Lok Sabha Elections 2014: Modi Invites Deve Gowda to Gujarat to Take Refuge
By Rama Mohan | April 13, 2014 10:22 PM EST
Prime ministerial candidate of Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) Narendra Modi has invited former prime minister and Janata Dal (Secular) party president HD Deve Gowda to Gujarat to take refuge. Modi's invitation to Gowda came at an election rally in Chikkaballapur near Bangalore on 13 April 2014.
Modi also addressed another election rally at Chimmagalur in Karnataka on the same day.
Modi's invitation to Gowda comes in the wake of latter's challenge that if Modi gets the BJP-led NDA alliance the required majority numbers to form the next government and becomes the prime minister, he (Gowda) swore that he will retire from politics permanently and leave his home state Karnataka.
Modi invited Gowda to Gujarat to live there, implying that he (Modi) will surely become the next prime minister, forcing Gowda to leave Karnataka to fulfill his vow to take political sanyas.
"Deve Gowdaji, you are an elderly person. You are the former PM of India. I am like your son...," Narendra Modi said addressing Gowda from the dais of the poll rally.
"I publicly promise you that if staying here has become a problem, then I pray - you don't worry. I will make all arrangements for you in Gujarat. If you want to live in an old-age home, live in a house, farm-house or if you want to live in my house, I would render service more than your son. Narendra Modi will do everything to give you respect and honour. Deve Gowdaji I welcome you and think you also have a son even in Gujarat who is ready to render services for you," Deccan Herald quoted Modi.
It can be recalled here that Gowda's party JDS formed a government in Karnataka in February 2006 in alliance with BJP and his son Kumaraswamy became the coalition's first chief minister.
Modi also attacked Gowda on dynastic politics, where even in political parties, a family members occupy prime posts, depriving others.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Matmo Leaves 32k Customers w/o Electricity in Taiwan, Weakens After Landing in China
Join the Conversation
- Ideological Support Swells for Scottish Independence
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Dutch Wants Putin's Daughter Maria Deported to Russia From Holland
- New Zealand and China Decide to Boost Defence Ties
- Gaza Crisis: 695 Dead & 4,500 Injured, UN Accuses Israel of War Crimes
- Scientists Warn MERS Virus Could be Spread Airborne
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales