Talks Tough At Meeting With Poroshenko
- Windows 9 To Include Interactive Live Tiles and Notification Center in Metro 2.0