'Man Of Steel' Alter Ego: Meet The Red Son Superman, Spoilers
By Daniel Joseph Cruz | April 14, 2014 3:51 AM EST
Jerry Siegel and Joe Schuster's original comic super hero icon "Superman" gets a different alter ego twist. Author Mark Millar gave life to a new character of "Red Son Superman" that came from his idea of, "what if Superman had been raised in the Soviet Union?"
Mark Millar was fascinated by the idea of a different "Superman" when he was only six years old. As he grew up, he was able to complete together all the pieces of the story. Eventually, he succeeded in passing on the "Red Son Superman" story to DC Comics.
"Superman: Red Son" is a three-issue comic mini-series published by DC comics. It was released in the already existing DC premise "Elseworlds". Having "Elseworlds", which is an alternate universe around in the DC comic world, it wasn't so hard to inject a different "Superman" to existence.
Not only "Superman" had a different take in the story, but a few prominent "Justice League" members as well.
To start off with the story, Superman's rocket ship landed in a Ukrainian collective farm. Just like the Kent couple in the original story, two farmers who found him, raised him into a good man who is loyal to the cause of communism. When he started to make it to the ranks of Stalin's Army, he was immediately favored and praised by his fellow comrades.
Stalin even went on as to adopt Superman as his successor to lead the Soviet Union to triumph and domination worldwide.
Along the way, he has also met the other superheroes. "Superman" met "Wonder Woman" during the grand celebration for his official take-over as Leader of the Soviet nation. They quickly became allies and both worked together for the good.
"Batman" also appears with a short existence in the story. Very characteristic of the Dark Knight, he opposed and almost defeated Superman in an exciting strategic fight.
"Green Lantern" makes a cameo as he led a group of other ring-bearers to stop Superman in the latter part of the story.
"Lois Lane" is also present in the story. She was married to "Lex Luthor", but somehow has a romantic interest to "Superman". Their love story didn't develop as much and lasted unrequitedly.
Superman's arch nemesis, "Lex Luthor", was depicted as the Scientist Leader for "S.T.A.R." labs. With his genius tactics and ways, he is primed to oppose the overwhelming powers of Superman.
Red Son Superman in this story takes on many challenges of dominating and balancing the world.
Will he know his true self? Will he find rationality for his actions? And will he rather choose to defeat Lex Luthor, or sacrifice himself for a "perfect" and crimeless world?
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Ian Somerhalder–Nina Dobrev Reunion Not Happening: 'The Vampire Diaries' (TVD) Star Is 'Falling In Love' With Nikki Reed—Report
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7, Episode 7 Spoilers: Gemma’s World Starts To Crumble in ‘Greensleeves’ [VIDEO]
- 'Fifty Shades of Grey' Plot Update: Sexy Scenes Revealed, Jamie Dornan Kisses Dakota Johnson In Reshoot
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Lawson’s Girlfriend Reportedly Entering the House Plus Sandra Gets Evicted [VIDEO]
- 'NCIS' Season 12, Episode 5 Spoilers: Gibbs' Gut OKs FBI Agent Leia Pendergast; A Favorite Guest Star Returns [Watch NCIS 12x5 Promo Video]
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Meizu MX4 Pro To Arrive In November In Black And White Colours, Features Higher Than QHD Display, Exynos 5430 SoC And 3 GB RAM
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report