Tennis Superstars Maria Sharapova, Rafael Nadal, Venus and Serena Williams Before They Made It Big [VIDEO]
By Rachelle Corpuz | April 11, 2014 2:32 PM EST
Before Maria Sharapova, Rafael Nadal, and Venus and Serena Williams made it big, they were a bunch of amateur players too. Success didn't come easy for them and they had to work their way up to be noticed and become successful.
Russian tennis player Maria Sharapova holds the Olympic flame during the opening ceremony of the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games February 7, 2014. REUTERS/Brian Snyder
Trans World Sport apparently had a knack in somewhat predicting the athletes that would soon make it big in the sporting world someday. They were able to get snaps of some of the in sport athletes before they became famous such as Rafael Nadal, Maria Sharapova, and Venus and Serena Williams. Here's a link to the video.
Nadal was discovered having a talent for tennis at a very young age of three years old. His uncle, Toni Nadal, who used to play professional tennis, was the one who started training him, according to Biography.com. As young as eight years old, Nadal had already achieved championship title in an under-12 tennis tournament. He had basically been playing tennis all his life. In 2005, Nadal won his first French Open title when he was only 19 years old. It was also the first time that he had participated in such tournament. Currently, Nadal is the top-ranked male athlete in the Association of Tennis Professionals (ATP) world rankings.
Much like Nadal, Sharapova has practically lived her life playing tennis as well. She started playing tennis when she was nine years old. Her father even enrolled her at a tennis academy in Florida to further hone her tennis abilities. She bagged her first-ever World Tennis Association (WTA) victory at the 2003 AIG Japan Open. Back then, she was only 14 years old. She ranks fifth in the world at present time.
Venus Williams is a former World No. 1. She currently sits at the 29th spot in the world rankings as of March 1, 2014. Her father was the one who introduced her to tennis. She became a professional tennis athlete at the age of 14. She has won seven Grand Slam titles and five Wimbledon championships.
Serena, Venus's younger sister, is the top-ranked athlete in the world. She was only three years old when she started playing tennis with Venus. Serena turned professional in 1995, and ever since then, she had won innumerable achievements in tennis, in addition to four Olympic gold medals. She has won 32 major titles up-to-date. Currently, Serena is the defending champion of the U.S. Open, French Open, WTA Tour Championships, and Olympic ladies singles tournament.
The four athletes mentioned above all share the same passion - and that is the passion for the sport of tennis. They started off at a very young age with determination and drive to succeed, which could well be the reasons why they became successful in their field of sport.
MORE SPORTS/ENTERTAINMENT NEWS:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Will Probably Pick Between Amir Khan Or Manny Pacquiao For Next Fight According to Uncle Jeff
- Rafael Nadal Back In Action To Target Novak Djokovic At China Open
- Bruce Jenner Says Lamar Odom Should Follow His Heart If He Wants To Get Back Together With Khloe Kardashian
- Maria Sharapova On Relationship With Grigor Dimitrov: ‘Everything Is Great’; Dimitrov Was Present At Sharapova’s First Round Match In China
- Tony Stewart Reveals Retirement Not In Options, Reflects On His Life After the Fatal Crash
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate