ISRO’s Mars Orbiter Spacecraft Reaches Half Way Mark to Mars
By Parismita Goswami | April 12, 2014 3:19 PM EST
India's first interplanetary probe, Mars Orbiter Spacecraft covered half of its total distance to Mars from the Earth on 09 April 2014 at 9:50 am IST and is currently in its designated helio-centric trajectory.
ISRO’S Mars Orbiter Spacecraft Travels Half Way Mark to Mars (ISRO)
The Mars Orbiter Spacecraft was launched on 05 November 2013 at 02:30 p.m. by India's rocket PSLV-C25 from Satish Dhawan Space Centre at Sriharikota, Andhra Pradesh. Trans Mars Injection manoeuvre was conducted successfully on 01 December 2013.
The spacecraft has been continuously monitored by ISRO with the help of Deep Space Network managed by NASA-JPL. The First Trajectory Correction Manoeuvre (TCM) was done on 11 December 2013.
The health of the spacecraft is normal and is being continuously monitored by the ground station of ISRO Telemetry, Tracking and Command Network (ISTRAC) at Bangalore. Since the spacecraft is in its right trajectory, the TCM will now be carried out in June 2014.
At present, the radio distance between the Spacecraft and the Earth is 39 million km. A signal from the Earth to the Spacecraft and back to Earth takes 4 minutes and 15 seconds. Soon, the High Gain Antenna of the Spacecraft will be put in service for handling communications with the ground stations, according to the ISRO press release.
Incidentally, the spacecraft is covering half the total distance on its way to Red Planet, a day after Earth was at its closest to the Mars, in their orbits. The spacecraft's thrust system is configured for the Mars Orbit Insertion (MOI) manoeuvre and would be performed on 24 September 2014.
Both the Mars Orbiter Spacecraft and the five scientific instruments are in proper condition. Tests are being periodically done to manage the contingencies of the autonomy built.
Photo Credit: ISRO
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28