WATCH: Shoe Thrown at Hillary Clinton in Las Vegas; 'Good Thing She Didn't Play Softball Like I Did’ Replies Clinton after Dodging Attack
By Gopi Chandra Kharel | April 11, 2014 9:27 PM EST
After George W Bush, it seems it is now Hillary Clinton's turn to get a shoe hurled at her.
Hillary Clinton was forced to duck on Thursday when a female protester threw what was described as a shoe at her. (Reuters)
The former Secretary of State had to duck at a Las Vegas event on Thursday, when a female protester threw a shoe at her. When the shoe flew past her right ear, Clinton had just begun a speech on recycling and solid waste management.
And as is the case with every little embarrassing moment, the best way to save yourself is to make a joke out of the whole thing. Clinton seemed to be a champion on this subject as the situation was quickly turned into a fun moment when she outsmarted the woman's poor aim.
"Is that somebody throwing something at me? Is that part of Cirque du Soleil?" Clinton joked, the New York Daily News reported. "My goodness, I didn't know that solid waste management was so controversial. Good thing she didn't play softball like I did," she added, in a sardonic tone that she is known for.
The crowd held their breath when the shoe went flying towards Clinton, only to start cheering the former First Lady's reaction a few moments later. The shoe-thrower, whose name has not been revealed yet, was taken into custody, news outlets reported, citing a source from Associated Press.
When the woman was removed from the hall, she appeared to be wearing sandals on both feet, indicating that she had brought an extra shoe with her just to hurl at Clinton.
The woman was later identified as a non-member of the Scrap Recyling Industries, to which Clinton was addressing when the incident happened.
This was not the first time that a major US politician has had footwears thrown at them. Former President George W Bush had a pair of shoes thrown at him during a visit to Iraq in 2008.
Bush dodged two shoes thrown at him by a man during a news conference with Iraq Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki on 14 December 2008.
Click here to see the video of the shoe being thrown at Clinton.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
Join the Conversation
- Pregnant Kate Middleton Reportedly Prohibits Camilla Parker-Bowles From ‘Seeing Her Family’ And Newborn
- Kate Middleton And Prince William Have Chosen The Name Of Their Second Child- Details
- Ebola in US: Stock Surge for Pharmaceutical Companies Working on Vaccine
- Local Syrians Have Mixed Reactions To US Airstrikes Against ISIS; Opposition 'Suspicious'
- Melbourne Wakes Up To Anti-Terror Raids: Seabrook Man Arrested For Funding Terrorist Organisation
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build