India, China and Russia Account for Huge Cancer Deaths Worldwide: Study
By Parismita Goswami | April 12, 2014 6:02 PM EST
China, India, and Russia that account for around 40 percent of the world's population, experience 46 percent of cancer worldwide. These countries also account for 52 percent of cancer deaths globally, according to a new research paper published in the Lancet journal.
India, China and Russia Accounts for Huge Cancer Deaths Worldwide: Study (Reuters)
In India, about 10 lakh people are diagnosed with cancer every year, out of which six to seven lakh face death. By 2035, these numbers are feared to increase by almost 12 lakh deaths per year.
India requires more number of cancer specialists, hospitals and cash flow for cancer research in order to change India's cancer graph, according to the paper.
"It's worrying that between 60% and 70% of our patients die earlier mainly because they seek treatment only after their disease has reached an advanced stage,'' said Dr. C.S. Pramesh from Tata Memorial Hospital, who is one of the authors.
"The worst aspect of India's cancer picture is poor life expectancy. Over 60% of cancer patients in the US enjoy an over five-year survival rate, but the corresponding figure for India is 30%," he added.
Though the incidence of cancer is relatively low in India compared to that in the US or Western Europe, the rate of death incidences is similar to these countries.
"India is a demographically young country. Even though rates of cancer are lower than in high-income countries, the absolute numbers still make this a massive public health burden, and in the next 20 to 30 years India will rapidly 'age' and catch up with the rates in other countries." TOI quoted Dr Richard from King's College and the lead author of the publication.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Volcano Eruption In Iceland: Lava Erupts More Than 50 Meters High, Prompts Aviation Alert [Video]
- UFO Sighting in Australia: A Mysterious 'Flying' Object With Changing Colors Observed[Watch Video]
- Bad Memories Can be Changed into Good Ones, Say Scientists
- Walking Fish Reveal How Our Ancestors Evolved Onto Land (Watch Video)
- Stargazing: Saturn, Moon and Mars Meet Up Last August 31
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen