Catherine Cox to Retire from International Netball
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | April 11, 2014 3:20 PM EST
The 37-year-old Cox, on declaration of her retirement, will not be available for the selection process in Australia Diamonds squad next week. She, however, will play with Vixens for the rest of the matches for the Trans-Tasman league.
"I'm looking forward to waking up and enjoying a life away from the netball court ... I obviously want to stay involved with netball in some capacity beyond this season, this sport has given me so much and I have loved every minute of it, but after more than 18 years you just know when it's time for a change and something new in your life," Cox said in a statement.
The Vixens have secured a strong position as they moved two steps up in the chart, after defeating Queensland Firebirds by 50-38 on Monday night.
"I desperately want the Vixens to make the final and I don't want the end of the season to be about my retirement, it took me a long time to make this decision but now we can move on with the season as a team and do what we need to do to win a premiership," Cox added.
Cox further stated she would not like to pursue the upcoming 2015 World Championships or Glasgow Commonwealth Games, since it involves a full-time commitment.
"I'd been in consultation with Lisa Alexander (Diamonds head coach) about how I was feeling and where my head was at for the last six months and I've made the judgment call that it wasn't right for me, nor would it be fair on the Australian team, to continue on when I see the Diamonds' next couple of years as a block period with the Commonwealth Games and World Champs if I wasn't fully committed ... There are so many great shooters in Australia to choose from so I know they'll have nothing but success, and I will be there supporting them every step of the way," she said.
Cox is considered as the greatest Australian netball shooter and captained the country for nine times throughout her career
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Has Got Chris Algieri Fight All Figured Out
- New York Knicks Vs. Cleveland Cavaliers Live Streaming Info, Preview And Betting Odds
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Los Angeles Lakers Suffer Second Straight Loss, Phoenix Suns Deal Kobe Bryant Another Blowout Defeat, 119-99
- Rafael Nadal To Kick Off 2015 Season At The Mubadala World Tennis Championship, Undergoes Knee Treatment Prior Appendectomy
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- 8 Important Things to Consider Before Buying or Upgrading to iPad Air 2