FIFA World Cup 2014: A Guide to Salvador
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | April 11, 2014 2:31 PM EST
Salvador is the capital of the Brazilian state Bahia. It is also one of the largest cities in the northwestern part of Brazil. The city is well known for the colonial architecture built during the time of Portuguese rule and is enlisted in the World Heritage Site by UNESCO.
Salvador city grew up on a triangular peninsula. The upper (Cidade Alta) and lower (Cidade Baixa) part of the city is divided with an escarpment.
The upper area, often referred as Pelourinho, is the oldest part of the city packed with historical sites, museums, restaurants, bars, nightlife and a swarm of tourists from different corners of the world.
Salvador houses the most important airport of Brazil. The Luis Eduardo Magalhães International Airport connects to international destinations like South America, United States and Europe, along with domestic flights to other cities within the country.
Salvador also has long-distance bus facilities to travel around the country or even to Paraguay. There are local taxi and bus services available to commute within the city.
In regard to gastronomy, Salvador is considered the best in Brazil. There are many restaurants in the city - either cheap or expensive, offering different cuisine. The city also has good number of nightclubs and bars.
For accommodation, tourists can avail either luxurious or budget-friendly hotels.
Itaipava Arena Fonte Nova
Like other cities of Brazil hosting the world cup 2014, Salvador is also busy to add the final touch to host one of the most coveted tournaments in soccer.
The new stadium took around two-and-half-years for construction. The old stadium (Estádio Fonte Nova) was demolished in 2010 and the construction took up in the same place. The stadium was finally completed on early 2013 and was opened for public on April 5, 2013.
The Arena Fonte Nova was renovated offering every possible amenity as per the regulations set by FIFA to host the world cup matches. Currently it has a capacity of 48,747 seats aside 2,100 premium seats and 70 VIP stands.
How to reach
The new stadium is located in a strategic location and is very near to the central part of the city. It is possible to take a walk from the centre to reach the stadium.
The weather of Salvador is more or less same all throughout the year with hot and humid climate. January receives the lowest rainfall while the highest rainfall comes from the month of April to July.
Itaipava Arena Fonte Nova will host six matches for the upcoming FIFA World Cup. Following are the matches and the date as scheduled:
In the second round, the city will be able to catch the action between Winner of Group H with the Runner up of Group G, followed by a quarter-final round.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Monday Night Football Recap: Chicago Bears 27, New York Jets 19
Join the Conversation
- MMA News: Transgender Fighter Fallon Fox Challenges Ronda Rousey, Fires Back on ‘Ignorant’ Comments
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Points Out Amir Khan's Poor Boxing Record
- Floyd Mayweather Admits Marcos Maidana’s Power Shot Hurt Him [VIDEO]
- Khloe Kardashian Reportedly Having A Hard Time Deciding Whether Or Not To Patch Things Up With Lamar Odom
- NFL Week 3: Washington Redskins Vs. Philadelphia Eagles Live Streaming Information And Preview
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- U.S and Canada Fighter Jets Chase Out Russian Jets Near Alaska: Air Space Violation Not Confirmed
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?