Cyclone Ita: Queensland Premier Newman Warned Residents of Homes Built Before 1985 to Head for Local Shelters Since Houses May Possibly Not Withstand Storm
By Vittorio Hernandez | April 12, 2014 4:18 PM EST
Queensland Premier Campbell Newman had warned residents of the state to stay at home or in local shelters as Cyclone Ita batters Australia. He advised those whose houses were built before 1985 to immediately leave their units and go to local shelters since the homes could possibly not withstand the storm.
It was only in 1985 that new building regulations were enacted.
Winds of up to 140 miles an hour battered northern Australia on late Friday night but it has weakened to a category 2 storm. The Bureau of Meteorology had warned people living between Cape Melville and Cape Tribulation to brace for destructive winds with gusts of up to 86 miles per hour (140 kph).
Despite the weakening of the cyclone, wind gusts in excess of 110 kph were expected to hit Port Douglas and Cairns on late Saturday morning and as far south as Cardwell.
Fast-flowing water trapped residents of Cooktown where the GFES Swiftwater and SES floodboat crews rescued three children and their parents, reported Queensland Fire and Emergency Services Commissioner Lee Johnson in a tweet.
The premier was stranded in Cairns although military helicopters from the 5th Aviation Regiment in Townsville are on standby to help affected Queensland residents. The Black Hawks, MRH90 multi-purpose and Chinook heavy-lift helicopters could not fly yet because of the strong winds.
Emergency crews are now assessing the extent of damaged from Cyclone Ita even as a cyclone warning is still effective for coastal areas from Cape Flattery to Cardwell, including Cooktown, Port Douglas and Cairns as well as inland areas, including Mareeba and Chillagoe.
Early reports said one building in the central business district lost its roof, a few power lines are down causing 9,000 homes to be without power and the streets are littered with fallen trees and debris.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- Enhanced Footage Of NASA's Tether Incident Proves Aliens Exist, Say UFO Believers And Experts [Watch Video]
- Fung-Wong More Like Ketsana Than Haiyan; Kills 1, Displaces 470,000 Filipinos & Paralyses Metro Manila
- Philippines’s Mayon Volcano Shoots Lava & Hot Boulders
- Asteroid That Killed Dinosaurs Are Responsible For A Greener Earth
- It’s Haiyan All Over Again As Philippines Grapples With Heavy Rain, Floods
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Unofficial ‘Samsung Galaxy Alpha’ Can Now Be Purchased For $700 In The US
- Google Now v. Siri v. Cortana – Comparison Of The Three Leading Virtual Assistants
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide
- Canada Consumer Alert: Costco No Longer Accepting American Express Cards Starting Jan 1
- Sony Xperia E3 vs. Moto G (2014) – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown