‘Bhoothnath Returns’ Reviews Roundup: Child Actor Parth Steals the Show
By Ankita Mehta | April 11, 2014 4:18 PM EST
Child actor Parth Bhalerao has outshined megastar Amitabh Bachchan in the newly released horror comedy film "Bhoothnath Returns", according to critics.
"Bhoothnath Returns" directed by Nitesh Tiwari is a sequel to 2008 film "Bhoothnath". It features Big B and Bhalerao in lead roles and Boman Irani in supporting role. Anurag Kashyap, Shah Rukh Khan and Ranbir Kapoor have done cameo in the film.
Bhalerao has impressed critics with his acting skills and comic timing with Sr. Bachchan. The film is entertaining, but has focused too much on corruption, politicians and elections making it look like an election campaign.
Check out the reviews here:
Taran Adarsh of Bollywood Hungama said: "Nitesh Tiwari takes the BHOOTHNATH template and spins an altogether fresh tale in BHOOTHNATH RETURNS. The corrupt netas and the corroded political system have been an integral part of Bollywood for decades now. One is used to mortals trading charges against each other or manipulating the junta to suit themselves... Nitesh reinvents the genre by pitting a ghost against a political heavyweight and therein lies the difference. Everything else is fine-tuned to fit into the rhythm.
"Although Bachchan Sr. has delivered unforgettable performances in his illustrious career, he never fails to surprise you with stellar acts again and again. He is the soul of BHOOTHNATH RETURNS, shining in several crucial sequences of the film. Boman Irani is fabulous as the power-hungry, shrewd politician, while Parth Bhalerao is the scene stealer, delivering a winning performance, despite sharing screen space with ace actors.
"On the whole, BHOOTHNATH RETURNS is made with noble intentions and the message it conveys resonates in the second hour, although those looking for entertainment may find it lacking in the second half. Watch it for some wonderful moments and superior performances by Bachchan Sr., Boman Irani and the child artist Parth Bhalerao."
"Even though director Nitesh Tiwari picks up from where Vivek Sharma left off in 'Bhoothnath', and stays true to the principle of a sequel unlike many of his contemporaries, he's unable to piece together some incredible scenes, performances and lines and convert it into a good film.
"Partha is a incredible discovery, lending charm and maturity to little crusader Akhrot. He's impeccable, and holds his own in front of stalwarts like Amitabh Bachchan and Boman Irani. Much like Akhrot, he doesn't appear rattled by pressure, and displays confidence and talent that's rare in Hindi movie ranks."
Manjusha Radhakrishnan of Gulf News said: "If there's a cute child or adorable puppy in the frame, it's tough for adults to remain in the spotlight. Something along those lines happens with supernatural comedyBhoothnath Returns. On the one hand, there's Bollywood's seasoned actor Amitabh Bachchan who returns as the friendly ghost Bhoothnath and on the other, there's an absolutely delightful street kid Akhrot (Bhaleraoa).
"He has the best lines and boy, can that kid deliver those witty lines with a swagger that's normally reserved for matinee idols.
"While the first half is refreshingly devoid of needless drama, director Tiwari makes up for all that lost time. The climax is loaded with melodrama and tears. But the credit has to go to Akhrot and Bhoothnath for making the twists palatable. Watch this for Bhalerao and Bachchan (in that order)."
Suprateek Chatterjee of Firstpost said: "Much of the film's warmth, especially in its crisp and crackling first half, comes from the chemistry between him and Bachchan. Bhalerao is a natural scene-stealer, and leaves the Big B choking on his dust-cloud on most occasions.
"For the most part, barring perhaps the last half hour of the film, its most shamelessly manipulative moments are tempered with deliberate humour. What's heartening about this film is that it seems to be fully aware that it is being presented as an 'election product', and it seems to take that in its stride and play it as its strength. Talk about shrewd politics."
Rohit Khilnani of India Today said: "The idea of Bhootnath Returns is a great one and it's a totally justified sequel unlike most Bollywood sequels.
"The heart of the film is in the performances by the entire cast. Starting with the young, confident child actor Parth Bhalerao who talks to Senior Bachchan as if he is actually his buddy,
"The film also has some interesting message for people to go out and vote and what better timing as it's in the heat of elections in India. There is no doubt that Bhoothnath will entertain cine-goers.. It's entertainment .. Bachchan style!"
(Edited by VS)
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Avengers 2: Capt.America Dances With Peggy Carter, First Love Returns
- Kim Kardashian and Kanye West Break-Up Furor Ceased: West Gets Turned on by Kim, Puts Rest to Marriage Trouble Reports
- Selena Gomez's Mystery Man Identified as Businessman Tommy Chiabra, Singer Flirts and Shares Same Towel with Him -- Reports
- NCIS Season 12 Spoilers: Fans Fear Cote de Pablo Not Coming Back, Tony DiNozzo Moving On from Ziva David
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Report: Duchess Expecting a Baby Girl, Prince William Wants 3 Kids [PHOTOS]
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown