MH370 Search: Aussie Chief Confirms Fifth Signal Not Related to Plane; Taliban Involvement, Cover-up Suspected
By Reissa Su | April 11, 2014 5:07 PM EST
The fifth signal detected by the Australian aircraft on April 10 was declared "unlikely to be related to the missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370.
A woman places a lighted candle on a poster with messages expressing hope for passengers of the missing Malaysia Airlines plane MH370 during a candlelight vigil in Petaling Jaya, near Kuala Lumpur on 16 March, 2014.
According to Australian Chief Search Coordinator Angus Houston, the latest acoustic signal was not from the black boxes of the aircraft and there was "no major breakthrough" in the continuing search. He said the Australian Joint Acoustic Analysis Centre will continue to perform further analysis.
But Australian Prime Minister Tony Abbott has told Chinese reporters on April 11 that he was "very confident" that the signals picked up by the Australian vessel belonged to the Malaysia Airline Flight MH370. The reports were not clear if Abbott referred to the four other signals that were detected earlier.
Accusations of the Malaysian cover-up have not died down as social media and the Internet are abuzz with reports of conspiracy theories and possible scenarios. Malaysian Opposition Leader Anwar Ibrahim has accused the Malaysian government of hiding information, according to his interview with the Daily Telegraph.
He said Malaysia's radar system can detect any change of an aircraft's course. He added he was "baffled" why the highly sophisticated Marconi radar system of Malaysia was unable to immediately detect Flight MH370's deviation from its course.
He believed it was not possible that the missing plane could have crossed at least four Malaysia provinces without being detected by radar. He was firm in his belief that the "government knows more than us."
No Debris Means Plane Hijacked by Taliban Group?
Malaysian authorities previously investigated the theory that the missing Malaysian Airlines Flight MH370 could have been navigated under the radar to the bases on the boarder of Afghanistan and North West Pakistan believed to be under the Taliban territory.
According to the Independent, Malaysian authorities had requested for diplomatic permission. Four hours after the Flight MH370 went missing and lost ground control communications, the aircraft had reportedly sent signals to a satellite.
According to a U.S. official who asked for anonymity, the signals could have meant the Malaysian Airlines plan was still in the air for hundreds of kilometers or more. Reports explored this possibility where large areas of the southern half of Afghanistan are controlled by the Afghan Taliban, while some areas of northwest Pakistan, adjacent to or near to the Afghan border, are ruled by the Pakistani Taliban.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
- Miranda Kerr Broke Her Silence: Not Pregnant With James Packard’s Baby [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Immediate Deaths After Ice Bucket Challenge Are Hoaxes Gone Viral: Neck Injury And Hypothermia Killed Two People Performing The Stunt
- Risky Selfies That Were Taken A Few Seconds Before Tragedy Struck
- ISIS Update: Executioner of James Foley with British Accent Identified as ‘John’
- ISIS Beheading US Journalist James Foley Sparks Outrage, Netizens Demand 'All-Out War'
- Viral Video Missouri Mall: Back-To-School Promo Of East Hills Mall In Missouri Goes Viral As Terrible Mall Ad [WATCH VIDEO]
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists