Catherine Cox to Retire from International Netball
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | April 11, 2014 3:20 PM EST
The 37-year-old Cox, on declaration of her retirement, will not be available for the selection process in Australia Diamonds squad next week. She, however, will play with Vixens for the rest of the matches for the Trans-Tasman league.
"I'm looking forward to waking up and enjoying a life away from the netball court ... I obviously want to stay involved with netball in some capacity beyond this season, this sport has given me so much and I have loved every minute of it, but after more than 18 years you just know when it's time for a change and something new in your life," Cox said in a statement.
The Vixens have secured a strong position as they moved two steps up in the chart, after defeating Queensland Firebirds by 50-38 on Monday night.
"I desperately want the Vixens to make the final and I don't want the end of the season to be about my retirement, it took me a long time to make this decision but now we can move on with the season as a team and do what we need to do to win a premiership," Cox added.
Cox further stated she would not like to pursue the upcoming 2015 World Championships or Glasgow Commonwealth Games, since it involves a full-time commitment.
"I'd been in consultation with Lisa Alexander (Diamonds head coach) about how I was feeling and where my head was at for the last six months and I've made the judgment call that it wasn't right for me, nor would it be fair on the Australian team, to continue on when I see the Diamonds' next couple of years as a block period with the Commonwealth Games and World Champs if I wasn't fully committed ... There are so many great shooters in Australia to choose from so I know they'll have nothing but success, and I will be there supporting them every step of the way," she said.
Cox is considered as the greatest Australian netball shooter and captained the country for nine times throughout her career
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal’s Coach Reveals The Spanish Athlete Will Be Back On Court Soon
- Serena Williams Swagger Back After US Open - Mark Hodgkinson
- Manny Pacquiao Is The Greatest Fighter That Ever Lived Declares Magician David Blaine
- Guardiola Mockingly States That Man Utd Does Not Have The Means To Acquire Bayern Munich Players
- Novak Djokovic Stars In A New Commercial For Gerble Sans Gluten et Sans Souci
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS