Prince George’s Photoshopped Pic On British Magazine Raises Ethics Row In New Zealand
By Anne Lu | April 14, 2014 12:56 PM EST
Prince George’s playdate picture was Photoshopped for a British magazine, and the photographer isn’t crazy about it. Prince William and Kate Middleton’s eight-month-old heir’s own image was unaltered, but the toy that he was holding was, raising the question of ethics of amending another’s work.
Prince George, son of Britain's Prince William and his wife Catherine, the Duchess of Cambridge, plays with a toy during a Plunket nurse and parents group event at the Government House in Wellington April 9, 2014. The Royal New Zealand Plunket Society, or Plunket for short, is a national not-for-profit organisation that provides care for children and families in New Zealand. Britain's Prince William and his wife Kate are undertaking a 19-day official visit to New Zealand and Australia with their son George. REUTERS/Marty Melville/Pool
On Wednesday, the chubby prince met several kids his age during a playdate set at the Government House in Wellington, New Zealand. One of the photos taken sees George holding a bead frame wooden toy with an inscription that identifies it as part of the Tawa-Linden Plunket Toy Library.
The photo was published in both local and international publications as it is, but when the British magazine Majesty ran it, the inscription was missing.
Majesty Magazine previewed the cover for its May 2014 issue on its Facebook page, in which the said photo was featured. However, the handwritten inscription “TLPTL T157,” including a crossed-out text, was Photoshopped out.
There is no caption informing readers that the image has been digitally altered.
Mr Melville was baffled why the magazine removed the inscription because it “didn’t really distract from the photo.”
He told the New Zealand Herald that altering a photo and not adding a caption to indicate is a serious matter. He would be raising the issue with the AFP.
“You can crop, adjust levels [of brightness, contrast and colour-correction], but you cannot add or take away anything that’s in the original photograph,” he told the Herald.
“Agencies take a very dim view if clients download their photos and then alter them.”
Mr Melville took the image on a pool basis, said Richard Brooks, the AFP deputy photo direction for Asia Pacific. It means that the photo was distributed to other agencies in New Zealand, Australia, and beyond, and the agencies are then free to pass it on to their clients. Majesty might have received the photo from one of those agencies.
Mr Brooks said that AFP did not give permission to the agencies to have the image digitally altered in any form outside the normal and accepted standards of colour adjustment and cropping.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Female Tennis Athletes [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Celebrities’ Leaked Nude Photos: Master-List Printed, Selena Gomez, Kim Kardashian, Kate Upton, Jennifer Lawrence, Kaley Cuoco, Rihanna, More Names On It
- ‘Batman V Superman: Dawn Of Justice’ First Photo Of Lex Luthor Leaked, Jesse Eisenberg On Villain’s Role And Plot Details Revealed
- Nick Cannon–Mariah Carey Divorce Reports: Nick Dating Younger Woman
- Nude Photos Leaked: Mary Elizabeth Winstead Says Nude Photos Hers, Faces Backlash, Takes Twitter Break
- ‘Bachelor In Paradise’ Spoilers: Find Out Whether AshLee Frazier And Graham Bunn Last Till The End; Meet The New Arrivals Of Episode 6
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display