Australian Stock Market Report – Midday 4/14/14
By Juliette Saly, CommSec Market Analyst | April 14, 2014 12:27 PM EST
The Australian share market has started the trading week in the red, following more selling on Wall Street on Friday. Investors continued to book profits in technology, biotech and pharmaceutical stocks sending the NASDAQ Index lower by more than three per cent over the course of the week.
An office worker is reflected in the window of the Australian Securities Exchange building displaying the ASX50 curve for Wednesday in central Sydney August 7, 2013.
In early trade, our market is down 0.4 per cent.
Nearly every sector is trading lower, with the info tech sector down another 1.3 per cent, adding to Friday's 2.5 per cent loss.
Telstra (TLS) is well-supported, firmer by 0.6 per cent to $5.08 on defensive buying.
Shares in drugs wholesaler Australian Pharmaceutical Industries (API) have been placed in a trading halt, at 56.5 cents, ahead of an announcement by the company on the carrying value of its assets. API expects the halt to remain until the start of trade on Wednesday, unless the announcement is made before then. API operates pharmacies including Soul Pattison and Priceline. It's due to report it half yearly numbers on April 30.
In economic news, Australia has slipped down the leader-board of the CommSec iPad index, reflecting higher domestic pricing for Apple's tablet device. Australia had been the fourth cheapest country to buy a 16GB iPad with Retina display when the index was last compiled in September 2013. Now Australia is 13th cheapest of 51 countries to buy the newer iPad Air device.
Official figures show the average credit card balance was $3,205.60 in February, up $58.70 or 1.9%. Balances are down $75.80 or 2.3% on a year ago.
The Australian dollar is well supported at US94c.
So far on the market, 513 million shares have changed hands, worth $981 million. 293 are up, 450 are down and 303 are unchanged.
More from IBT Markets:
Follow us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Subscribe to get this delivered to your inbox daily
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- 9/11 Dust Cloud Most Likely Have Created Pregnancy Issues: Celebrities Who Posed Nude During Pregnancy
Join the Conversation
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- Nexus 6 Release Date Dilemma with Motorola Shamu Details Pointing to Better Smartphone and Killer Features
- iPhone 6 Release Date Remains On Course for Sept-Oct 2014 as Apple Delays iWatch Debut to 2015