Lok Sabha Elections 2014: Modi to Meet Superstar Rajinikanth
By Rama Mohan | April 13, 2014 6:29 PM EST
Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi has been scheduled to meet popular actor Rajinikanth in Chennai on 13 April. The meeting is supposed to take place before the 5pm election rally in the city.
Narendra Modi, prime ministerial candidate for the main opposition Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) and Gujarat's chief minister, addresses his supporters during a rally in Amroha in Uttar Pradesh ( A file photo)
The BJP is hoping to improve further its position in South India in general, and Tamil Nadu in particular, as it has already aligned with six regional parties in the state in this Lok Sabha election. BJP has only a marginal base in TN and it is now pulling out all stops to expand further in the state. The party has already got into a pre-election alliance with N Chandrababu Naidu-led Telugu Desam Party (TDP) in Andhra Pradesh.
Two popular Telugu actors - Akkineni Nagarjuna and Pawan Kalyan - have publicly expressed their support to Modi being the next Prime Minister of India. BJP, which formed its first state government in Karnataka in 2008 under Chief Minister BS Yeddyurappa, is striving a lot to spread itself further in the south Indian states.
According to BJP's national general secretary P Muralidhar Rao, Modi is likely to meet Rajinikanth before the election rally and the high profile meeting has been dubbed as "personal". The Modi-Rajini meeting is expected to have an impact on the position of the BJP-headed National Democratic Alliance (NDA) in Tamil Nadu. In March 2011, DMK's MK Stalin, the then-Deputy Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu, met Rajinikanth, seeking support for his party in the state Assembly election.
Rajinikanth has a huge fan following in Tamil Nadu and other South states. Though Rajinikanth has dodged a straight entry into politics, it is said that his fans have been pressing him to enter politics and launch his own party like the late NT Rama Rao. The Tamil superstar only dabbled with politicians in south India, than launching his own party or joining any other party. Rajinikath has told his fans several times that only movie excites him as a career, not politics.
Rajini's films have done well in recent years. The latest film from Rajinikanth set to be released soon is "Kochadaiiyaan". It is the actor's daughter Soundarya's directorial debut.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Israel''s Al Aqsa and East Jerusalem Issues Threatening Its Multi Billion Gas Deal With Jordan
- Canada's Ontario Students Score High Rank In Global Survey Of Computer Skills
- New Zealand Medicine Products Sector To Get Own Regulator::Drops Plan For A Joint Regulator With Australia
- New Zealand Assured China-Australia Deal Will Not Affect Demand
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues
- HTC One M8 Android 5.0 Lollipop Release Delayed: Other Schedule and Installation Guide