Catherine Cox to Retire from International Netball
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | April 11, 2014 3:20 PM EST
The 37-year-old Cox, on declaration of her retirement, will not be available for the selection process in Australia Diamonds squad next week. She, however, will play with Vixens for the rest of the matches for the Trans-Tasman league.
"I'm looking forward to waking up and enjoying a life away from the netball court ... I obviously want to stay involved with netball in some capacity beyond this season, this sport has given me so much and I have loved every minute of it, but after more than 18 years you just know when it's time for a change and something new in your life," Cox said in a statement.
The Vixens have secured a strong position as they moved two steps up in the chart, after defeating Queensland Firebirds by 50-38 on Monday night.
"I desperately want the Vixens to make the final and I don't want the end of the season to be about my retirement, it took me a long time to make this decision but now we can move on with the season as a team and do what we need to do to win a premiership," Cox added.
Cox further stated she would not like to pursue the upcoming 2015 World Championships or Glasgow Commonwealth Games, since it involves a full-time commitment.
"I'd been in consultation with Lisa Alexander (Diamonds head coach) about how I was feeling and where my head was at for the last six months and I've made the judgment call that it wasn't right for me, nor would it be fair on the Australian team, to continue on when I see the Diamonds' next couple of years as a block period with the Commonwealth Games and World Champs if I wasn't fully committed ... There are so many great shooters in Australia to choose from so I know they'll have nothing but success, and I will be there supporting them every step of the way," she said.
Cox is considered as the greatest Australian netball shooter and captained the country for nine times throughout her career
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Roger Federer Regains Deadly Service Game - Andy Roddick
- Jeremy Lin Seeks Respect From Lakers Star Kobe Bryant
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown