National Day of Silence 2014: History and Origin; Top Quotes, Lines to Mark the Event
By Gopi Chandra Kharel | April 11, 2014 8:00 PM EST
Some of the top reasons why kids are harassed and bullied in schools are because of the individual sexual orientation and gender expression. Four out of five students in America who identify themselves as lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender (LGBT) are harassed at schools, Democrat and Chronicle reports, citing a study.
Gay couple Andrew Wale (R) and Neil Allard. April 11 is The National Day of Silence celebrated to create awareness about the effect that bullying on basis of sexuality and gender expressions, brings to its victims (Photo: Reuters)
April 11 is marked as the National Day of Silence each year, especially across the United States and is considered to be a day of action, in which students from various part of the country vow to take a form of silence to call attention to the silencing effect of anti-LGBT bullying and harassment in schools.
The official website for the National Day of Silence notes, that the day was founded in 1996 and the observance has become the largest single student-led actions towards making schools a better place to live in and safer places to be for all, irrespective of sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.
The first-ever National Day of Silence was held at the University of Virginia in 1996, the concept of which soon struck a chord with many other institutions. By 2008, over 8,000 middle schools, high schools, colleges and universities across the country celebrated the day.
Silence is used on this day to create awareness about the effect that bullying has on its victims. Bullying and harassment is often said to instill fear in LGBT groups to speak out about their sexuality and gender identity.
Here are some quotes and lines to mark the National Day of Silence 2014:
1. The Only queer people are those who don't love anybody. - Rita Mae Brown
2. If a bullet should enter my brain, let that bullet destroy every closet door. - Harvey Milk
3. What sexual preference do you hope she has? 'Happiness.' Isn't that cool? - Francesca Lia Block, Weetzie Bat
4. With ignorance comes fear- from fear comes bigotry. Education is the key to acceptance. - Kathleen Patel
5. Fashion is what you adopt when you don't know who you are. - Quentin Crisp
6. The beauty of standing up for your rights is others will see you standing and stand up as well. - Cassandra Duffy
7. I know I will never be happy, but I know I can be gay! - Marilyn Monroe
8. Gay rights are human rights - Hilary Clinton
9. I think that gay marriage should be between a man and a woman. - Arnold Schwarzenegger
10. I started being really pound of the fact that I was gay even though I wasn't. - Kurt Cobain
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess Of Cambridge ‘Dissed’ By Camilla Parker-Bowles; Delivery Expected In April- Reports
- 'Green Alien Eggs' Spotted on Sydney's Dee Why Beach
- The Pirate Bay Founder Peter Sunde Attends Father’s Funeral Without Handcuffs, Brother Thanks TPB Founder’s Supporters on Facebook
- Drag Queens Fume That Facebook Is Banning Aliases And Threaten to Drop Out Of It
- British Teenager Wants Her Leg Cut To be Able To Compete At Paralympics – Watch Video
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues
- U.S and Canada Fighter Jets Chase Out Russian Jets Near Alaska: Air Space Violation Not Confirmed
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?