Mars Coming Close to Earth 2014: Watch the Biggest Brightest Red Planet Live Online [VIDEO]
By Ankita Mehta | April 13, 2014 10:15 PM EST
This Monday (14 April) one can see the biggest and brightest Mars as it will come close to Earth.
A day before the lunar eclipse and a week after opposition, the Red Planet will have its closet encounter with Earth. It will be just 92 million kilometers (57 million miles) away from Earth.
Mars Coming Close to Earth 2014: Watch the Biggest and Brightest Red Planet Live Online [VIDEO]
The planet will shine like butterscotch-color star virtually on Monday night, according to NBC news.
"These opportunities only come about every two years. Most of the time, Mars is pretty far away," said Alan MacRobert, senior editor for Sky & Telescope magazine.
The last time when Mars was close to Earth was in 2007. However, after Monday night, the Red Planet will again make a distance and will come even closer to Earth in 2016.
One can even watch the International Space Station on Monday night. For more updates click here.
"The space station looks like a fast-moving plane in the sky, but it is dozens of times higher than any airplane and traveling thousands of miles an hour faster. It is bright enough that it can even be seen from the middle of a city," NASA reported.
Meanwhile, Slooh will broadcast the event live on YouTube starting at 10 pm EDT/7 PM PDT/ 7.30 am IST (15 April) from Canary Islands.
Slooh host Observatory Director Paul Cox along with astronomer Bob Berman will give live commentary of the event.
Watch the live stream of the celestial phenomena here:
Photo credit: NASA
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
Join the Conversation
- 15 Orgasms/Week, $27K/Yr Salary Not Bad for Professional Toy Tester Cara Houiellebecq (VIDEO)
- Thai’s Crackdown on Commercial Surrogacy Exposes Aussie Couple’s Appalling Deed
- 2014 Perseid Meteor Shower vs. Supermoon: Best to View Meteor Shower Display before August 12 to 13 Peak
- Australian Wanted Man Threatens Terror in Australia, Demands Release of Muslim Prisoners
- Viral Video Cyring Sadie: 5-Year-Old Little Girl Does Not Want Her Baby Brother to Grow Up [WATCH VIDEO]
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 6 Most Wanted Feature Upgrades for Next iPhone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- HTC One M8 Windows Phone to Launch for Verizon; Release Date, Price, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate for New Smartphone
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff