Chelsea FC News: Blues Furious at Atletico President for Manipulating UEFA Decision Involving Loanee Goalkeeper, Considers Remedial Action
By Mark Wayne Eubank | April 13, 2014 12:14 AM EST
The Chelsea hierarchy is reported to be furious at Atletico Madrid president Enrique Cerezo as they believe that the latter manipulated the recent UEFA decision involving loanee goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois.
Chelsea hierarchy believed to be furious at Atletico Madrid president Enrique Cerezo for manipulating the UEFA decision allowing Thibaut Courtois to play in the semis
Europe's governing body in club football issued a statement, before the Champions League semi-final draw in Nyon, indicating that the Belgian will be allowed to play both legs against the Blues in spite of the fact that the parties to the loan agreed otherwise.
"The integrity of sporting competition is a fundamental principle for UEFA. Both the UEFA Champions League and the UEFA disciplinary regulations contain clear provisions which strictly forbid any club to exert, or attempt to exert, any influence whatsoever over the players that another club may (or may not) field in a match," the organization posted on their Website.
"It follows that any provision in a private contract between clubs which might function in such a way as to influence who a club fields in a match is null, void and unenforceable so far as UEFA is concerned."
Chelsea CEO Ron Gourlay said that the west London outfit will abide by the aforementioned ruling, but also hinted on considering remedial actions.
"The loan was arranged back at the start of the season and we will evaluate UEFA's statement," said Gourlay.
"As far as the player is concerned, Thibaut, he can play against Chelsea, in both ties, if he is selected by the Atletico Madrid manager. That is fact."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Celebrities Suffering From Lupus: Facts About the Disease
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin, Chandler Parsons React To 'Role Players' Label By James Harden
- 2014 Commonwealth Games Medal Tally: Games are Through Day 5 and Australia Continues to Dominate Count; Day 5 Highlights
- Roger Federer Not That Good If Different Surfaces Were To Exist – Giles Simon
- Dan Bilzerian Opens Up to Howard Stern, Poker Pro Admits He Once Had Sex with 16 Women in 12 Days
- Ana Ivanovic Posts a Hot Selfie on Instagram after her San Francisco Photo-Shoot
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona, Man Utd to Compete for Juan Cuadrado's Signature as Fiorentina Reveal Willingness to Sell
- Hilary Duff's New Music Video Chasing the Sun Goes Viral on YouTube [WATCH VIDEO]
- LeBron James to Return to Miami, Face Heat on Christmas Day 2014
- Shanghai Stock Exchange Will Not Extend Trading Hours
- Qatar's Surging Real Estate Prices Won't Affect Thriving Economy – Report