Chelsea FC Transfer News: Loaned Blues Striker will Become an Evertonian, Believes Toffees Boss
By Mark Wayne Eubank | April 13, 2014 1:56 AM EST
Everton boss Roberto Martinez believes that loaned out Chelsea striker Romelu Lukaku will be a permanent member of the Toffees squad next season.
“I think there is something we can give that he can't get elsewhere, it's enjoying his football.” - Roberto Martinez on Romelu Lukaku
The Belgium international expected to play for the Blues this season after an impressive temporary spell at West Brom during the 2012/13 campaign, but Jose Mourinho decided to send him to the Merseyside outfit as the Portuguese mentor did not envision the youngster to be a part of his plans.
The 20-year-old proved that he belonged in the Premier League, tallying a total of 17 goals and 7 assists during his stint with the Baggies, while helping Everton to secure a top-four finish this year, finding the net 13 times and turning provider 8 times.
With an unsure spot at west London, Martinez is confident that Lukaku will choose to remain at Goodison Park because of a key ingredient: "happiness."
"I think there is something we can give that he can't get elsewhere, it's enjoying his football," said Martinez.
"In football, as a player, you can take football happiness for granted quickly. As a young man, to be important in a football club and being happy is vital."
"Nobody can guarantee you that unless you've experienced it, or know who you are going to work with."
"He wants to be presented with a challenge that he can enjoy and he can develop, and that's top and bottom as a player."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton First Official Solo Trip: Details For Malta Tour Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin Happy Houston Rockets Sent Him To LA Lakers
- Jeremy Lin's Trade To Los Angeles Lakers Is An Opportunity To Reinvent His Brand
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Group B Preview, Schedule and Key Players: Argentina, Greece, Croatia Favourites To Top Opening Round
- American Heavyweight Boxer Amir Mansour Says It’s Disrespectful For 50 Cent To Take Jabs At Floyd Mayweather On Social Media
- Floyd Mayweather Proves He Can Read, Releases An Audio Of Him Reading
- Apple on iPhone 6 Release Date One Week After September 9 Despite Display Shortage Starting $800
- James Foley Video Had A Change Of Actor – Expert Points Out
- Canada Concerned About Russia’s Military Expansion in Arctic
- Why Moto X is Not the Best Smartphone to Purchase Now?
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- Nokia X2 vs. Nokia Lumia 530 - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown