ISRO’s Mars Orbiter Spacecraft Reaches Half Way Mark to Mars
By Parismita Goswami | April 12, 2014 3:19 PM EST
India's first interplanetary probe, Mars Orbiter Spacecraft covered half of its total distance to Mars from the Earth on 09 April 2014 at 9:50 am IST and is currently in its designated helio-centric trajectory.
ISRO’S Mars Orbiter Spacecraft Travels Half Way Mark to Mars (ISRO)
The Mars Orbiter Spacecraft was launched on 05 November 2013 at 02:30 p.m. by India's rocket PSLV-C25 from Satish Dhawan Space Centre at Sriharikota, Andhra Pradesh. Trans Mars Injection manoeuvre was conducted successfully on 01 December 2013.
The spacecraft has been continuously monitored by ISRO with the help of Deep Space Network managed by NASA-JPL. The First Trajectory Correction Manoeuvre (TCM) was done on 11 December 2013.
The health of the spacecraft is normal and is being continuously monitored by the ground station of ISRO Telemetry, Tracking and Command Network (ISTRAC) at Bangalore. Since the spacecraft is in its right trajectory, the TCM will now be carried out in June 2014.
At present, the radio distance between the Spacecraft and the Earth is 39 million km. A signal from the Earth to the Spacecraft and back to Earth takes 4 minutes and 15 seconds. Soon, the High Gain Antenna of the Spacecraft will be put in service for handling communications with the ground stations, according to the ISRO press release.
Incidentally, the spacecraft is covering half the total distance on its way to Red Planet, a day after Earth was at its closest to the Mars, in their orbits. The spacecraft's thrust system is configured for the Mars Orbit Insertion (MOI) manoeuvre and would be performed on 24 September 2014.
Both the Mars Orbiter Spacecraft and the five scientific instruments are in proper condition. Tests are being periodically done to manage the contingencies of the autonomy built.
Photo Credit: ISRO
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Monday Night Football Recap: Chicago Bears 27, New York Jets 19
Join the Conversation
- UFO Sighting: Giant 5 Mile Wide UFO Spotted Over the Ocean in NASA Photograph [Watch Video]
- UFO Sighting In Portsmouth: Sign Of Alien Life Or Smudge On The Camera [Watch Video]
- Lifestyle Changes Reduces Risk of Dementia, According To World Alzheimer Report 2014
- Death By Ice Bucket Challenge Accident For Kentucky Firefighter
- Mysterious Fireball Spotted Over The Rockies Was A Russian Spy Satellite, Experts Say
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- U.S and Canada Fighter Jets Chase Out Russian Jets Near Alaska: Air Space Violation Not Confirmed
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?