Players Expressed Their Views After Abby Bishop Quits
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | April 11, 2014 5:02 PM EST
Erin Phillips, Australian basketball point guard for Opals, said she absolutely agreed with the idea to bring a child in the upcoming world championship campaign. But she defended the Basketball Australia and its way of support to a woman.
Philips said Basketball Australia offered financial support to the best of its ability but the decision over Abby Bishop after introducing the new parenting policy went out of hand.
Bishop had ceased to play at the world championship after the board instructed her to bear the flight expense, accommodation and a nanny for her seven-month old child Zala.
Bishop was perplexed the way Basketball Australia had handled the situation. She had earlier sent a letter in this context 3 weeks ago but the Board was mum.
"It has come across that Abby hasn't had any support, but she has. Maybe it's not enough, I don't know...The disappointing part in all this is that it hasn't gotten through that Basketball Australia do support their athletes as best as they can, they've supported me and I know they've supported Abby," Philips said.
"The Opals support Abby and the fact she's a single mother is a difficult task. It's not an easy job...If I was Abby I would need the funding and support and it's disappointing it's come across BA aren't offering support because that's not the case...We want Abby to be a part of the Opals ... and if I was in her shoes I'd want my child to come with me. Abby would definitely be welcome back," she added.
Basketball Australia clarified the intention to introduce the new parenting policy was to shield the "the sanctity of high performance."
Olympic Champion Jenni Screen also shared her thought and expressed sorrow for Bishop's situation.
"The situation regarding Abby Bishop's decision to withdraw from the world championship campaign is very sad to say the least... There is a plethora of talent within the women's program of Basketball Australia. While Abby will be missed, this is an opportunity for another athlete to maybe wear the green and gold for the first time...The next 6 months is massive in terms of development of our new system and continuing to build on the culture of the Opals, it's an exciting time ahead," Screen said.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal Back In Action To Target Novak Djokovic At China Open
- Bruce Jenner Says Lamar Odom Should Follow His Heart If He Wants To Get Back Together With Khloe Kardashian
- Maria Sharapova On Relationship With Grigor Dimitrov: ‘Everything Is Great’; Dimitrov Was Present At Sharapova’s First Round Match In China
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Will Probably Pick Between Amir Khan Or Manny Pacquiao For Next Fight According to Uncle Jeff
- Green Bay Packers Vs. Chicago Bears Live Streaming Info And Preview
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate