ISRO’s Mars Orbiter Spacecraft Reaches Half Way Mark to Mars
By Parismita Goswami | April 12, 2014 3:19 PM EST
India's first interplanetary probe, Mars Orbiter Spacecraft covered half of its total distance to Mars from the Earth on 09 April 2014 at 9:50 am IST and is currently in its designated helio-centric trajectory.
ISRO’S Mars Orbiter Spacecraft Travels Half Way Mark to Mars (ISRO)
The Mars Orbiter Spacecraft was launched on 05 November 2013 at 02:30 p.m. by India's rocket PSLV-C25 from Satish Dhawan Space Centre at Sriharikota, Andhra Pradesh. Trans Mars Injection manoeuvre was conducted successfully on 01 December 2013.
The spacecraft has been continuously monitored by ISRO with the help of Deep Space Network managed by NASA-JPL. The First Trajectory Correction Manoeuvre (TCM) was done on 11 December 2013.
The health of the spacecraft is normal and is being continuously monitored by the ground station of ISRO Telemetry, Tracking and Command Network (ISTRAC) at Bangalore. Since the spacecraft is in its right trajectory, the TCM will now be carried out in June 2014.
At present, the radio distance between the Spacecraft and the Earth is 39 million km. A signal from the Earth to the Spacecraft and back to Earth takes 4 minutes and 15 seconds. Soon, the High Gain Antenna of the Spacecraft will be put in service for handling communications with the ground stations, according to the ISRO press release.
Incidentally, the spacecraft is covering half the total distance on its way to Red Planet, a day after Earth was at its closest to the Mars, in their orbits. The spacecraft's thrust system is configured for the Mars Orbit Insertion (MOI) manoeuvre and would be performed on 24 September 2014.
Both the Mars Orbiter Spacecraft and the five scientific instruments are in proper condition. Tests are being periodically done to manage the contingencies of the autonomy built.
Photo Credit: ISRO
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Volcano Eruption In Iceland: Lava Erupts More Than 50 Meters High, Prompts Aviation Alert [Video]
- UFO Sighting in Australia: A Mysterious 'Flying' Object With Changing Colors Observed[Watch Video]
- Bad Memories Can be Changed into Good Ones, Say Scientists
- Walking Fish Reveal How Our Ancestors Evolved Onto Land (Watch Video)
- Stargazing: Saturn, Moon and Mars Meet Up Last August 31
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports