Boxing News: Pacquiao's Mother Spotted Casting Spells on Tim Bradley; American Hurts Calf During Fight
By Lou Ramon Aguila | April 13, 2014 6:51 PM EST
Manny Pacquiao reclaimed the WBO Welterweight Championship belt with a 12-round unanimous decision victory over Timothy Bradley on Saturday at MGM Grand Garden in Las Vegas, Nevada. In one of the most important fights of his career, the Pacman brought his charismatic mother in the arena, and the rest was history.
Boxer Manny Pacquiao of the Philippines during a news conference in Las Vegas
Dionesia Dapidran Pacquiao, the ever supportive mother of the Pacman, came up with one of the funniest moments during the fight, when the camera spotted her reading a pamphlet and seemingly cursing his son's opponent in the ring.
HBO commentators speculated that Dionesia may have been trying to cast a spell on Bradley, who claimed to have injured his calf in the middle stage of his rematch with the former pound-for-pound king.
"As her son fought Timothy Bradley, Dapridran-Pacquaio was dealing with the stress of a prize fight as best she could. The commentators speculated that she may have been trying to put a hex on Bradley," according to USA Today.
Pacman mother's animated gestures easily launched her as the star of the night, drawing laughter not only from the people in the ringside but as well as millions of boxing fans around the world who viewed the fight via HBO Pay-per-View.
Netizens on social media platforms quickly feasted on the entertaining video of Pacquiao's mother, as she turned into an overnight internet sensation.
Continuing the Journey
Starting from the bottom, Pacquiao climbed his way to the top of the boxing world with his rare combination of speed and power that tormented a number of great warriors inside the squared circle. With a victory over Bradley, the Pacman not only exacted his revenge against the American, but proved he remains a force in boxing.
During the post-fight interview with Larry Merchant of HBO Boxing, Pacquiao said he has two years left as a professional boxer and he looks to end his career on a winning streak. The fight against Floyd Mayweather Jr. obviously remains on top of his wish list, but he could also be figured in a fifth showdown with Juan Manuel Marquez in the later part of 2014.
No matter who will be his next opponent, Pacquiao knows that his mother will be always ready to put some hex on his opponents. Nothing beats mother's intuition, or should I say incantation....
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Boxing Analyst John Scully Says Floyd Mayweather Is Slipping But Manny Pacquiao Won’t Win In Super Fight In 2015
- Freddie Roach Provoking ‘Washed-Up’ Floyd Mayweather Jr., Says Manny Pacquiao Will KO Undefeated American
- Sharapova, Halep, Ivanovic, Wozniacki, Kvitova, Radwanska, Kerber Make Early Commitment To Stuttgart Open
- ‘Floyd Rhymes With Avoid,’ Says Manny Pacquiao
- 2014 Dancing With The Stars Australia: Former AFL Star David Rodan Declared Winner
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments