'Race Gurram' Review Roundup: Typical Entertainer; Watch it for Allu Arjun, Brahmi's Performance
By sangeetha seshagiri | April 11, 2014 9:58 PM EST
Allu Arjun's "Race Gurram" has opened to positive reviews from critics.
Directed by Surender Reddy, "Race Gurram" is a family entertainer with all the commercial elements. The film's story revolves around two brothers - Ram (Shaam) and Lakshman aka Lucky (Allu Arjun).
Race Gurram Poster (Facebook/Race Gurram)
Ram is a sincere police officer who follows strict rules and regulations. On the other hand, Lucky is a carefree, mischievous guy who enjoys life. Both the brothers have cat fights from their childhood.
Lucky meets Spandana (Shruti Haasan) and falls in love with her. While he is busy wooing Spandana, Ram is working towards collecting evidence against Shiva Reddy (Ravi Kishan), a corrupt politician. Reddy is trying to kill Ram and Lucky accidentally finds it. He confronts Reddy and tells him to stay away from his family. Reddy decides to take revenge on Lucky's family and tries to harass them using his power. The rest of the story is about how Lucky fights against Reddy with the help of Govardhan (Posani Krishna Murali) and "Kill Bill" Pandey (Brahmanandam).
Critics have appreciated Allu Arjun's performance in the film, terming it as one of his best performances. The actor seems to have excelled in his comic timing in "Race Gurram" and his dance sequences are reportedly top notch. Brahmanandam's performance as a special cop "Kill Bill" Pandey is one of major highlights of the film.
The rest of the cast including Shruti Haasan, Prakash Raj, Shaam, Ravi Kishan, Posani Krishna Murali, Jayaprakash Reddy, Ali, MS Narayana and Tanikella Bharani have done their parts well.
According to 123telugu, "Allu Arjun is improving as an actor with every film and this film is an example. He has done a superb job in this movie and his performance is a big asset. Bunny's comedy timing is spot on in the film. He has come up with some superb dance moves for the film."
"Shruti Haasan does not have much to do, but she has very good screen presence. Her glamorous avatar is a big attraction for the masses. Saloni is ok as Shyam's romantic interest. Brahmanandam has delivered another knock out performance as 'Kill Bill Pandey'. He enters the film in the second half and manages to come up with a hilarious performance that will have good repeat value. Posani entertains in a nice role," the website says.
On the technical aspects, critics say that cinematography by Manoj Paramahamsa offers nice visual treat for the fans, whereas they feel that editing could have been better. Thaman's songs are good, but the background scores are not up to the expectations. Action episodes seem to be one of the minus points of the film.
Gulte says, "Music by Thaman is good. Two songs stand out in the film. Boochade and Cinema Choopista are instant chartbusters. Background score is not up to the mark. Action is loud. They should have composed some decent fights. Those explosive action episodes are out of sync with rest of the movie. Cinematography is good. Editing could have been better."
There film doesn't seem to offer anything new and it is said to be a typical entertainer. Despite some drawbacks, the film is watchable for the commercial elements, Allu Arjun and Brahamanandam's fantastic performances.
According to Jeevi of idlebrain, "Initial half of the first half is entertaining. Interval fight is pretty heavy. Second half is neatly done. The last 20 minutes of the film which features Brahmanandam gives a high. Plus points of the movie are Allu Arjun, Brahmanandam, Cinematography, second half screenplay, all round orientation and production values."
"On the flip side, eccentric villain characterization and uneven tempo of the film should have been taken care of. On a whole, Race Gurram with it's allround commercial elements should do well at box office! And watch out for Brahmi as 'kill bill pandey'!," he says.
Verdict: Routine entertainer; watch it for Allu Arjun, Brahmanandam's (Brahmi) performance
Photo credit: Facebook/ Race Gurram
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- Hilarious Reactions For Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Secret Wedding: George Clooney, Jennifer Aniston, Billy Bob Thornton
- Mila Kunis-Ashton Kutcher Baby; Actor ‘Not Letting Mila Out Of His Sight’
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Exclusive New Trailer, Charlie Hunnam Is Guy Ritchie’s Choice For King Arthur [VIDEO]
- ‘Castle’ Update: Watch Stana Katic, Jon, Seamus Take Bucket Challenge At Season 7 Set, Nathan Fillion Missing [VIDEOS]
- ‘Bachelor In Paradise’ Episode 6 Spoilers: Next Week Tests Relationships And Sees A Shocking Exit
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- Ukraine Ceasefire Looks Remote As Putin Talks Tough At Meeting With Poroshenko
- Windows 9 To Include Interactive Live Tiles and Notification Center in Metro 2.0