Catherine Cox to Retire from International Netball
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | April 11, 2014 3:20 PM EST
The 37-year-old Cox, on declaration of her retirement, will not be available for the selection process in Australia Diamonds squad next week. She, however, will play with Vixens for the rest of the matches for the Trans-Tasman league.
"I'm looking forward to waking up and enjoying a life away from the netball court ... I obviously want to stay involved with netball in some capacity beyond this season, this sport has given me so much and I have loved every minute of it, but after more than 18 years you just know when it's time for a change and something new in your life," Cox said in a statement.
The Vixens have secured a strong position as they moved two steps up in the chart, after defeating Queensland Firebirds by 50-38 on Monday night.
"I desperately want the Vixens to make the final and I don't want the end of the season to be about my retirement, it took me a long time to make this decision but now we can move on with the season as a team and do what we need to do to win a premiership," Cox added.
Cox further stated she would not like to pursue the upcoming 2015 World Championships or Glasgow Commonwealth Games, since it involves a full-time commitment.
"I'd been in consultation with Lisa Alexander (Diamonds head coach) about how I was feeling and where my head was at for the last six months and I've made the judgment call that it wasn't right for me, nor would it be fair on the Australian team, to continue on when I see the Diamonds' next couple of years as a block period with the Commonwealth Games and World Champs if I wasn't fully committed ... There are so many great shooters in Australia to choose from so I know they'll have nothing but success, and I will be there supporting them every step of the way," she said.
Cox is considered as the greatest Australian netball shooter and captained the country for nine times throughout her career
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Chelsea FC: Mourinho Hints Cesc Fabregas Could Succeed John Terry As Club Captain
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS