FIFA World Cup 2014: A Guide to Salvador
By Dhrubajyoti Biswas | April 11, 2014 2:31 PM EST
Salvador is the capital of the Brazilian state Bahia. It is also one of the largest cities in the northwestern part of Brazil. The city is well known for the colonial architecture built during the time of Portuguese rule and is enlisted in the World Heritage Site by UNESCO.
Salvador city grew up on a triangular peninsula. The upper (Cidade Alta) and lower (Cidade Baixa) part of the city is divided with an escarpment.
The upper area, often referred as Pelourinho, is the oldest part of the city packed with historical sites, museums, restaurants, bars, nightlife and a swarm of tourists from different corners of the world.
Salvador houses the most important airport of Brazil. The Luis Eduardo Magalhães International Airport connects to international destinations like South America, United States and Europe, along with domestic flights to other cities within the country.
Salvador also has long-distance bus facilities to travel around the country or even to Paraguay. There are local taxi and bus services available to commute within the city.
In regard to gastronomy, Salvador is considered the best in Brazil. There are many restaurants in the city - either cheap or expensive, offering different cuisine. The city also has good number of nightclubs and bars.
For accommodation, tourists can avail either luxurious or budget-friendly hotels.
Itaipava Arena Fonte Nova
Like other cities of Brazil hosting the world cup 2014, Salvador is also busy to add the final touch to host one of the most coveted tournaments in soccer.
The new stadium took around two-and-half-years for construction. The old stadium (Estádio Fonte Nova) was demolished in 2010 and the construction took up in the same place. The stadium was finally completed on early 2013 and was opened for public on April 5, 2013.
The Arena Fonte Nova was renovated offering every possible amenity as per the regulations set by FIFA to host the world cup matches. Currently it has a capacity of 48,747 seats aside 2,100 premium seats and 70 VIP stands.
How to reach
The new stadium is located in a strategic location and is very near to the central part of the city. It is possible to take a walk from the centre to reach the stadium.
The weather of Salvador is more or less same all throughout the year with hot and humid climate. January receives the lowest rainfall while the highest rainfall comes from the month of April to July.
Itaipava Arena Fonte Nova will host six matches for the upcoming FIFA World Cup. Following are the matches and the date as scheduled:
In the second round, the city will be able to catch the action between Winner of Group H with the Runner up of Group G, followed by a quarter-final round.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Kate Middleton First Official Solo Trip: Details For Malta Tour Revealed [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin Happy Houston Rockets Sent Him To LA Lakers
- Jeremy Lin's Trade To Los Angeles Lakers Is An Opportunity To Reinvent His Brand
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Group B Preview, Schedule and Key Players: Argentina, Greece, Croatia Favourites To Top Opening Round
- Floyd Mayweather Proves He Can Read, Releases An Audio Of Him Reading
- American Heavyweight Boxer Amir Mansour Says It’s Disrespectful For 50 Cent To Take Jabs At Floyd Mayweather On Social Media
- Why Moto X is Not the Best Smartphone to Purchase Now?
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Two Weeks to Go Starting at $800 with New Phosphorus HealthKit Chip
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini vs. LG G3 S (aka LG G3 Beat, LG G3 Mini) – Specs, Features And Price Showdown
- Bill Shorten Calls Tony Abbott 'Ineligible' To Lead Australia; Government Party-Room Leaks On Abbott'sTravel Entitlements
- Google Nexus 6 Release May Be the New Google Nexus X Smartphone as New Details Emerge