Boxing News 2014: Should Timothy Bradley Be Placed Under Suicide Watch After First Defeat in the Ring?
By Vittorio Hernandez | April 14, 2014 9:17 AM EST
Which could be more humiliating - suffering a loss in the ring or being proclaimed winner but being doubted by sports fans that the athlete deserves the title?
Apr 12, 2014; Las Vegas, NV, USA; Mother of Manny Pacquiao Dionesia Dapidran-Pacquiao holds up his gloves after the WBO World Welterweight Title bout against Timothy Bradley at MGM Grand Garden Arena. Pacquiao won via unanimous decision. Mandatory Credit: Joe Camporeale-USA TODAY Sports
That is possibly the situation the once-undefeated American boxer Timothy Bradley would be dealing with the coming days following his loss on Saturday, April 12, to eight-division titleholder Manny Pacquiao in a unanimous decision.
On the eve of his rematch with Pacquiao, Bradley had admitted contemplating suicide because of the verbal abuse he got from boxing fans who drop snide remarks that he didn't deserve the WBO welterweight title and he must consequently return the belt.
Although he had battled the accompanying depression caused by doubts over his win in the controversial June 2012 first bout, until Friday night, Bradley was confident he would win the rematch and perhaps, if he gets lucky, end the bout early enough via a knockout.
Not only did the KO not happen, but the judges' decision favoured Pacquiao, dealing the 30-year-old boxer his first loss in the hands of a boxer 5 years his senior and whom he dismissed as having lost his killer instinct.
If boxing fans were to listen to Bradley's statement after his loss, it would appear that he is handling his loss well as he said, "I lost one fight. The war is not over. I gotta go back to the gym and get better."
He even added, "I tried. I really tried. I just lost to the best fighter in the world."
So far, based on Bradley's response, there are appears to be no need to place him on a suicide watch. Suffering defeat and eating humble pie appears to have done the once trash-talking pugilist more good than harm compared to upper cuts on his ego caused by doubts from boxing fans if he really deserved the championship belt he won in June 2012.
He was even quoted as saying in a post-fight press conference, "I don't want to take anything from Pacquiao. He fought a courageous fight and he did his best. I have to accept defeat like a man."
Indeed, Bradley seems to have become a changed man like Pacquiao who have been transformed from an alleged womaniser to a faithful husband, or could it have been the effect of the alleged hex that Manny's mum, Dionesia Pacquiao, is suspected of having cast on Bradley at the height of the rematch?
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- 9/11 Dust Cloud Most Likely Have Created Pregnancy Issues: Celebrities Who Posed Nude During Pregnancy
Join the Conversation
- Tim Tebow Stars in SEC Network Commercial
- Fernando Alonso Describes Michael Schumacher as the Strongest Opponent He Has Faced in F1
- Arsenal FC: Wenger Satisfied Despite Coming Out with a Draw against Besiktas
- Serena Williams and Patrick Mouratoglou Break-up Unlikely, Coach Posts Instagram Photos of Girlfriend
- Serena Williams and Rumoured Boyfriend Patrick Mouratoglou Spotted on a Date in NYC
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- Nexus 6 Release Date Dilemma with Motorola Shamu Details Pointing to Better Smartphone and Killer Features
- iPhone 6 Release Date Remains On Course for Sept-Oct 2014 as Apple Delays iWatch Debut to 2015