Cyclone Ita: Queensland Premier Newman Warned Residents of Homes Built Before 1985 to Head for Local Shelters Since Houses May Possibly Not Withstand Storm
By Vittorio Hernandez | April 12, 2014 4:18 PM EST
Queensland Premier Campbell Newman had warned residents of the state to stay at home or in local shelters as Cyclone Ita batters Australia. He advised those whose houses were built before 1985 to immediately leave their units and go to local shelters since the homes could possibly not withstand the storm.
It was only in 1985 that new building regulations were enacted.
Winds of up to 140 miles an hour battered northern Australia on late Friday night but it has weakened to a category 2 storm. The Bureau of Meteorology had warned people living between Cape Melville and Cape Tribulation to brace for destructive winds with gusts of up to 86 miles per hour (140 kph).
Despite the weakening of the cyclone, wind gusts in excess of 110 kph were expected to hit Port Douglas and Cairns on late Saturday morning and as far south as Cardwell.
Fast-flowing water trapped residents of Cooktown where the GFES Swiftwater and SES floodboat crews rescued three children and their parents, reported Queensland Fire and Emergency Services Commissioner Lee Johnson in a tweet.
The premier was stranded in Cairns although military helicopters from the 5th Aviation Regiment in Townsville are on standby to help affected Queensland residents. The Black Hawks, MRH90 multi-purpose and Chinook heavy-lift helicopters could not fly yet because of the strong winds.
Emergency crews are now assessing the extent of damaged from Cyclone Ita even as a cyclone warning is still effective for coastal areas from Cape Flattery to Cardwell, including Cooktown, Port Douglas and Cairns as well as inland areas, including Mareeba and Chillagoe.
Early reports said one building in the central business district lost its roof, a few power lines are down causing 9,000 homes to be without power and the streets are littered with fallen trees and debris.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Walking Is Superfood For Fitness; Celebrities Who Walk For Health
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
Join the Conversation
- Australia's Rising Temperatures Have 'Definite' Links To Global Warming
- NASA's Curiosity Rover Discovers Water On Martian Soil: Mars Not A Dry Planet
- Complex Alien Molecule May Offer Hints At Origin Of Life
- Missing Malaysian Flight MH370: New Search Images Reveal Unknown Seabed Details In The Indian Ocean [Watch Video]
- Cat-Sized Rat: Chinchilla Believed To Be Extinct 400 Years Ago Has Been Rediscovered In Machu Picchu
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- Ukraine Under Pressure To Accept EU Brokered Gas Deal With Russia: Resists High Prices Demanded By Russia