Chelsea FC News: Blues Furious at Atletico President for Manipulating UEFA Decision Involving Loanee Goalkeeper, Considers Remedial Action
By Mark Wayne Eubank | April 13, 2014 12:14 AM EST
The Chelsea hierarchy is reported to be furious at Atletico Madrid president Enrique Cerezo as they believe that the latter manipulated the recent UEFA decision involving loanee goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois.
Chelsea hierarchy believed to be furious at Atletico Madrid president Enrique Cerezo for manipulating the UEFA decision allowing Thibaut Courtois to play in the semis
Europe's governing body in club football issued a statement, before the Champions League semi-final draw in Nyon, indicating that the Belgian will be allowed to play both legs against the Blues in spite of the fact that the parties to the loan agreed otherwise.
"The integrity of sporting competition is a fundamental principle for UEFA. Both the UEFA Champions League and the UEFA disciplinary regulations contain clear provisions which strictly forbid any club to exert, or attempt to exert, any influence whatsoever over the players that another club may (or may not) field in a match," the organization posted on their Website.
"It follows that any provision in a private contract between clubs which might function in such a way as to influence who a club fields in a match is null, void and unenforceable so far as UEFA is concerned."
Chelsea CEO Ron Gourlay said that the west London outfit will abide by the aforementioned ruling, but also hinted on considering remedial actions.
"The loan was arranged back at the start of the season and we will evaluate UEFA's statement," said Gourlay.
"As far as the player is concerned, Thibaut, he can play against Chelsea, in both ties, if he is selected by the Atletico Madrid manager. That is fact."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Driver's Mother Says People 'Shirking Responsibility' About The Accident
- Novak Djokovic Aims For World No. 1 Rank In 2015, Becker Says
- Roger Federer Starts Practicing On Clay For The Davis Cup Final
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch