Chelsea FC News: Blues Furious at Atletico President for Manipulating UEFA Decision Involving Loanee Goalkeeper, Considers Remedial Action
By Mark Wayne Eubank | April 13, 2014 12:14 AM EST
The Chelsea hierarchy is reported to be furious at Atletico Madrid president Enrique Cerezo as they believe that the latter manipulated the recent UEFA decision involving loanee goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois.
Chelsea hierarchy believed to be furious at Atletico Madrid president Enrique Cerezo for manipulating the UEFA decision allowing Thibaut Courtois to play in the semis
Europe's governing body in club football issued a statement, before the Champions League semi-final draw in Nyon, indicating that the Belgian will be allowed to play both legs against the Blues in spite of the fact that the parties to the loan agreed otherwise.
"The integrity of sporting competition is a fundamental principle for UEFA. Both the UEFA Champions League and the UEFA disciplinary regulations contain clear provisions which strictly forbid any club to exert, or attempt to exert, any influence whatsoever over the players that another club may (or may not) field in a match," the organization posted on their Website.
"It follows that any provision in a private contract between clubs which might function in such a way as to influence who a club fields in a match is null, void and unenforceable so far as UEFA is concerned."
Chelsea CEO Ron Gourlay said that the west London outfit will abide by the aforementioned ruling, but also hinted on considering remedial actions.
"The loan was arranged back at the start of the season and we will evaluate UEFA's statement," said Gourlay.
"As far as the player is concerned, Thibaut, he can play against Chelsea, in both ties, if he is selected by the Atletico Madrid manager. That is fact."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ESPN Anchor Skip Bayless Says Floyd Mayweather Jr Will Not Fight Manny Pacquiao Because Undefeated Fighter Is ‘Afraid To Lose’
- Amir Khan Addresses Roach’s Comments That Pacquiao Used To Knock Out The Bolton-Born Boxer During Sparring Sessions
- Chelsea FC: Jose Mourinho Hits Back At Sergio Ramos For Questioning Costa And Fabregas Absence From NT, Says 'He is Not A Doctor'
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Liverpool FC: Brendan Rodgers Accedes That His Days As Reds Boss Could Be Numbered
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Black Friday Sale 2014 Deals From Amazon On Smartphones, TVs, Headsets And More
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James