Boxing News: Pacquiao's Mother Spotted Casting Spells on Tim Bradley; American Hurts Calf During Fight
By Lou Ramon Aguila | April 13, 2014 6:51 PM EST
Manny Pacquiao reclaimed the WBO Welterweight Championship belt with a 12-round unanimous decision victory over Timothy Bradley on Saturday at MGM Grand Garden in Las Vegas, Nevada. In one of the most important fights of his career, the Pacman brought his charismatic mother in the arena, and the rest was history.
Boxer Manny Pacquiao of the Philippines during a news conference in Las Vegas
Dionesia Dapidran Pacquiao, the ever supportive mother of the Pacman, came up with one of the funniest moments during the fight, when the camera spotted her reading a pamphlet and seemingly cursing his son's opponent in the ring.
HBO commentators speculated that Dionesia may have been trying to cast a spell on Bradley, who claimed to have injured his calf in the middle stage of his rematch with the former pound-for-pound king.
"As her son fought Timothy Bradley, Dapridran-Pacquaio was dealing with the stress of a prize fight as best she could. The commentators speculated that she may have been trying to put a hex on Bradley," according to USA Today.
Pacman mother's animated gestures easily launched her as the star of the night, drawing laughter not only from the people in the ringside but as well as millions of boxing fans around the world who viewed the fight via HBO Pay-per-View.
Netizens on social media platforms quickly feasted on the entertaining video of Pacquiao's mother, as she turned into an overnight internet sensation.
Continuing the Journey
Starting from the bottom, Pacquiao climbed his way to the top of the boxing world with his rare combination of speed and power that tormented a number of great warriors inside the squared circle. With a victory over Bradley, the Pacman not only exacted his revenge against the American, but proved he remains a force in boxing.
During the post-fight interview with Larry Merchant of HBO Boxing, Pacquiao said he has two years left as a professional boxer and he looks to end his career on a winning streak. The fight against Floyd Mayweather Jr. obviously remains on top of his wish list, but he could also be figured in a fifth showdown with Juan Manuel Marquez in the later part of 2014.
No matter who will be his next opponent, Pacquiao knows that his mother will be always ready to put some hex on his opponents. Nothing beats mother's intuition, or should I say incantation....
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal Blows Out Novak Djokovic as Top Contender For US Open Series – Tennis TV Poll
- Roger Federer Brings Danger To Novak Djokovic, Rafael Nadal at US Open
- Rugby Sevens Semis & Finals Live Stream, Schedule & Results – Commonwealth Games 2014
- Serena Williams Makes History; Among Most Dominant World's No.1 in History
- A Beautiful Distraction: 5 Things You Need to Know About Sabina Altynbekova
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Nexus 5 and Nexus 7 Android 5.0 L Material Design Coming with More Interface Changes
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- Samsung Galaxy S4 LTE-A Android 4.4.2 KitKat Update Rolls Out: When to Hit Your Region
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- OnePlus One Android 4.4.4 KitKat and Android L Update Guide