India, China and Russia Account for Huge Cancer Deaths Worldwide: Study
By Parismita Goswami | April 12, 2014 6:02 PM EST
China, India, and Russia that account for around 40 percent of the world's population, experience 46 percent of cancer worldwide. These countries also account for 52 percent of cancer deaths globally, according to a new research paper published in the Lancet journal.
India, China and Russia Accounts for Huge Cancer Deaths Worldwide: Study (Reuters)
In India, about 10 lakh people are diagnosed with cancer every year, out of which six to seven lakh face death. By 2035, these numbers are feared to increase by almost 12 lakh deaths per year.
India requires more number of cancer specialists, hospitals and cash flow for cancer research in order to change India's cancer graph, according to the paper.
"It's worrying that between 60% and 70% of our patients die earlier mainly because they seek treatment only after their disease has reached an advanced stage,'' said Dr. C.S. Pramesh from Tata Memorial Hospital, who is one of the authors.
"The worst aspect of India's cancer picture is poor life expectancy. Over 60% of cancer patients in the US enjoy an over five-year survival rate, but the corresponding figure for India is 30%," he added.
Though the incidence of cancer is relatively low in India compared to that in the US or Western Europe, the rate of death incidences is similar to these countries.
"India is a demographically young country. Even though rates of cancer are lower than in high-income countries, the absolute numbers still make this a massive public health burden, and in the next 20 to 30 years India will rapidly 'age' and catch up with the rates in other countries." TOI quoted Dr Richard from King's College and the lead author of the publication.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Scientists Make Astonishing Discovery Of An Invisible Shield Protecting Earth From Devastation--Report
- "Secret Space Programme": UFO Conspiracy Theorists Believe That NASA Is In Constant Touch With Aliens
- 'Meatspace': Lamb Chop Sent Into Space Returns To Earth [Watch Video]
- Dinosaur Discovery 2014: New Dinosaur Species Found Inside A Canadian Museum
- Australians Could Expect To See 30-40 Meteors An Hour During Geminid Shower On Dec 13-14
- Revealed: Vladimir Putin Plotting To Invade Europe – Report
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast