Boxing News 2014: Will Manny Pacquiao Heed Wife’s Plea to Retire from Boxing Despite Bradley Win?
By Vittorio Hernandez | April 13, 2014 4:38 PM EST
Eight-division title holder Manny Pacquiao, who just regained his WBO welterweight title from Timothy Bradley on Saturday, April 12, and the boxing world's admiration for his comeback, has a woman for his next foe.
Manny Pacquiao of the Philippines celebrates his victory over Brandon Rios of the U.S. during their World Boxing Organisation (WBO) International 12-round welterweight boxing title fight at the Venetian Macao hotel in Macau November 24, 2013. Pacquiao registered a decisive, unanimous decision win against American Rios to clinch the vacant WBO International welterweight title on Sunday. REUTERS/Tyrone Siu
No, it is not Kim Henares, the commissioner of the Philippine Bureau of Internal Revenue, who is running after Pacquiao's $20 million guaranteed purse due to an alleged P2.2 billion tax deficiency.
The unexpected challenge came from Pacquiao's pregnant wife who is due to give birth to their fifth child this month, Jinkee. Mrs Pacquiao, also the vice governor of Saranggani Province, pleased for her husband to hang up his boxing gloves for good just minutes after he won a unanimous decision against Bradley.
"You have proven to the world your ability, he can now let go of boxing," Jinkee said in Pilipino, quoted by ABS-CBN. Mrs Pacquiao asked her 35-year-old husband, "How much money do you want to amass if you would be kept away from your family?"
Jinkee was probably concerned that with the birth of their fifth child, Manny would have less time for their growing brood if he has to fight more on the ring, in addition to his duties as congressman of the province. Some, though, may think Jinkee was referring to Manny's past love affairs with Filipina starlets which almost caused the couple to divorce.
But all marital issues is water under the bridge now since the Pacquiaos renewed their Christian faith, reads the Bible daily, attends prayer meeting and proclaims the Gospel whenever they have the opportunity. Pacquiao also openly prays before the start of his match as he did again on Saturday.
For his part, Pacquiao could possibly be thinking of the need to raise more money since the taxwoman is after his purse, bank account and other assets. And with five kids to take care of, plus so many relatives he is supporting, he likely wants to assure there is enough left after he has settled his tax problems with the Philippines government.
Pressure from Jinkee and Pacquiao's mother, Dionesia, has been strong for Manny to quit boxing for good since he lost to Bradley in June 2012. But with his fresh victory from the Desert Storm, it would be a tough balancing decision for the Pacman to please his family or the boxing world which is surely clamouring for more blood following the recent slugfest he showed against Bradley who suffered his first professional loss in the hands of the Filipino champion.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Boxing Analyst John Scully Says Floyd Mayweather Is Slipping But Manny Pacquiao Won’t Win In Super Fight In 2015
- Freddie Roach Provoking ‘Washed-Up’ Floyd Mayweather Jr., Says Manny Pacquiao Will KO Undefeated American
- Sharapova, Halep, Ivanovic, Wozniacki, Kvitova, Radwanska, Kerber Make Early Commitment To Stuttgart Open
- 2014 Dancing With The Stars Australia: Former AFL Star David Rodan Declared Winner
- ‘Floyd Rhymes With Avoid,’ Says Manny Pacquiao
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys