Mars Coming Close to Earth 2014: Watch the Biggest Brightest Red Planet Live Online [VIDEO]
By Ankita Mehta | April 13, 2014 10:15 PM EST
This Monday (14 April) one can see the biggest and brightest Mars as it will come close to Earth.
A day before the lunar eclipse and a week after opposition, the Red Planet will have its closet encounter with Earth. It will be just 92 million kilometers (57 million miles) away from Earth.
Mars Coming Close to Earth 2014: Watch the Biggest and Brightest Red Planet Live Online [VIDEO]
The planet will shine like butterscotch-color star virtually on Monday night, according to NBC news.
"These opportunities only come about every two years. Most of the time, Mars is pretty far away," said Alan MacRobert, senior editor for Sky & Telescope magazine.
The last time when Mars was close to Earth was in 2007. However, after Monday night, the Red Planet will again make a distance and will come even closer to Earth in 2016.
One can even watch the International Space Station on Monday night. For more updates click here.
"The space station looks like a fast-moving plane in the sky, but it is dozens of times higher than any airplane and traveling thousands of miles an hour faster. It is bright enough that it can even be seen from the middle of a city," NASA reported.
Meanwhile, Slooh will broadcast the event live on YouTube starting at 10 pm EDT/7 PM PDT/ 7.30 am IST (15 April) from Canary Islands.
Slooh host Observatory Director Paul Cox along with astronomer Bob Berman will give live commentary of the event.
Watch the live stream of the celestial phenomena here:
Photo credit: NASA
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Virus Might Reach Australia in Months; Health Dept Says Australia Prepared For Outbreak
- Woman, 40, Charged after Six Baby Corpses Found in Canada U-Haul Locker
- ISIS Educates Young Children in 'School of Jihad,' Deploys Them in Active Combat After Graduation [VIDEO]
- Seven Weird Things Banned by Governments
- ISIS Taking U.S.-Airdropped Weapons An 'Embarrassment'; Another Yazidi Massacre Looming [VIDEO]
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports