Chelsea FC Transfer News: Loaned Blues Striker will Become an Evertonian, Believes Toffees Boss
By Mark Wayne Eubank | April 13, 2014 1:56 AM EST
Everton boss Roberto Martinez believes that loaned out Chelsea striker Romelu Lukaku will be a permanent member of the Toffees squad next season.
“I think there is something we can give that he can't get elsewhere, it's enjoying his football.” - Roberto Martinez on Romelu Lukaku
The Belgium international expected to play for the Blues this season after an impressive temporary spell at West Brom during the 2012/13 campaign, but Jose Mourinho decided to send him to the Merseyside outfit as the Portuguese mentor did not envision the youngster to be a part of his plans.
The 20-year-old proved that he belonged in the Premier League, tallying a total of 17 goals and 7 assists during his stint with the Baggies, while helping Everton to secure a top-four finish this year, finding the net 13 times and turning provider 8 times.
With an unsure spot at west London, Martinez is confident that Lukaku will choose to remain at Goodison Park because of a key ingredient: "happiness."
"I think there is something we can give that he can't get elsewhere, it's enjoying his football," said Martinez.
"In football, as a player, you can take football happiness for granted quickly. As a young man, to be important in a football club and being happy is vital."
"Nobody can guarantee you that unless you've experienced it, or know who you are going to work with."
"He wants to be presented with a challenge that he can enjoy and he can develop, and that's top and bottom as a player."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Will Probably Pick Between Amir Khan Or Manny Pacquiao For Next Fight According to Uncle Jeff
- Tony Stewart Reveals Retirement Not In Options, Reflects On His Life After the Fatal Crash
- Sugar Ray Leonard Adds Fuel To Pacquiao-Mayweather Clamour
- Rafael Nadal Gives Li Na Flowers, A Teary Farewell At Beijing China Open
- Muslim NFL Player Husain Abdullah Penalised For Praying After Touchdown
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build