Chelsea FC Transfer News: Loaned Blues Striker will Become an Evertonian, Believes Toffees Boss
By Mark Wayne Eubank | April 13, 2014 1:56 AM EST
Everton boss Roberto Martinez believes that loaned out Chelsea striker Romelu Lukaku will be a permanent member of the Toffees squad next season.
“I think there is something we can give that he can't get elsewhere, it's enjoying his football.” - Roberto Martinez on Romelu Lukaku
The Belgium international expected to play for the Blues this season after an impressive temporary spell at West Brom during the 2012/13 campaign, but Jose Mourinho decided to send him to the Merseyside outfit as the Portuguese mentor did not envision the youngster to be a part of his plans.
The 20-year-old proved that he belonged in the Premier League, tallying a total of 17 goals and 7 assists during his stint with the Baggies, while helping Everton to secure a top-four finish this year, finding the net 13 times and turning provider 8 times.
With an unsure spot at west London, Martinez is confident that Lukaku will choose to remain at Goodison Park because of a key ingredient: "happiness."
"I think there is something we can give that he can't get elsewhere, it's enjoying his football," said Martinez.
"In football, as a player, you can take football happiness for granted quickly. As a young man, to be important in a football club and being happy is vital."
"Nobody can guarantee you that unless you've experienced it, or know who you are going to work with."
"He wants to be presented with a challenge that he can enjoy and he can develop, and that's top and bottom as a player."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri Betting Odds: American Knockout Of Filipino Pays $10,000 From A $100 Bet
- Dionesian ‘Hex’: Pacquiao’s Secret Weapon Behind His 8 Titles
- Brooklyn Nets Agree to Grant Andrei Kirilenko Indefinite Leave of Absence
- Freddie Roach Asks Manny Pacquiao Not To Beat Up Algieri Too Badly So Mayweather Will Not Be Scared And Agree To Super Fight
- Chelsea FC Injury Update: Diego Costa Fully Fit Ahead Of West Brom Clash, Says Mourinho