Boxing News: Pacquiao's Mother Spotted Casting Spells on Tim Bradley; American Hurts Calf During Fight
By Lou Ramon Aguila | April 13, 2014 6:51 PM EST
Manny Pacquiao reclaimed the WBO Welterweight Championship belt with a 12-round unanimous decision victory over Timothy Bradley on Saturday at MGM Grand Garden in Las Vegas, Nevada. In one of the most important fights of his career, the Pacman brought his charismatic mother in the arena, and the rest was history.
Boxer Manny Pacquiao of the Philippines during a news conference in Las Vegas
Dionesia Dapidran Pacquiao, the ever supportive mother of the Pacman, came up with one of the funniest moments during the fight, when the camera spotted her reading a pamphlet and seemingly cursing his son's opponent in the ring.
HBO commentators speculated that Dionesia may have been trying to cast a spell on Bradley, who claimed to have injured his calf in the middle stage of his rematch with the former pound-for-pound king.
"As her son fought Timothy Bradley, Dapridran-Pacquaio was dealing with the stress of a prize fight as best she could. The commentators speculated that she may have been trying to put a hex on Bradley," according to USA Today.
Pacman mother's animated gestures easily launched her as the star of the night, drawing laughter not only from the people in the ringside but as well as millions of boxing fans around the world who viewed the fight via HBO Pay-per-View.
Netizens on social media platforms quickly feasted on the entertaining video of Pacquiao's mother, as she turned into an overnight internet sensation.
Continuing the Journey
Starting from the bottom, Pacquiao climbed his way to the top of the boxing world with his rare combination of speed and power that tormented a number of great warriors inside the squared circle. With a victory over Bradley, the Pacman not only exacted his revenge against the American, but proved he remains a force in boxing.
During the post-fight interview with Larry Merchant of HBO Boxing, Pacquiao said he has two years left as a professional boxer and he looks to end his career on a winning streak. The fight against Floyd Mayweather Jr. obviously remains on top of his wish list, but he could also be figured in a fifth showdown with Juan Manuel Marquez in the later part of 2014.
No matter who will be his next opponent, Pacquiao knows that his mother will be always ready to put some hex on his opponents. Nothing beats mother's intuition, or should I say incantation....
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- MMA News: Transgender Fighter Fallon Fox Challenges Ronda Rousey, Fires Back on ‘Ignorant’ Comments
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Points Out Amir Khan's Poor Boxing Record
- Floyd Mayweather Admits Marcos Maidana’s Power Shot Hurt Him [VIDEO]
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Fight Won't Happen As Long As Bob Arum Is Involved, Says Pacquiao's Former Conditioning Coach
- WWE News: CM Punk Merchandise Pulled From Stands, Punk Chasing Royalties For WWE 2K15 Inclusion [VIDEO]
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Samsung Galaxy S5: Battle of the Samsung Flagship Smartphones
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Apple iPad Air 2, OS X Yosemite Release Date Set For October, While iPad Mini 3 With Retina Headed For 2015 Release
- Purported Xiaomi Redmi Note Successor Powered With Monstrous Processor Under Wraps, Will Take On Meizu MX4
- U.S and Canada Fighter Jets Chase Out Russian Jets Near Alaska: Air Space Violation Not Confirmed