Mars Coming Close to Earth 2014: Watch the Biggest Brightest Red Planet Live Online [VIDEO]
By Ankita Mehta | April 13, 2014 10:15 PM EST
This Monday (14 April) one can see the biggest and brightest Mars as it will come close to Earth.
A day before the lunar eclipse and a week after opposition, the Red Planet will have its closet encounter with Earth. It will be just 92 million kilometers (57 million miles) away from Earth.
Mars Coming Close to Earth 2014: Watch the Biggest and Brightest Red Planet Live Online [VIDEO]
The planet will shine like butterscotch-color star virtually on Monday night, according to NBC news.
"These opportunities only come about every two years. Most of the time, Mars is pretty far away," said Alan MacRobert, senior editor for Sky & Telescope magazine.
The last time when Mars was close to Earth was in 2007. However, after Monday night, the Red Planet will again make a distance and will come even closer to Earth in 2016.
One can even watch the International Space Station on Monday night. For more updates click here.
"The space station looks like a fast-moving plane in the sky, but it is dozens of times higher than any airplane and traveling thousands of miles an hour faster. It is bright enough that it can even be seen from the middle of a city," NASA reported.
Meanwhile, Slooh will broadcast the event live on YouTube starting at 10 pm EDT/7 PM PDT/ 7.30 am IST (15 April) from Canary Islands.
Slooh host Observatory Director Paul Cox along with astronomer Bob Berman will give live commentary of the event.
Watch the live stream of the celestial phenomena here:
Photo credit: NASA
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
- Taylor Swift's Famous Ex-Boyfriends: From Harry Styles To Joe Jonas [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Pregnant Kate Middleton Reportedly Prohibits Camilla Parker-Bowles From ‘Seeing Her Family’ And Newborn
- Ebola in US: Stock Surge for Pharmaceutical Companies Working on Vaccine
- MH370 Search Update: Was Reported That Experts Claim To Know The Possible Location; Suggest Authorities To Look ‘Further South In The Indian Ocean’
- 2014 Lunar Eclipse: Where To Best View Total Lunar Eclipse Peak On October 8
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy: Duchess Forced By The Queen To Be Out In The Public Again
- 3 Signs Nexus 6, 8 Release Date Nears: Leaked Pics, KitKat Factory Image & Android L Details Emerge
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Available Through O2 For £380, Other Carriers To Follow Soon
- Apple iPhone 6 vs. OnePlus One: With Invitation-Only Model Rested, OnePlus One Can Be A Real Threat To iPhone 6
- ISIS Supporters are Walking Among the Many in the United States – Report
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build
- ISIS Receives Food, Ammunition Due To Mistake Of Iraqi Pilots
- Airstrikes Against ISIS Has Claimed Innocent Lives In Syria, Dubbed ‘Ineffective’ By Jihadi Fighters, US Military To Ask For More Spending Money