MH370: U.S. Refutes Claims Plane Lands in Diego Garcia; Aussie PM Confident Detected Signals From Black Box
By Rachelle Corpuz | April 12, 2014 5:41 PM EST
The U.S. has vehemently refuted new claims that the missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 landed in Diego Garcia, an island situated south of the equator of the Central Indian Ocean.
After the Flight MH370's disappearance on March 8, there were increasing difficulties in searching for the jetliner. Several theories and speculations surfaced. One of the recent speculations suggested the missing Flight MH370 could have landed in Diego Garcia. But a spokesman of the U.S. embassy based in Malaysia denied such claims, The Mirror reported.
Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak (C) addresses reporters about the missingMalaysia Airlines flight MH370, as Transport Minister Hishammuddin Hussein (L) and Department of Civil Aviation's Director General Azharuddin Abdul Rahman (R) stand by him, at the Kuala Lumpur International Airport March 15, 2014. Najib said on Saturday that the movements of the missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 were consistent with a deliberate act by someone who turned the jet back acrossMalaysia and onwards to the west.
"There was no indication that MH370 flew anywhere near Maldives or Diego Garcia."
The spokesman said the missing jetliner "did not land in Diego Garcia." He added the U.S authorities are working with Malaysia and Australia and other countries who are striving hard to locate the Malaysian Flight MH370 based on the areas identified by the Malaysian and other international aviation officials.
During Abbott's visit to China, he told the media reporters the search team had detected a series of pings and signals that could pertain to the jetliner's black box. He said the recent findings have helped them narrowed down the search.
"We're getting to the stage where the signal from what we are very confident is the black box is starting to fade," Abbott added.
"We are hoping to get as much information as we can before the signal finally expire," he noted.
A plane's black box can apparently emit signals for 30 days before the built-in battery dies down. Some experts said a black box can continue to work for two more weeks but it depends on the condition of the batteries installed to it. It has been more than 30 days since the Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 has disappeared, with a total of 239 passengers on board. Up to this day, there are still no significant leads that could tell the whereabouts of the jetliner.
Abbott and the rest of the search team are optimistic they are close to finding the black box that could somehow shed a light on the mystery.
He said they are certain that the black box is situated "within some kilometers." But still, it wouldn't be enough to fully explain the fate of the missing jetliner.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- Kendall Jenner Rocks Semi-Nude Balmain Lattice Dress At Paris Fashion Week [PHOTOS]
- Walking Is Superfood For Fitness; Celebrities Who Walk For Health
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
Join the Conversation
- Pregnant Kate Middleton Reportedly Prohibits Camilla Parker-Bowles From ‘Seeing Her Family’ And Newborn
- Ebola in US: Stock Surge for Pharmaceutical Companies Working on Vaccine
- Kate Middleton And Prince William Have Chosen The Name Of Their Second Child- Details
- Local Syrians Have Mixed Reactions To US Airstrikes Against ISIS; Opposition 'Suspicious'
- 5 Things You Should Know About House Training Your Pets
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks