Cyclone Ita: Queensland Premier Newman Warned Residents of Homes Built Before 1985 to Head for Local Shelters Since Houses May Possibly Not Withstand Storm
By Vittorio Hernandez | April 12, 2014 4:18 PM EST
Queensland Premier Campbell Newman had warned residents of the state to stay at home or in local shelters as Cyclone Ita batters Australia. He advised those whose houses were built before 1985 to immediately leave their units and go to local shelters since the homes could possibly not withstand the storm.
It was only in 1985 that new building regulations were enacted.
Winds of up to 140 miles an hour battered northern Australia on late Friday night but it has weakened to a category 2 storm. The Bureau of Meteorology had warned people living between Cape Melville and Cape Tribulation to brace for destructive winds with gusts of up to 86 miles per hour (140 kph).
Despite the weakening of the cyclone, wind gusts in excess of 110 kph were expected to hit Port Douglas and Cairns on late Saturday morning and as far south as Cardwell.
Fast-flowing water trapped residents of Cooktown where the GFES Swiftwater and SES floodboat crews rescued three children and their parents, reported Queensland Fire and Emergency Services Commissioner Lee Johnson in a tweet.
The premier was stranded in Cairns although military helicopters from the 5th Aviation Regiment in Townsville are on standby to help affected Queensland residents. The Black Hawks, MRH90 multi-purpose and Chinook heavy-lift helicopters could not fly yet because of the strong winds.
Emergency crews are now assessing the extent of damaged from Cyclone Ita even as a cyclone warning is still effective for coastal areas from Cape Flattery to Cardwell, including Cooktown, Port Douglas and Cairns as well as inland areas, including Mareeba and Chillagoe.
Early reports said one building in the central business district lost its roof, a few power lines are down causing 9,000 homes to be without power and the streets are littered with fallen trees and debris.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Canadian Ebola Drug: Tekmira Firm Starts Limited Manufacturing of Vaccine, Available By December; Shares Up
- Final 2014 Solar Eclipse: When And How To Safely View It Plus Where To Watch Online Via Live Stream
- Britons Advised to Brace for Strong Hurricane Gonzalo Bearing Winds Up to 75mph; Affects Flights, Train Services
- MH370 Search Update: Australian Scientist Has Reportedly Found A Solution To The Mystery Of Missing Malaysia Airlines Jet
- 2014 Meteor Shower: Slooh To Have Live Broadcast Of Orionids Meteor Shower October 21 Peak, NASA Assures Ideal Observing Conditions
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop