Chelsea FC News: Blues Furious at Atletico President for Manipulating UEFA Decision Involving Loanee Goalkeeper, Considers Remedial Action
By Mark Wayne Eubank | April 13, 2014 12:14 AM EST
The Chelsea hierarchy is reported to be furious at Atletico Madrid president Enrique Cerezo as they believe that the latter manipulated the recent UEFA decision involving loanee goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois.
Chelsea hierarchy believed to be furious at Atletico Madrid president Enrique Cerezo for manipulating the UEFA decision allowing Thibaut Courtois to play in the semis
Europe's governing body in club football issued a statement, before the Champions League semi-final draw in Nyon, indicating that the Belgian will be allowed to play both legs against the Blues in spite of the fact that the parties to the loan agreed otherwise.
"The integrity of sporting competition is a fundamental principle for UEFA. Both the UEFA Champions League and the UEFA disciplinary regulations contain clear provisions which strictly forbid any club to exert, or attempt to exert, any influence whatsoever over the players that another club may (or may not) field in a match," the organization posted on their Website.
"It follows that any provision in a private contract between clubs which might function in such a way as to influence who a club fields in a match is null, void and unenforceable so far as UEFA is concerned."
Chelsea CEO Ron Gourlay said that the west London outfit will abide by the aforementioned ruling, but also hinted on considering remedial actions.
"The loan was arranged back at the start of the season and we will evaluate UEFA's statement," said Gourlay.
"As far as the player is concerned, Thibaut, he can play against Chelsea, in both ties, if he is selected by the Atletico Madrid manager. That is fact."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Has Got Chris Algieri Fight All Figured Out
- New York Knicks Vs. Cleveland Cavaliers Live Streaming Info, Preview And Betting Odds
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Los Angeles Lakers Suffer Second Straight Loss, Phoenix Suns Deal Kobe Bryant Another Blowout Defeat, 119-99
- Female Boxer Dies In South Africa Following Knockout Blow
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery
- 8 Important Things to Consider Before Buying or Upgrading to iPad Air 2
- Canada’s Official ISIS Mission Starts On Weekend; Kuwait Uneasy