Boxing News 2014: Should Timothy Bradley Be Placed Under Suicide Watch After First Defeat in the Ring?
By Vittorio Hernandez | April 14, 2014 9:17 AM EST
Which could be more humiliating - suffering a loss in the ring or being proclaimed winner but being doubted by sports fans that the athlete deserves the title?
Apr 12, 2014; Las Vegas, NV, USA; Mother of Manny Pacquiao Dionesia Dapidran-Pacquiao holds up his gloves after the WBO World Welterweight Title bout against Timothy Bradley at MGM Grand Garden Arena. Pacquiao won via unanimous decision. Mandatory Credit: Joe Camporeale-USA TODAY Sports
That is possibly the situation the once-undefeated American boxer Timothy Bradley would be dealing with the coming days following his loss on Saturday, April 12, to eight-division titleholder Manny Pacquiao in a unanimous decision.
On the eve of his rematch with Pacquiao, Bradley had admitted contemplating suicide because of the verbal abuse he got from boxing fans who drop snide remarks that he didn't deserve the WBO welterweight title and he must consequently return the belt.
Although he had battled the accompanying depression caused by doubts over his win in the controversial June 2012 first bout, until Friday night, Bradley was confident he would win the rematch and perhaps, if he gets lucky, end the bout early enough via a knockout.
Not only did the KO not happen, but the judges' decision favoured Pacquiao, dealing the 30-year-old boxer his first loss in the hands of a boxer 5 years his senior and whom he dismissed as having lost his killer instinct.
If boxing fans were to listen to Bradley's statement after his loss, it would appear that he is handling his loss well as he said, "I lost one fight. The war is not over. I gotta go back to the gym and get better."
He even added, "I tried. I really tried. I just lost to the best fighter in the world."
So far, based on Bradley's response, there are appears to be no need to place him on a suicide watch. Suffering defeat and eating humble pie appears to have done the once trash-talking pugilist more good than harm compared to upper cuts on his ego caused by doubts from boxing fans if he really deserved the championship belt he won in June 2012.
He was even quoted as saying in a post-fight press conference, "I don't want to take anything from Pacquiao. He fought a courageous fight and he did his best. I have to accept defeat like a man."
Indeed, Bradley seems to have become a changed man like Pacquiao who have been transformed from an alleged womaniser to a faithful husband, or could it have been the effect of the alleged hex that Manny's mum, Dionesia Pacquiao, is suspected of having cast on Bradley at the height of the rematch?
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- Rafael Nadal’s Coach Reveals The Spanish Athlete Will Be Back On Court Soon
- Boxing News 2014: Showtime VP Favours Pacquiao As Mayweather’s Next Ring Opponent; Money May Insists Fight Should Be Over Showtime PPV Only
- Three Reasons Why Brock Lesnar Must Fight The Undertaker At Night Of Champions And Not John Cena [VIDEO]
- Michael Schumacher Rehabilitation Update: F1 Champion In-Home Health Care And Services Consist Of 15 Medical Staff
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MF 370: Indonesian Police Chief Claims He Knows What Happened To Missing Jet