Boxing News: Pacquiao's Mother Spotted Casting Spells on Tim Bradley; American Hurts Calf During Fight
By Lou Ramon Aguila | April 13, 2014 6:51 PM EST
Manny Pacquiao reclaimed the WBO Welterweight Championship belt with a 12-round unanimous decision victory over Timothy Bradley on Saturday at MGM Grand Garden in Las Vegas, Nevada. In one of the most important fights of his career, the Pacman brought his charismatic mother in the arena, and the rest was history.
Boxer Manny Pacquiao of the Philippines during a news conference in Las Vegas
Dionesia Dapidran Pacquiao, the ever supportive mother of the Pacman, came up with one of the funniest moments during the fight, when the camera spotted her reading a pamphlet and seemingly cursing his son's opponent in the ring.
HBO commentators speculated that Dionesia may have been trying to cast a spell on Bradley, who claimed to have injured his calf in the middle stage of his rematch with the former pound-for-pound king.
"As her son fought Timothy Bradley, Dapridran-Pacquaio was dealing with the stress of a prize fight as best she could. The commentators speculated that she may have been trying to put a hex on Bradley," according to USA Today.
Pacman mother's animated gestures easily launched her as the star of the night, drawing laughter not only from the people in the ringside but as well as millions of boxing fans around the world who viewed the fight via HBO Pay-per-View.
Netizens on social media platforms quickly feasted on the entertaining video of Pacquiao's mother, as she turned into an overnight internet sensation.
Continuing the Journey
Starting from the bottom, Pacquiao climbed his way to the top of the boxing world with his rare combination of speed and power that tormented a number of great warriors inside the squared circle. With a victory over Bradley, the Pacman not only exacted his revenge against the American, but proved he remains a force in boxing.
During the post-fight interview with Larry Merchant of HBO Boxing, Pacquiao said he has two years left as a professional boxer and he looks to end his career on a winning streak. The fight against Floyd Mayweather Jr. obviously remains on top of his wish list, but he could also be figured in a fifth showdown with Juan Manuel Marquez in the later part of 2014.
No matter who will be his next opponent, Pacquiao knows that his mother will be always ready to put some hex on his opponents. Nothing beats mother's intuition, or should I say incantation....
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
- Taylor Swift's Famous Ex-Boyfriends: From Harry Styles To Joe Jonas [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Wants To Talk To Manny Pacquiao About Super Fight If Filipino Beats Chris Algieri
- WWE Update: Bray Wyatt’s Twitter Post Hints Upcoming Fight With Sting [VIDEO]
- Manchester United News: Angel Di Maria’s Exit And Hummels’ Future Move
- Video Of Floyd Mayweather Having An Altercation With A Random Woman, Who Had No Idea Who He Is, Goes Viral
- 2014/15 NBA Season Preview And Predictions: Los Angeles Lakers; Jeremy Lin's Breakout Campaign
- 3 Signs Nexus 6, 8 Release Date Nears: Leaked Pics, KitKat Factory Image & Android L Details Emerge
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Available Through O2 For £380, Other Carriers To Follow Soon
- Apple iPhone 6 vs. OnePlus One: With Invitation-Only Model Rested, OnePlus One Can Be A Real Threat To iPhone 6
- ISIS Supporters are Walking Among the Many in the United States – Report
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build
- ISIS Receives Food, Ammunition Due To Mistake Of Iraqi Pilots
- Airstrikes Against ISIS Has Claimed Innocent Lives In Syria, Dubbed ‘Ineffective’ By Jihadi Fighters, US Military To Ask For More Spending Money