National Pet Day 2014: Origin and Fun Facts; 15 Adorable Quotes to Warm Your Heart
By Gopi Chandra Kharel | April 11, 2014 5:23 PM EST
National Pet Day is celebrated each year on April 11 and is considered to be a day when you acknowledge and display extra love and affection towards your furry little ones. The day to acknowledge the fact that the little ones are very much a part of our own family is a well received day worldwide.
Happy National Pet Day 2014: Here are some fun facts about the day and some adorable quotes about owning a pet. (Photo: Reuters)
While it might be the time of the year when you are aware of how beautiful your lives are because of the little animals present around you in your home; the National Pet Day 2014 is also considered to be a day to raise more awareness of the importance of pet adoption.
The motto of one of America's favourite holidays is "Don't shop! Adopt!" The day to celebrate the joy pets bring to our lives is, therefore, also supposed to be a day to create public awareness about the plight of many different kinds of animals awaiting a forever home in shelters across the United Nations, the Pet Day USA website says.
Origin of National Pet Day:
According to Pet Day USA, National Pet Day was founded in 2005 by Pet & Family Lifestyle Expert, Colleen Paige, who is also the founder of National Dog Day, National Puppy Day and National Cat Day among others.
Here are some interesting facts about National Pet Day to take note of:
- Did you know that there are approximately 86.4 million pet cats and 78.2 million pet dogs living in the United States alone?
- Did you know Gerbils, birds, turtles, and fish are also very common pets?
- Did you know April is also Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Month?
Here are some adorable Quotes about Owning Pets:
1. Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened. - Anatole France
2. No animal has more liberty than the cat...The cat is the best anarchist. - Ernest Hemingway, For Whom The Bell Tolls
3. My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet. - Edith Wharton
4. I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive - Gilda Radner
5. Animals are my friends...and I don't eat my friends. -George Bernard Shaw
6. The greatest pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him and not only will he not scold you, but we will make a fool of himself too. -Samuel Butler
7. Dogs never bite me. Just Humans. - Marilyn Monroe
8. I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become its visible soul. - Jean Cocteau
9. I care not for a man's religion whose dog and cat are not the better for it. - Abraham Lincoln
10. I have a very old and very faithful attachment for dogs. I like them because they always forgive. - Albert Camus; The Fall
11. If having a soul means being able to feel love and loyalty and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans. - James Herriot
12. Animals never worry about heaven or hell. Neither do I. Maybe that's why we get along. - Charles Bukowski
13. I've seen a look in dogs' eyes, a quickly vanishing look of amazed contempt, and I am convinced that dogs think humans are nuts. - John Steinbeck
14. The dog is a gentleman; I hope to go to his heaven not man's. - Mark Twain
15. If a man aspires towards a righteous life, his first act of abstinence is from injury to animals. - Albert Einstein
(Edited by Vanilla Sharma)
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Pregnant Kate Middleton Wants To Have A Big Family With ‘Five Children’ At Anmer Hall Residence- Reports
- ISIS European Teen Jihadists Allegedly Pregnant; New Zealand Silent On Kiwi Jihadist's Request To Return Home
- New Zealand Scientists Dissect Well-Preserved Female Colossal Squid [VIDEO]
- ISIS Murder Videos 'Turning On' Foreign Jihadists To Fight US and Britain [VIDEO]
- 24-year-old Playboy Model Marries 81-year-old Construction Tycoon Richard Lugner
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Canadian IS Jihadist Who Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers