Mars Coming Close to Earth 2014: Watch the Biggest Brightest Red Planet Live Online [VIDEO]
By Ankita Mehta | April 13, 2014 10:15 PM EST
This Monday (14 April) one can see the biggest and brightest Mars as it will come close to Earth.
A day before the lunar eclipse and a week after opposition, the Red Planet will have its closet encounter with Earth. It will be just 92 million kilometers (57 million miles) away from Earth.
Mars Coming Close to Earth 2014: Watch the Biggest and Brightest Red Planet Live Online [VIDEO]
The planet will shine like butterscotch-color star virtually on Monday night, according to NBC news.
"These opportunities only come about every two years. Most of the time, Mars is pretty far away," said Alan MacRobert, senior editor for Sky & Telescope magazine.
The last time when Mars was close to Earth was in 2007. However, after Monday night, the Red Planet will again make a distance and will come even closer to Earth in 2016.
One can even watch the International Space Station on Monday night. For more updates click here.
"The space station looks like a fast-moving plane in the sky, but it is dozens of times higher than any airplane and traveling thousands of miles an hour faster. It is bright enough that it can even be seen from the middle of a city," NASA reported.
Meanwhile, Slooh will broadcast the event live on YouTube starting at 10 pm EDT/7 PM PDT/ 7.30 am IST (15 April) from Canary Islands.
Slooh host Observatory Director Paul Cox along with astronomer Bob Berman will give live commentary of the event.
Watch the live stream of the celestial phenomena here:
Photo credit: NASA
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Fears Cause Hysteria In United States And Around The World
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess All Smiles In First Public Appearance, Sickness Seems Over
- Baby Corpses Found in Storage Locker in Canada
- Woman Stuck In Chimney: Genoveva Nunez-Figueroa Arrested For Attempted Break-In After Rescue Team Pulls Stuck Woman Out Of Chimney
- ISIS Taking U.S.-Airdropped Weapons An 'Embarrassment'; Another Yazidi Massacre Looming [VIDEO]
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report