Chelsea FC News: Blues Furious at Atletico President for Manipulating UEFA Decision Involving Loanee Goalkeeper, Considers Remedial Action
By Mark Wayne Eubank | April 13, 2014 12:14 AM EST
The Chelsea hierarchy is reported to be furious at Atletico Madrid president Enrique Cerezo as they believe that the latter manipulated the recent UEFA decision involving loanee goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois.
Chelsea hierarchy believed to be furious at Atletico Madrid president Enrique Cerezo for manipulating the UEFA decision allowing Thibaut Courtois to play in the semis
Europe's governing body in club football issued a statement, before the Champions League semi-final draw in Nyon, indicating that the Belgian will be allowed to play both legs against the Blues in spite of the fact that the parties to the loan agreed otherwise.
"The integrity of sporting competition is a fundamental principle for UEFA. Both the UEFA Champions League and the UEFA disciplinary regulations contain clear provisions which strictly forbid any club to exert, or attempt to exert, any influence whatsoever over the players that another club may (or may not) field in a match," the organization posted on their Website.
"It follows that any provision in a private contract between clubs which might function in such a way as to influence who a club fields in a match is null, void and unenforceable so far as UEFA is concerned."
Chelsea CEO Ron Gourlay said that the west London outfit will abide by the aforementioned ruling, but also hinted on considering remedial actions.
"The loan was arranged back at the start of the season and we will evaluate UEFA's statement," said Gourlay.
"As far as the player is concerned, Thibaut, he can play against Chelsea, in both ties, if he is selected by the Atletico Madrid manager. That is fact."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- ESPN Anchor Skip Bayless Says Floyd Mayweather Jr Will Not Fight Manny Pacquiao Because Undefeated Fighter Is ‘Afraid To Lose’
- Dionesian ‘Hex’: Pacquiao’s Secret Weapon Behind His 8 Titles
- Chris Algieri Exposed, Criticised For Lack Of Desire To Win Against Manny Pacquiao
- Arum Says Pacquiao's Victory vs Algieri May Cause Mayweather To Say ‘No’ To Dream Match
- Boxing News: Manny Pacquiao 'Ready' To Fight Floyd Mayweather In 2015 Following Algieri Win
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change
- Best Black Friday 2014 Deals From Amazon On Smartphones, TVs, Headsets And More