Boxing News 2014: Will Manny Pacquiao Heed Wife’s Plea to Retire from Boxing Despite Bradley Win?
By Vittorio Hernandez | April 13, 2014 4:38 PM EST
Eight-division title holder Manny Pacquiao, who just regained his WBO welterweight title from Timothy Bradley on Saturday, April 12, and the boxing world's admiration for his comeback, has a woman for his next foe.
Manny Pacquiao of the Philippines celebrates his victory over Brandon Rios of the U.S. during their World Boxing Organisation (WBO) International 12-round welterweight boxing title fight at the Venetian Macao hotel in Macau November 24, 2013. Pacquiao registered a decisive, unanimous decision win against American Rios to clinch the vacant WBO International welterweight title on Sunday. REUTERS/Tyrone Siu
No, it is not Kim Henares, the commissioner of the Philippine Bureau of Internal Revenue, who is running after Pacquiao's $20 million guaranteed purse due to an alleged P2.2 billion tax deficiency.
The unexpected challenge came from Pacquiao's pregnant wife who is due to give birth to their fifth child this month, Jinkee. Mrs Pacquiao, also the vice governor of Saranggani Province, pleased for her husband to hang up his boxing gloves for good just minutes after he won a unanimous decision against Bradley.
"You have proven to the world your ability, he can now let go of boxing," Jinkee said in Pilipino, quoted by ABS-CBN. Mrs Pacquiao asked her 35-year-old husband, "How much money do you want to amass if you would be kept away from your family?"
Jinkee was probably concerned that with the birth of their fifth child, Manny would have less time for their growing brood if he has to fight more on the ring, in addition to his duties as congressman of the province. Some, though, may think Jinkee was referring to Manny's past love affairs with Filipina starlets which almost caused the couple to divorce.
But all marital issues is water under the bridge now since the Pacquiaos renewed their Christian faith, reads the Bible daily, attends prayer meeting and proclaims the Gospel whenever they have the opportunity. Pacquiao also openly prays before the start of his match as he did again on Saturday.
For his part, Pacquiao could possibly be thinking of the need to raise more money since the taxwoman is after his purse, bank account and other assets. And with five kids to take care of, plus so many relatives he is supporting, he likely wants to assure there is enough left after he has settled his tax problems with the Philippines government.
Pressure from Jinkee and Pacquiao's mother, Dionesia, has been strong for Manny to quit boxing for good since he lost to Bradley in June 2012. But with his fresh victory from the Desert Storm, it would be a tough balancing decision for the Pacman to please his family or the boxing world which is surely clamouring for more blood following the recent slugfest he showed against Bradley who suffered his first professional loss in the hands of the Filipino champion.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- Rafael Nadal’s Coach Reveals The Spanish Athlete Will Be Back On Court Soon
- Boxing News 2014: Showtime VP Favours Pacquiao As Mayweather’s Next Ring Opponent; Money May Insists Fight Should Be Over Showtime PPV Only
- Three Reasons Why Brock Lesnar Must Fight The Undertaker At Night Of Champions And Not John Cena [VIDEO]
- Michael Schumacher Rehabilitation Update: F1 Champion In-Home Health Care And Services Consist Of 15 Medical Staff
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Canadian IS Jihadist Who Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers