Malthouse Not to Accept Defeat
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | April 11, 2014 4:03 PM EST
Carlton coach Mick Malthouse looked determined to leave no stone unturned to retain the spirit of the team after a sordid 0-3 start this season.
Malthouse challenged the players and stated to "get back off the canvas."
Carlton had made some changes in the team as Jarred Waite and Jeff Garlett were dropped for the upcoming match against Melbourne on Saturday. He introduced the talented youngster Patrick Cripps.
The senior players were dropped from the squad as their performance are not on par. He also said Garret was trying to overcome a shoulder injury.
"One's a leading goalkicker, one has got the potential to be a leading goalkicker, one's been around the football club for a long time ... here are certain expectations that we have to have and if we can't reach those expectations, the reality check is perhaps go back, find your form in regard to that area and become more accustomed to what we expect ... He (Waite) has been around the club so long that players look to him, so he's got to go back and find that form that gives the players in front of him confidence that he is going to take the mark, kick the goal or contest the football," Mathouse said.
Carlton faced major blow losing 81 points after the defeat against Essendon. Malthouse, however, cleared his intention to focus on the current state and not on rebuilding the team.
"We've got an eye on next year and the year after, we can't deny that ... But I'm not one that just goes we'll forget this year and we will stagger along and cop the criticism and get ready for next year. I don't believe in that ... "My obligation to this football club, which has been like this with any football club I've ever been part of, is that we will give of ourselves every week as best we possibly can," he added.
Malthouse explained the team's situation, citing a quote from Terence McSwiney, a popular figure during the Irish War of Independence. The quote reads, "It is not those who can inflict the most, but those who can suffer the most who will conquer."
"It's a great quote because we've just got to endure ... The mark of a man is getting off the canvas. Not how many times you fall ... The same sort of people continually want to test and question game plans or personnel or where I sit, but I've prevailed on one principle ... It's the effort to get back off the canvas and keep going and override any doubts that may come from people who've got different agendas and we just keep going," he further added.
The good part lies with the debut of Nicks. Malthouse was characterised as a strong midfielder with efficient leadership capabilities - both these traits are essential to build a formidable team.
"If you had to explain him to some of the old-time Carlton supporters you'd say he's bigger than 'Big Nick' (John Nicholls) ... but he's not a ruckman ... The most important thing is he knows his role and he fits in, gets games under his belt and we can develop him from there ... We're very confident that he is a player of the future for our football club. Not only a player, but leadership," Malthouse concluded
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- ESPN Anchor Skip Bayless Says Floyd Mayweather Jr Will Not Fight Manny Pacquiao Because Undefeated Fighter Is ‘Afraid To Lose’
- Dionesian ‘Hex’: Pacquiao’s Secret Weapon Behind His 8 Titles
- Chris Algieri Exposed, Criticised For Lack Of Desire To Win Against Manny Pacquiao
- Arum Says Pacquiao's Victory vs Algieri May Cause Mayweather To Say ‘No’ To Dream Match
- Boxing News: Manny Pacquiao 'Ready' To Fight Floyd Mayweather In 2015 Following Algieri Win
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James