Catherine Cox to Retire from International Netball
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | April 11, 2014 3:20 PM EST
The 37-year-old Cox, on declaration of her retirement, will not be available for the selection process in Australia Diamonds squad next week. She, however, will play with Vixens for the rest of the matches for the Trans-Tasman league.
"I'm looking forward to waking up and enjoying a life away from the netball court ... I obviously want to stay involved with netball in some capacity beyond this season, this sport has given me so much and I have loved every minute of it, but after more than 18 years you just know when it's time for a change and something new in your life," Cox said in a statement.
The Vixens have secured a strong position as they moved two steps up in the chart, after defeating Queensland Firebirds by 50-38 on Monday night.
"I desperately want the Vixens to make the final and I don't want the end of the season to be about my retirement, it took me a long time to make this decision but now we can move on with the season as a team and do what we need to do to win a premiership," Cox added.
Cox further stated she would not like to pursue the upcoming 2015 World Championships or Glasgow Commonwealth Games, since it involves a full-time commitment.
"I'd been in consultation with Lisa Alexander (Diamonds head coach) about how I was feeling and where my head was at for the last six months and I've made the judgment call that it wasn't right for me, nor would it be fair on the Australian team, to continue on when I see the Diamonds' next couple of years as a block period with the Commonwealth Games and World Champs if I wasn't fully committed ... There are so many great shooters in Australia to choose from so I know they'll have nothing but success, and I will be there supporting them every step of the way," she said.
Cox is considered as the greatest Australian netball shooter and captained the country for nine times throughout her career
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Manchester United Transfer News: Arturo Vidal Leaving Juventus for the Red Devils Gaining Momentum
- Roger Federer Forced to Take Down Children's Play Area on his Property in Valbella
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Striker Disappointed with Cesc Fabregas Sale to Chelsea
- 5 Sports Stars Who are Also Into Other Sports
- Roman Reigns Vs Randy Orton Match Unexciting, Reigns 'Awful Wrestler No Charisma'
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: ‘Out of control… and Can Get Worse'; Asky Airline Stops Flying to Liberia, Sierra Leone; Liberia Closes Schools