Boxing News 2014: Bob Arum Urges Boycott of May 3 Bout to Force Mayweather to Agree to Fight Pacquiao
By Vittorio Hernandez | April 14, 2014 9:08 AM EST
With the April 12 convincing ring victory of eight-division titleholder Manny Pacquiao over the once undefeated American boxer Timothy Bradley, the Filipino congressman once more regained his stature as a boxing legend.
Boxing promoter Bob Arum, CEO of Top Rank, speaks during a boxing news conference at the MGM Grand Hotel and Casino in Las Vegas, Nevada April 9, 2014. Manny Pacquiao of the Philippines will challenge undefeated WBO welterweight champion Timothy Bradley of the U.S. at the MGM Grand Garden Arena on April 12. The fight is a rematch of a June 9, 2012 fight that Bradley won. REUTERS/Las Vegas Sun/Steve Marcus (UNITED STATES - Tags: SPORT BOXING) April 9, 2014
Prior to Saturday's unanimous decision not questioned by boxing fans, Floyd Mayweather Jr had indicated he is no longer interested in a match with Pacquiao because of his two ring defeats by Juan Miguel Marquez and Bradley.
However, with Pacquiao showing he still has the killer instinct, contrary to Bradley's trash talk, there are fresh speculations that his win could lead to the much-awaited dream fight which Bradley had also dreamt of being a major player.
Aware of Money May's dislike for Pacquiao's promoter, Bob Arum of Top Rank, the 82-year-old promoter suggested boycotting Mayweather's scheduled May 3 bout with Argentinean boxer Marcos Maidana to force Money May to negotiate with him despite the mutual dislike between Arum and Mayweather who is his former ward.
Arum, quoted by Yahoo Sports, explained, "The only people that can make Floyd Mayweather fight Manny is the public, if they boycott the nonsense on May 3."
"That's what the public should do. [If the media] want that fight, tell the public not to buy pay-per-view and not to buy tickets," he said at the post Pacquiao-Bradley press conference on Saturday, even as he expressed willingness to sit down with Mayweather and his team to craft conditions for the fight.
Since 2009, the bout between the two pound-for-pound kings have been the subject of negotiations and speculations, but discussions have bogged on blood testing. After Pacquiao's problem with Philippine tax authorities became news, Mayweather accused Pacman of reviving the dream match for the Filipino champion to raise money to settle his alleged tax debts.
Arum's suggestion could also be his way of getting back at MGM Grand because of the hotel's giving Mayweather's May 3 bout versus Maidana more priority when it comes to promotional materials compared to how it promoted the Pacquiao-Bradley rematch.
Both Pacquiao and Mayweather have indicated they are approaching the retirement in the next few years, but boxing experts said that no one can lay a claim on the pound-for-pound title unless it is settled in the ring who is better between Pacman and Money May.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tasks Engineers to Create the Perfect Tennis Racquet [VIDEO]
- LeBron James and Cleveland Cavaliers the Team to Beat in the East – Paul George
- Roger Federer Forced to Take Down Children's Play Area on his Property in Valbella
- Chelsea FC Transfer News: Renewed Hope for Blues, as Paul Pogba's Agent Revealed that 'Anything is Possible'
- UFC 183: Anderson Silva vs. Nick Diaz Receives Mixed Reactions on Twitter
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 6 Most Wanted Feature Upgrades for Next iPhone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- HTC One M8 Windows Phone to Launch for Verizon; Release Date, Price, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate for New Smartphone
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: ‘Out of control… and Can Get Worse'; Asky Airline Stops Flying to Liberia, Sierra Leone; Liberia Closes Schools
- Galaxy Note 4 Release Date Ahead of iPhone 6 Sept 2014 Debut; Specced-Up but Remains Plastic-Wrapped – Reports