Woman who Threw Shoe at Hillary Clinton Released from Jail
April 12, 2014 2:08 PM EST
A woman who threw a shoe at Hillary Clinton as the former U.S. secretary of state was delivering a speech in Las Vegas has been released from jail, and faces possible charges after her arrest for disorderly conduct, officials said on Friday.
Representational Image (CreativeCommons/AndrewBardwell)
Alison Michelle Ernst, 36, was released on her own recognizance just before midnight on Thursday, said Tess Driver, a spokeswoman for the Clark County District Attorney's Office. Ernst has not been formally charged but is scheduled to appear in court on June 24, Driver said.
Clinton was giving a speech on Thursday at the Mandalay Bay hotel in Las Vegas when a protester who was not a ticketed guest and was being approached by Secret Service agents threw a shoe at her, said Secret Service spokesman George Ogilvie
Video news footage showed Clinton, 66, a potential 2016 Democratic presidential candidate, move to crouch as a flying object flew past her on stage.
The former secretary of state later joked about the incident, asking if it was part of a Las Vegas Cirque du Soleil show.
Las Vegas police arrested Ernst on suspicion of disorderly conduct, said police spokesman Officer Jose Hernandez. Prosecutors have not decided whether to charge Ernst in the incident, Driver said.
In many parts of the world, throwing a shoe at a political figure is a form of protest. In 2008, a shoe was hurled at then-President George W. Bush when he appeared at a Baghdad news conference with the Iraqi prime minister.
Clinton, who lost the Democratic presidential nomination to then-Senator Barack Obama in 2008, said at a marketing conference in San Francisco earlier this week that she was thinking about running for president again in 2016.
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Russian Govt Found Tinkering Wikipedia Crash Info
- New Zealand and China Decide to Boost Defence Ties
- Scientists Warn MERS Virus Could be Spread Airborne
- British PM Cameron Urges Tough Sanctions Against Russia
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- Apple Logo on iPhone 6 Might Double as Notification LED; Roughly 80M iPhone 6 Units Ordered Targeting Release Date—Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air