Mars Coming Close to Earth 2014: Watch the Biggest Brightest Red Planet Live Online [VIDEO]
By Ankita Mehta | April 13, 2014 10:15 PM EST
This Monday (14 April) one can see the biggest and brightest Mars as it will come close to Earth.
A day before the lunar eclipse and a week after opposition, the Red Planet will have its closet encounter with Earth. It will be just 92 million kilometers (57 million miles) away from Earth.
Mars Coming Close to Earth 2014: Watch the Biggest and Brightest Red Planet Live Online [VIDEO]
The planet will shine like butterscotch-color star virtually on Monday night, according to NBC news.
"These opportunities only come about every two years. Most of the time, Mars is pretty far away," said Alan MacRobert, senior editor for Sky & Telescope magazine.
The last time when Mars was close to Earth was in 2007. However, after Monday night, the Red Planet will again make a distance and will come even closer to Earth in 2016.
One can even watch the International Space Station on Monday night. For more updates click here.
"The space station looks like a fast-moving plane in the sky, but it is dozens of times higher than any airplane and traveling thousands of miles an hour faster. It is bright enough that it can even be seen from the middle of a city," NASA reported.
Meanwhile, Slooh will broadcast the event live on YouTube starting at 10 pm EDT/7 PM PDT/ 7.30 am IST (15 April) from Canary Islands.
Slooh host Observatory Director Paul Cox along with astronomer Bob Berman will give live commentary of the event.
Watch the live stream of the celestial phenomena here:
Photo credit: NASA
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Kanye West, Ben Affleck, Serena Williams Are Victims Of Migraines: Ways To Tackle It
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Sickness: Prince Harry Cancels His 30th Birthday Party, Opts For Simple Gathering
- Rare Blue Flawless Diamond, Costing $25.6 Million, Is The Newest Attraction At The Natural History Museum
- Afghan Pizza Man Shot Dead in Canada
- At What Age Do Boys And Girls Look Best To Each Other?
- 24-year-old Playboy Model Marries 81-year-old Construction Tycoon Richard Lugner
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date