IPL 7: Virat Kohli Hopes to Help RCB Claim Maiden Title
By Shruthi SU | April 13, 2014 8:31 PM EST
Ignoring rumours about his personal life, Virat Kohli will don the daring red of Royal Challengers Bangalore four days from now and is raring to go.
Despite always being studded with the greatest cricket stars, RCB have not yet managed to lift the IPL title. Kohli hopes this season will be the end of promises as action takes precedence.
"This time around we will hope to go few more steps ahead and actually get that trophy," Kohli said in the team's jersey launch event. "We have added a few more quality players in the side and I am sure we will come out with flying colours.
"We try every year to win and we have a strong team. We will try to win the trophy because we have got a good combination this time and we will try to utilise it and try to win the trophy."
Kohli has been the recent success story of Indian cricket, and IPL has given him glory in terms of both cricket and glitz. Young players like Kohli have taken to IPL more kindly than the older school of cricketers and experts who often criticize the IPL schedule among other things.
Kohli's mantra of 'play hard, party harder' is simple and much-admired by young India. It's as though he has rubbed on to the Carribean tempo, playing with the likes of Chris Gayle in the IPL. Understandably, Kohli said IPL helps cricketers enjoy and relax in their off season.
"The more we enjoy cricket, it will be that much better in IPL," the 25-year-old said. "In IPL there is a lot of enjoyment for players. Everybody is relaxed coming from international schedule. There is a good atmosphere and we will try to utilise it."
Kohli was named the player of the tournament in the World T20 2014 that India lost to Sri Lanka. Now, he's bent on doing for RCB what he is known for doing for India - pile up runs.
RCB's sponsors this time around is Chinese telecom equipment maker Huawei. "Hopefully this year would be RCB's year," Kohli added. "Maybe this is the lucky logo that we needed for the last few years. Just really excited and looking forward to the IPL as well. We have a great team, great bunch of guys ready to perform well. We do well every year; we excite a lot of people in the IPL."
RCB take on Delhi Daredevils in Sharjah on 17 April.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Has Got Chris Algieri Fight All Figured Out
- New York Knicks Vs. Cleveland Cavaliers Live Streaming Info, Preview And Betting Odds
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Los Angeles Lakers Suffer Second Straight Loss, Phoenix Suns Deal Kobe Bryant Another Blowout Defeat, 119-99
- Female Boxer Dies In South Africa Following Knockout Blow
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- 8 Important Things to Consider Before Buying or Upgrading to iPad Air 2