Chelsea FC Transfer News: Loaned Blues Striker will Become an Evertonian, Believes Toffees Boss
By Mark Wayne Eubank | April 13, 2014 1:56 AM EST
Everton boss Roberto Martinez believes that loaned out Chelsea striker Romelu Lukaku will be a permanent member of the Toffees squad next season.
“I think there is something we can give that he can't get elsewhere, it's enjoying his football.” - Roberto Martinez on Romelu Lukaku
The Belgium international expected to play for the Blues this season after an impressive temporary spell at West Brom during the 2012/13 campaign, but Jose Mourinho decided to send him to the Merseyside outfit as the Portuguese mentor did not envision the youngster to be a part of his plans.
The 20-year-old proved that he belonged in the Premier League, tallying a total of 17 goals and 7 assists during his stint with the Baggies, while helping Everton to secure a top-four finish this year, finding the net 13 times and turning provider 8 times.
With an unsure spot at west London, Martinez is confident that Lukaku will choose to remain at Goodison Park because of a key ingredient: "happiness."
"I think there is something we can give that he can't get elsewhere, it's enjoying his football," said Martinez.
"In football, as a player, you can take football happiness for granted quickly. As a young man, to be important in a football club and being happy is vital."
"Nobody can guarantee you that unless you've experienced it, or know who you are going to work with."
"He wants to be presented with a challenge that he can enjoy and he can develop, and that's top and bottom as a player."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Amir Khan Says Algieri Doesn’t Have What It Takes To Beat Pacquiao; Khan Reportedly A Top Contender For Mayweather Jr.’s Next Fight Says Mayweather Sr
- WWE Night of Champions Live Streaming Info, Preview and Predictions
- Boxing News 2014: Nevada Commission Summons Mayweather Over Reports Of Marijuana Use In Mansion & No Rest Breaks In Gym
- Floyd Mayweather Admits Marcos Maidana’s Power Shot Hurt Him [VIDEO]
- Khloe Kardashian Reportedly Having A Hard Time Deciding Whether Or Not To Patch Things Up With Lamar Odom
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues
- G20 Summit in Nov: No Consensus to Bar Russia, Putin Open to Attend in Australia