Heavyweight Boxing Update: All Eyes on Big Daddy Browne And Alex Leapai
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | April 11, 2014 4:39 PM EST
Australia braces for the best boxing action in the upcoming heavyweight championship. Two historic fights are slated to take place in the same day.
All eyes are set on Daddy Browne to clinch the upcoming Commonwealth title. Browne has been ranked no.15 by IBF, WBA and WBC. The 34-year-old Browne also holds the records to beat James Toney, Travis Walker and Richard Towers and looked confident winning the Commonwealth games.
The last Australian to win boxing championship in Commonwealth games was Peter Jackson in 1892. Meanwhile, Alex Leapai has been practicing hard in the gym to defend the giant Wladimir Klitschko with body shots.
"Klitschko is going to get hit and he's going to feel my power," Leapai said. Cornerman of Leapai, Rick Thornberry praised the boxer and said there are possible chances to oust Klitschko in the upcoming title.
"Alex is a terrific body puncher and not a lot of heavyweights fight that way these days...If he can keep the pressure on Klitschko and keep banging away underneath he can bring him crashing down. I reckon he's got a great chance to stop Klitschko," Thornberry added.
Leapai was meticulous in training as he practiced with tall boxers to adjust facing Klitschko's height as an opponent.
"We just have to monitor every little niggle...So close to the fight we don't want anything going wrong," Leapai added.
Meanwhile, Lennox Lewis, former heavyweight champion and Olympic gold medalist, said Alex Leapai have all the abilities to knock down Wladimir Klitschko in the championship match on April 27 in Oberhausen.
"It might be a surprise...Leapai is a good challenger. Every one of Klitschko's opponents hope to cause the upset but Leapai has a chance...It is very hard to beat Klitschko - but I wish (Leapai) luck," Lewis cited in the Web site sports.de.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Dionesian ‘Hex’: Pacquiao’s Secret Weapon Behind His 8 Titles
- Chris Algieri Exposed, Criticised For Lack Of Desire To Win Against Manny Pacquiao
- Arum Says Pacquiao's Victory vs Algieri May Cause Mayweather To Say ‘No’ To Dream Match
- Boxing News: Manny Pacquiao 'Ready' To Fight Floyd Mayweather In 2015 Following Algieri Win
- Freddie Roach Asks Manny Pacquiao Not To Beat Up Algieri Too Badly So Mayweather Will Not Be Scared And Agree To Super Fight
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James
- HTC One M8 Android 5.0 Lollipop Release Delayed: Other Schedule and Installation Guide