iPhone 6 Release Date: More Expected Features in Apple's New Flagship Smartphone
By Raymond Ronamai | April 12, 2014 1:14 AM EST
Expected features of Apple iPhone 6 keep on surfacing amid speculations over its release date, and the latest one has come from an analyst who claims that the new flagship smartphone will come with a much lesser display resolution than reported earlier.
File photo of Apple iPhone 5S being displayed at an Apple shop in Tokyo's Ginza shopping district
Apple is planning to launch two variants of iPhone 6 - with the 4.7-inch model set to sport a 1,334x750 display and the 5.5-inch model a 1,920x1,080 display, according to Apple Insider website, citing analyst Ming-Chi Kuo.
The report is in contrast with an earlier report by South Korean brokerage KDB Daewoo Securities that stated the 4.7-inch version of iPhone 6 would have 1920x1080p (440ppi) display resolution, while the 5.5 inch model would have a 2272×1280 (510ppi) resolution, with both variants set to be powered by the A8 chip (64-bit) processor and run on iOS 7.2.
Ming-Chi claims that iPhone 6 will come with low temperature polysilicon in-cell touch panels, Touch ID fingerprint security, NFC, metal casing and an 8MP rear camera with f/2.2 aperture. The thickness of the new device is said to be 6.5 to 7.0 millimeters, while its bezels are said to be narrower than iPhone 5S by 10 to 20 percent.
Apple's flagship smartphone is expected to have a full scratch-free sapphire crystal glass screen. Chinese analyst Sun Chang Xu posted on her Weibo page, citing a friend from MEMS (microelectromechanical systems), that Apple is planning to introduce sensors that can detect pressure, temperature and humidity.
Ming-Chi also said that both variants of iPhone 6 would be unveiled in this fall, which is in sync with several earlier reports. Japanese website EMSOne (Google translation) had reported, citing Taiwanese newspaper Industrial and Commercial Times, that the device would be unveiled in September, which is in line with reports by Nikkei.
Mass production of Apple's iPhone 6 may start as early as May, with the 4.7-inch screen model expected to be unveiled this autumn, while the 5.5-inch version would arrive a bit later, reported Reuters, citing sources from the Apple suppliers.
A research note from UBS Managing Director Steve Milunovich (via Barron's) suggested that the 4.7-inch variant of iPhone 6 would be launched either in August or September but the 5.5-inch model may or may not be released at the same time. However, earlier reports had suggested that iPhone 6 would be unveiled at the upcoming WWDC event in June.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
- Miranda Kerr Broke Her Silence: Not Pregnant With James Packard’s Baby [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs iPhone 6: Why Forecasts Favor Mi4 as The Next Best Phone Against iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 Release Date Remains On Course for Sept-Oct 2014 as Apple Delays iWatch Debut to 2015
- Samsung Galaxy Note 3 LTE Android 4.4.2, Android 4.4.4Guide: Installation and When to Hit Your Region
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists